Review: X-Men Arcade

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Adjusted for inflation, the 100 quarters it would have taken to beat this game in the arcade would be worth $60.41 in today's dollars. So at $10, it's a steal.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
When they port over the Arcade version of Aliens v. Predator, I'll be content.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Okay you totally didn't mention something I felt was important. It's one of the only games I've found that utilizes the ps3's ability to have up to 7 players on one box (that isn't a sports game). My buddies brought over controllers and all six had a great nostalgia trip (FYI we were between ages 11-16 when the original came out)

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
cefm said:
Adjusted for inflation, the 100 quarters it would have taken to beat this game in the arcade would be worth $60.41 in today's dollars. So at $10, it's a steal.
Sadly, most of the people online actually couldn't beat the game without 100 quarters. Since using your mutant power without any charges saved up drains health, button-mashers will constantly be at 1 HP. This is why infinite continues breaks the game: you actually get more kills by going RRRRAAAAAAAA 5 times, dying to the next enemy, then hitting Start to try again.

loomis

Dec 2, 2010
A part of me woulden't mind playing a version of this where you would have to spend a set amount of online currency to get that feeling of the old arcade. I can see people hating that but I would have it only as an option and would honestly be the only way I can think of getting it a little closer where you would actually worry about how many continues you had left. The companies would be raking it in.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i loved this game back in the day but i really wish for that sports arcade game they had that had streetfighter like characters racing and competing in extreme olympic events like hadoken-ing the artilliary shells being fired at u or mach speed track n field. any1 know the game i'm talking about?

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
latenightapplepie said:
I think Steve is my favourite reviewer on the site. I just enjoy his reviews the most, but I'm not sure why.

In any case, keep up the good work, Mr Butts.
I think it's the voice. It's strangely appealing and well-suited to reviews.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'd probably get it if it was cheaper, but 10 bucks seems like a bit much. I remember the first time I played on the amazing 6 player cabinet. I would generally pick Colossus, Nightcrawler, or Wolverine.

Nowadays I'd probably pick Dazzler or Storm. I still won't take Cyclops, ever.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
The biggest knock I have against the game is the unlimited continues. It takes ALL the consequence and strategy out of the game. Since you have no fear of truly "dying," whenever bosses come on, everyone just keeps throwing their special moves, dying, respawning, throwing special moves, dying, rinse and repeat.

It's too bad that a game like TMNT Arcade turned out being the exception rather than the norm. That game really got it right. 19 lives to get to the end, and it is still a challenge. If they just put a lives limit on X-Men, it would be tons of fun. As-is though it's just more evidence that freeplay isn't always funplay.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
dastardly said:
Steve Butts said:
Review: X-Men Arcade

I am Magneto, Master of Magnet. Welcome to Die!

Read Full Article
Yeah, arcade ports are hard.

These games are designed to be played without manuals or real hint guides, so that players can pick them up on the fly. That means simple mechanics, simple fights, and a lot of repetition. You want the player to feel that they can do this, so that they'll keep pumping in quarters.

(That's how slot machines work, after all. Each loss convinces the player that they're "due" the next time around, because the "game" itself isn't getting any harder. They actually feel they're getting closer to a win, despite the obvious fallacy in that thinking.)

Non-arcade games are about building a very differently-shaped difficulty curve. Your player has unlimited opportunities to practice and refine skills, so you can demand more. Also, because they're shelling out $60 up front, rather than putting in maybe $5 in quarters, they expect more.
Slot machines work of the psychological necessity to make sense of things.

The reason gambling works is that it is entirely random. Your brain assumes it figured out the pattern but no pattern actually exists. Which is why people are rarely fulfilled with just 10 tries and must continue trying.

But yeah...basically what you said. Just wanted to follow up on it. The brain is constantly looking for patterns, convincing it that it found one is a great way to manipulate people and create superstition.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
theultimateend said:
Slot machines work of the psychological necessity to make sense of things.

The reason gambling works is that it is entirely random. Your brain assumes it figured out the pattern but no pattern actually exists. Which is why people are rarely fulfilled with just 10 tries and must continue trying.

But yeah...basically what you said. Just wanted to follow up on it. The brain is constantly looking for patterns, convincing it that it found one is a great way to manipulate people and create superstition.
Of course. What I'm talking about here is one of the concepts that fuels the "gambler's fallacy." The fact that something is random doesn't have any effect on us directly. What it does is play upon our sense of fairness (which is a type of pattern). The game exists, you know how it works, and therefore you should be able to win.

Arcade games are, in a lot of ways, just as random. It's simply a matter of having to push more buttons or pull more levers to achieve the result. There is skill required, sure, but these skills are generally pretty simple to get the hang of... and this skill component leads us to the false belief that the process is decided entirely based on skill. So we keep popping in quarters because, "Oh, wait, I see. No, I got this, I got this." We're convinced that losing just then taught us a new skill that will keep us from losing in the same way again.

Gambler's Fallacy: "I just have to keep pulling this lever. At some point, I'm due for a win." - We impose rules of fairness on the proceedings.

Gambler's Fallacy - Arcade version: "I just have to put in another quarter. I know how to beat this now, so I'm totally going to win." - Imposing rules of fairness again.

Different appearance, same mechanism.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Wish PSN have a wide variety of 'indie' games. They don't even have Limbo.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
At least SNK seems to understand keeping the old games challenging. The Neo-Geo games are tough! Now I remember how my friend and I dropped $10 on Magician Lord 20 years ago and still couldn't beat it.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
I watched the Freelance Astronaut's LP of this recently. All that matters is the "RRRAAAAGH!"

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Oh man, I remember that game. I played on it for a long while, and kept replaying it. It was a lot of fun, back in those days at least, and when you're about 10 years old.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
Ah yes! I remember spending many a quarter on this game, those were some good archade memeries, and I think that I'll definitely have to get it on my PS3. The good times will be had once more! And apparently, for only half an hour? Ah well, what price is there for nostalgia? ..About $10 apparently..

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Nice to see this game being made available again, and nice to see that they haven't messed around with it like they did with some of the other arcade brawler classics.