Review: Toribash

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
[HEADING=1]"Toribash: Violence Perfected"[/HEADING]​

In a time where I feel that the term "originality" is getting tossed around way too carelessly, it's nice to sometimes have the ability to turn to the indie game scene. I often find that the most unique gaming experiences come from the developers with the least amount of funding, with the big companies having a tendency towards demanding a more or less constant stream of games buildt around standard recipes.

Toribash is, as you might have guessed by now, an indie game, created by Hampus Söderstrom, a swedish software developer currently based in Singapore along with the rest of Nabi Studios. While standard fighting games such as the Dead or Alive series and Street Fighter series allow you to kick ass based on which button combination you decide to mash, Toribash has taken the whole concept a little bit further and made a game based around "free fighting".

Firstly: If we're gonna place it in a genre cabinet, I honestly have no idea which one. It's a fighting game, but it's turn-based and you'd put more emphasis on calling it a strategy game than an action game, even if it's delightfully visceral. You control various "joints" on a humanoid ragdoll, usually with the purpose of inflicting as much harm as possible on the opposing ragdoll. I suppose the main idea is to give the player maximum freedom over his character, and the option to do just about anything you want.

Actually accomplishing this however is easier said than done. You always have the possibilities, but you also get constantly reminded that as a new gamer you're more likely to do some spastic, random dance moves before collapsing into a twitching lump on the ground rather than handing out a genuine can of whoopass, even in single player mode. The game's biggest feature is also it's biggest 'issue': It's fucking hard! In multiplayer you're introduced to "newbie" servers that allow people such as yourself to do some feeble attempts in inflicting damage to other people such as yourself. When you "belt up" (it's basically like leveling only you get forced difficulty levels instead of handfast rewards) you have to move on to the 'higher belt' servers, which means you will face harder opponents. Somewhere on this road you will face the difficulty curve. Which happens to be a concrete wall.

Most new players quit upon facing said wall due to the fact that they feel unable to encounter the enlightenment needed to excel at climbing it. The concept is unique and thus it's very difficult to learn, and you have to both adapt a routine for which joint does what, and later a deep understanding for the physics engine and why it hates you. And even then you're likely to get a royal rectal treatment from the really good players. If you've watched some videos on youtube, and additionally tried the game, you'll agree with me that being amazed of certain players' abilities is completely justified.

Nabi's main focus seems fairly simple: Since it's first version back in 2006 the game has been expanded a number of times with improved graphics, mods, scripts, the ability to customize your ragdoll and pretty much worked hard to give the impression that the developers' ideology is mostly focussed around the theory that "freedom R good". I can respect that, I mean, a lot of sandbox games nowadays get complaints about being too restricted, so with a demand for increased freedom, maybe Toribash really is a game for the future? It's showed out to be a sturdy creation, especially now that the developers are getting steady income from the products available in the "ToriShop". (All usually just custom colors and such that add little but more inches to your e-peen, but still a profitable business.)

Now, I feel like I should present a pretty integral part of this game: The community. You'll be introduced to a forum and IRC-based society that consists of several social layers, not unlike any other internet forum. When you join up you'll quickly discover that people really don't care much about you or even notice you, and if you try to make yourself well-known early on, you'd better do something fantastic, with perfected grammar, or else the many elitist predators of the community will certainly feast on your noobiety. That said, Toribash has a community where getting fame is easier than in most other games. Being really good at the game itself will get you some status as a badass-action hero that the "serious" clans would like to include with them on their road to world-domination. Being a notable poster on the forums will get you tons of respect, and, with the right sort of IRC activity, maybe even a status within the site administration. There are toplists of the best players and it's all about comparing and excelling; wether it's ingame provess or just e-peen. While some might not like this, I personally enjoy it as I have a competitive streak that awards me satisfaction every time I'm better at someone at anything.

Interestingly enough, a release for the WiiWare is in development which means that a special game will port at a special console. In my eyes, this can have only two outcomes - Either 1; It becomes a success and the game will recieve praise for bringing it's uniqueness from the indie geeks to "the people", or 2; the combo does not work out well and the clash results in an unintuitive game that quickly gets forgotten after some poor reviews.

