Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
They are "Cybertronian vehicles" apparently.

Because they look funky and hover. I think.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
tehroc said:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.
http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.ImageFileViewer/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles.00.00.00.00.09/0407.optimus-vehicle.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Really? How many trucks like this have you seen on Earth? :)

They're supposed to be similar I think to the earth forms in relative size and shape, so Bumblebee looks like he could be close to a bug, but the design is cybertronian/alien. Or they just wanted something that looks cool.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...
The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...
The classes aren't badly balanced at all, really. You might think soldiers are OP compared to scouts if your tactics as a scout are to try and take the soldier on face to face. Leaders can do that, especially with war cry (and their utterly brutal melee attack), Scouts and Scientists, well, can't. But if you're a scout, you have cloak, so you don't need to take the Soldier on face to face, and if you do then you deserve to lose, you cloak, run up behind him, whack him with your melee and then finish him with your shotgun. Or you can snipe him, a headshot with the Null Ray takes half the soldier's health off, and it doesn't exactly have a slow refire rate.

Indeed, the scout is basically the counter to the soldier, it's the one class the soldier is least able to deal with.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I'm suprised it's by activision.
The game is very balanced. Nothing is over or underpowered in this game. Almost every time I play the Scout, I'm either top or close to the top of my teams scoreboard. Hell, I went 10-2 in my very first match with the Scout.

The ticket to the scout is being versatile. Don't stop moving. Jump, barrel roll in car form and dash as much as you can when facing an enemy to throw off their aim. Tactically use your cloak ability so you don't get slaughtered.

OT: This game is the most fun I've had in a long time. Co-op is a freaking blast with friends and multiplayer is pretty easy to get the hang of. The only complaint I have is that they really need to work some connection issues that have been annoying me.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
This looks pretty fun. Simple but full of robot on robot action and that's how I like it. Only thing though. How can they transform into vechiles if they haven't visited earth yet? I mean this guy was a transformers fan didn't he know they just transformed into generic space vechiles before hitting earth? Oh well I suppose that would kinda make things more generic looking and iconic designs a little less iconic. And that's all to the game? Just a dozen levels and multiplayer? Where's the sidequest invovling the dinobots or a secret level in which you can play as beast machines?

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
tehroc said:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.
QFT. I mean, yea, they're "hovercars" or something, but I dunno... cars just seems weird on Cybertron well before earth came into the picture. I suppose you gotta stay within the canon, though, as seeing Bumblebee turn into a strange techno-speeder would feel wrong, too.

Of all the things reviewed though, the multiplayer sounds the most appealing. I, too, will have to rent it and check it out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
As a non-fan, I have to say that the gameplay looks pretty decent.

Probably not good enough to part me from my cash, but certainly not bad.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

What should they transform into?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Pipotchi said:
The one thing that annoys me about the game is that all the transformers (except the planes obvuously) all turn in to cars, trucks etc. However they dont drive on the floor they just hover about and strafe rather than turn so why do they have wheels?
there's a button you can press that stops them hovering and uses there wheels for the extra speed >_<
while hovering you get to strife, but its much slower, with wheels down your pretty much limited to going forward.

also good review, I been playing this almost every day since it came out, and you really did the game justice. which makes since if your a TF fan like you seem to be.

Malshien

Feb 3, 2010
GloatingSwine said:
Anyone who is boggled as to why the Transformers turn into cars and stuff on Cybertron, ask yourselves this:

Damn good point. I own and have completed this game, big fan of the original series and for the first time since the ps2 game, I can say I really enjoyed a transformers game. Going back to the quote I copied, I read some of the Dreamwave comics and the designs the game team came up with aren't that far removed from what dreamwave depicted when they reinvented the cybertronian forms. Personally I liked the fact that the vehicles in the game (well the fast sporty ones anyway) hovered and drop down their wheels to a kind of magnetic wheel to stick to the planet as they thrust along. I thought it was clever and an interesting way of showing the old forms in new ways.

Anyways fantastic game and fast, frantic and fun multiplayer, I recommend it heartily!

Oh I saw this and thought I would share it with you guys, fantastic ad for those who get the reference! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkjNF9JSPE&feature=player_embedded

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I got this yesterday. Totally lived up to the promises too. My only 2 complaints are the totally useless buddy AI and the relatively short amount of time you get to kick-ass in jet form. Could've done with a little bit more of Starscream, IMHO.

EDIT: Fortunately though, it's an Activision game (something I never thought I'd hear myself saying) so a sequel is probably already in the works.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
GloatingSwine said:

Exactly. Why would technology such as cars and jets be off limits to a race of hyper-advanced sentient robots? Besides, this is possibly the best way to deal with both transit and transportation - every bot has a fast and reliable way of getting from A to B much quicker than on foot, and extremely big bots could even transport smaller ones.

OT: As of right now, this game is my personal GotY. Even without the attached license it's a pretty good game, but the fanboy/nostalgia factor pushes this title right to the top for me. (That said, Darksiders and Alan Wake aren't far behind.)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Just literally completed the game and it's the best I've played to date, campaign is fun, not repetitive at all, the characters are good, but i would like the option to play as more transformers in the story mode and not just a choice of 3 for each mission. Multiplayer is great, although they have copied of MW2 a little with the kill streaks...but at least they are not over powered.

I also like how Optimus is the only transformer with the proper sound from the cartoons, or just about, meh Bumblebee should have that sound, isn't he like, the mascot of transformers? But mehh, still awesome XD

aside from little bugs it's amazing and i hope High Moon Studio's make more, or maybe Beast Wars?

Oooh btw the song at the end of the game is unreal, for geeks like me anyway XD

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
The gameplay itself is really kind of mediocre. But the story combined with the nostalgia of a real TF world make it a great game.

Was pretty freakin' awesome the first time I was playing co-op campaign with friends and we all transformed into car mode and sped away. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Wow, this is miraculous news. I'm sure Transformers fans were counting on having the franchise redeemed one of these days, but this soon? And with property used in the movie?? (Those butt-ugly designs look much better in a video game than they do on the silver screen.)

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
arc1991 said:
Oooh btw the song at the end of the game is unreal, for geeks like me anyway XD
Just finished it. I cried a little inside when it hit me :D