Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
I will get this game in memory of all the awesome potential that was mercilessly slaughtered by Micheal Bay for the movies.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
God I hate that credits song.

Not only does it sound bad but.. someone didn't do their homework...

"Transformers, defenders of truth"

The Decepticons are transformers too... that line is flawed.

Edit:

tehroc said:
Only thing I don't understand, if it occurs 4 million years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms?
Fixed. Also, as many have said, they are cybertronian vehicles. If you watch the original show, their vehicular forms were hover cars and jets and the like before they came to earth.

Hell, Soundwave was a lamp post. That's part of my biggest beef with the game is the little mistakes in story. But I can easily overlook it due to the fact that every transformers game before it has let me down MUCH greater than that. Frankly... it's fun... and that's what matters.

And lastly (till the next time) Stan Bush did that song?! I'm so disappointed right now...

Editx2:

orangeapples said:
This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.
Actually, they didn't take on beast modes to hide, they took them to protect themselves from the high amounts of energon that existed on the planet.

I'm getting the impression that no one seemed to understand the history of the transformers and that's the problem we are running into with the vehicle forms.

Cybertron was built by the Quintessons to be a giant factory and created the transformers as factor workers. At that time, they were just robots, they did not transform. Eventually, the robots rebelled and the Quintessons fled. There was peace on the planet for a while, then the military grade robots (later known as the Decepticons) wanted to be in charge, while the factory workers (Aka Autobots) resisted their tyrannical rule. The Autobots invented a means to hide themselves from their enemies, and thus the first Transformers were born. They really were robots in disguise, and it had nothing to do with hiding from humans. They were hiding from their enemies. The Decepticons soon followed suit when the advantages of being able to transform were seen.

twasdfzxcv

Mar 30, 2010
If this game takes place before transformers go to earth, why do they still transform to earth like vehicles? In fact why do they even need to transform in their own planet?

Popcicle42

Feb 25, 2010
poiumty said:
Popcicle42 said:
tehroc said:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.
QFT. I mean, yea, they're "hovercars" or something, but I dunno... cars just seems weird on Cybertron well before earth came into the picture. I suppose you gotta stay within the canon, though, as seeing Bumblebee turn into a strange techno-speeder would feel wrong, too.

Of all the things reviewed though, the multiplayer sounds the most appealing. I, too, will have to rent it and check it out.
I actually felt quite relieved that Optimus&co didn't transform into old-fashioned earth vehicles, and turned instead into these high-tech hovercars.

Besides that, why should it bug you? Human-like features aren't built for speed anyway. If i could turn into a car, i would.
I suppose it's more that a civilation built entirely by robots can transform into other, faster forms... and they choose something that looks like a 90's Audi TT with hoverwheels. For a race of mechanical aliens 1000 years in the past, I'd think they'd look more... alien? But, as I said, it would look even stranger to see him be a Camero with wheels, and Shia LaBouf in the driver's seat, so I'll accept the hovercar happily over that! Plus, you want some sort of connection with the characters you already have... if Bumblebee didn't turn into something car-like and yellow, then I guess he wouldn't really be Bumblebee, would he!

That said, I guess you could say the same for the "human" form, too... why not a spider walker, or tripod, or something else? Two arms, two legs, human-ish face. But that's the imagery of Transformers, and I wouldn't want someone messing with a part of my childhood too much.

As for turning into a car... well, depends on the car. I'll take a pass if I turn into my crappy Honda Civic, but if I could turn into a Bugati Veyron...

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
O-o..What was the name of the song that was playing at the end of the video?...O-o..and where can I find it?

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
Ok so the only other beef with this game I have is the current server issues. The connection rate is quite poor and it's crippling this otherwise AMAZING game.

Draconalis said:
God I hate that credits song.

Not only does it sound bad but.. someone didn't do their homework...

"Transformers, defenders of truth"

The Decepticons are transformers too... that line is flawed.

Edit:

tehroc said:
Only thing I don't understand, if it occurs 4 million years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms?
Fixed. Also, as many have said, they are cybertronian vehicles. If you watch the original show, their vehicular forms were hover cars and jets and the like before they came to earth.

Hell, Soundwave was a lamp post. That's part of my biggest beef with the game is the little mistakes in story. But I can easily overlook it due to the fact that every transformers game before it has let me down MUCH greater than that. Frankly... it's fun... and that's what matters.

And lastly (till the next time) Stan Bush did that song?! I'm so disappointed right now...

Editx2:

orangeapples said:
This is something Beast Wars did right. They were just robots until the landed on the planet and searched for appropriate forms as disguises. If they were cars and jets they'd just stand out.
Actually, they didn't take on beast modes to hide, they took them to protect themselves from the high amounts of energon that existed on the planet.

I'm getting the impression that no one seemed to understand the history of the transformers and that's the problem we are running into with the vehicle forms.

Cybertron was built by the Quintessons to be a giant factory and created the transformers as factor workers. At that time, they were just robots, they did not transform. Eventually, the robots rebelled and the Quintessons fled. There was peace on the planet for a while, then the military grade robots (later known as the Decepticons) wanted to be in charge, while the factory workers (Aka Autobots) resisted their tyrannical rule. The Autobots invented a means to hide themselves from their enemies, and thus the first Transformers were born. They really were robots in disguise, and it had nothing to do with hiding from humans. They were hiding from their enemies. The Decepticons soon followed suit when the advantages of being able to transform were seen.
Thank you, just mentioned everything I was going to bring up, especially the bit about the Beast Wars. I'd also like to add that the cybertronians in Beast Wars did have vehicle modes, you just never see them in their cybertronian form during the show. For instance, Dinobot (Raptor) was Dynobot on cybertron and his alternate mode was a digger of sorts.