Having played this game for almost three years now, it should be obvious where I stand on this matter. I must say it's very hard for me to be critical towards a game when I have nothing to compare it against, or no view on how I think it should be. One only has to remember this about the game: It's difficult to the point where it feels hostile, but when you master it, the feeling of accomplishment is without comparison in the world of gaming. Getting a fluent replay where you actually do something cool is a great reward in itself. It is unique, it is fun, and if nothing else, it's a game one should check out just for the sake of trying it. The majority of players do not stick with this game, but who expects the first piece of a new art direction to be enjoyed by everyone?

Comments would be appreciated.

PS: Oh and by the woo;

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
I played this game once and couldn't get further than making my guy some kind of awkward 'fall over' attack.

Good review though. I'd never played online, but might revisit thanks to your recommendation

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Toribash is teh shizz once you figure out your own signiature move. I've forgotten mine, but there was much dismemberment.

ShotgunShaman

Apr 1, 2009
Fun game, but if very short term memory serves, you forgot to mention the mods. On top of the freedom of the gameplay and character customization, you can make and download mods, where, for example, the players hands are humongous dildos that automatically dismember body parts upon impact.

Good review, and I agree with all those points.

War_Hero

Jul 5, 2009
Ohey. War_Hero here. I've played Toribash for two years and a hair. Its a very difficult game, but I've never played another game so free. There are some simply amazing things you can do in toribash. I once saw a guy rip every part off both ragdolls.
I like my screen shot better than yours.

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
ShotgunShaman said:
Fun game, but if very short term memory serves, you forgot to mention the mods. On top of the freedom of the gameplay and character customization, you can make and download mods, where, for example, the players hands are humongous dildos that automatically dismember body parts upon impact.
But I did mention mods :O

CMon said:
improved graphics, mods, scripts, the ability to customize your ragdoll
^

Also, I added a little youtube video to the first post as a demonstration of how cool it can be :)

War_Hero said:
Oh shut it, War :p

Gynx

Jul 5, 2009
Amazing game, I've been playing this since August 2007. The community is a great place to spend your time and the game is too, watching the pros do their thing makes you want to strive to get better.

Maybe post some videos CMon, other than that, very nice review.

EDIT - You added one, nice. How about CheZDa's Velocity Shift, too?

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
Gynx said:
EDIT - You added one, nice. How about CheZDa's Velocity Shift, too?
Let's not make people think "CheZDa = God" here :p

If anyone's interested in more Toribash videos they might aswell just go to youtube and search for it ;]

red hare

May 28, 2009
Exelent review, a friend turned me onto the game a few years ago. Im not very good, but its a CRAZY good way to pass time when hacking the government gets boring ;)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
War_Hero said:
Ohey. War_Hero here. I've played Toribash for two years and a hair. Its a very difficult game, but I've never played another game so free. There are some simply amazing things you can do in toribash. I once saw a guy rip every part off both ragdolls.
I smell troll, be nice. Also - This game looks ace.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I've had this game on my PC for a few months now, and played it a bit now and again. It's crazy hard, that's for sure, but there's no satisfaction like figuring out something cool (or copying a cool move from a video, hee hee).

CMon

Jun 18, 2009
WrongSprite said:
This game XD It's bloody impossible.
Some hints then?

- Using mouse and mousewheel is more effective and quicker than using mouse and zxc.
- When in single player, pressing space+shift will allow you to only move one frame at a time. Useful if you want to make some careful, more accurate movements.
- When in multiplayer, pressing "B" will allow you to see both ghosts, which is very useful for calculating impacts and landings.

Rawflcakes

Feb 21, 2009
Ah, I remember Toribash, my signature move was a bicycle kick, didn't work very often, infact i was pretty much a spazzed-out lump on the floor every match.

Bradfucius

Oct 20, 2008
This game is really good, but also incredibly hard. It takes many hours of dedicated practice to even begin to be ok. But once you start learning how to control the ragdoll, this game has more possibilities than any other fighting game