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
The one thing that really aggravates me about this game is that there is no offline multiplayer. They raved about this game being build for multiplayer (aka, it would have a short story) and I hoped they wouldn't make the whole bloody thing online. Really wanted to play this game split screen with my Wife, but they must think no one who's interested in a Transformers gave has any real life friends who would come over to play.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Butterjaw said:
Thank you, just mentioned everything I was going to bring up, especially the bit about the Beast Wars. I'd also like to add that the cybertronians in Beast Wars did have vehicle modes, you just never see them in their cybertronian form during the show. For instance, Dinobot (Raptor) was Dynobot on cybertron and his alternate mode was a digger of sorts.
I was actually going to mention that... but I wonder sometimes. It might have just been the CGI of the 90s, but their "protoform" modes didn't look like they had an alternate form. Especially when you consider what a massive Cybertronian nerf "The Great Upgrade" was. I know they should have alternate forms... but I debate if they really did.

Hell, after the war was over, and peace reigned for as long as it did... why would they need alternate modes for which to hide, anyway?

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
Burgertime said:
The one thing that really aggravates me about this game is that there is no offline multiplayer. They raved about this game being build for multiplayer (aka, it would have a short story) and I hoped they wouldn't make the whole bloody thing online. Really wanted to play this game split screen with my Wife, but they must think no one who's interested in a Transformers gave has any real life friends who would come over to play.
Well, you could always play campaign with her...*shrugs*

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
I was actually going to mention that... but I wonder sometimes. It might have just been the CGI of the 90s, but their "protoform" modes didn't look like they had an alternate form. Especially when you consider what a massive Cybertronian nerf "The Great Upgrade" was. I know they should have alternate forms... but I debate if they really did.

Hell, after the war was over, and peace reigned for as long as it did... why would they need alternate modes for which to hide, anyway?
Well they'd evolved that way, the alternate forms were just part of their make up. And clearly they adapted it to become anything, hence the beast forms and also plant forms in Beast Machines. They were able to survive on any planet due to their ability to adapt via alternate forms.

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Not a fan of the franchise personally but this seems like an interesting thing to pick up during a gap in my schedule. Especially nice to see that this is a game getting released on PC as well as consoles without an absurd length of waiting time.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Draconalis said:
Butterjaw said:
Beast Machines.
Let us not mention that abomination, please.
But... I liked it. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but is there a wide-spread consensus that BM was awful...? I mean, yeah, it was different, but personally I found it nearly as enjoyable as BW.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Sonicron said:
But... I liked it. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but is there a wide-spread consensus that BM was awful...? I mean, yeah, it was different, but personally I found it nearly as enjoyable as BW.
I don't know how wide spread it might have been, but I know that's when the established lore started to go out the window, and the series got bad. Everything after that was a nose dive (The japanese shows that were terrible)

My biggest complaint about that series, was the "Organic core" of cybertron... The planet was built. There is no organic core.

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
Draconalis said:
Sonicron said:
I don't know how wide spread it might have been, but I know that's when the established lore started to go out the window, and the series got bad. Everything after that was a nose dive (The japanese shows that were terrible)

My biggest complaint about that series, was the "Organic core" of cybertron... The planet was built. There is no organic core.

Yes the organic core bit was abit odd, but the series was good generally. It was different to Beast Wars, I was abit miffed about them turning Rhinox evil (properly this time)
and Ratrap losing all his weapons... but it worked I guess. I only brought it up to mention the plant forms as an example of the evolution of the transformation mechanism.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
I demand (ask) someone to find the end of that transformers song at the end of the video because it sounds pretty badass.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ots an ok to good game but its a bit to simple needs more weapons needs more customization, levels need to be larger especially the flying levels.

Still tis the ebst TF game hands down...but all in all it could be better.... I give it a solid 7.....

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Its interesting to note how this thread has transformed from Game Mode, to Show Mode.

I wonder... have they replaced that malfunctioning "keyboard control" transformation cog?

Drachknouir

Mar 11, 2009
ok I have a few words to say , first I have not stopped cussing at the tv yet .
playing this game with the ps3 interface is like trying to pull a hang nail out of your toe with your teeth it aint gonna happen . I love to die from a good ai fight ...... not from falling thew the floor because you cant walk , aim , shoot AND jump all at once = out come of 11 story fall .
having multiple options for the controller setup is great ... if that option changes more then 1 button IE not just swapping them . old guy here what ever ha-pend to letting ME decide what buttons I want to use ? there was at one time a "STANDARD" CONTROLLER LAYOUT ? HMMM HOW OLD ARE THE KIDS MAKING THESE GAMES NOW ?
meh 70 $ down the drain 5 min and im taking this game to the street and GIVING IT AWAY !! LOL inter face is that bad or im that pissed dono ?
it should be fun flying a ship meant for combat? starscream is carting his dead mom and her family in his hold its like flying a turtle in your pants ?
I just started the second chapter and its already apparent this game is another that is all looks / brains but just no coordination on the tech aspect = fail emer-tion yar I cant spell suck it :p

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
War for Cybertron is fantastic and actually fun online as I can't even hear the people with mics. Despite what people say the classes are balances just fine I play a scout and I use hit and run and get high kill streaks. If I linger around too long I get destroyed and that's exactly how it should be.