Review: Zeno Clash

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Another first person (sorta) brawler was Condemned. Just sayin.
And if I still pc gamed, I'd check this out.

AdamI

Mar 16, 2009
I've been playing and loving this game for a few days now. It's hard, and I'm stuck (at the market) but it's really, really FUN. So few games are FUN these days - so many are more like work than play...

locworks

Nov 7, 2007
Another useful titbit: Zeno Clash is available in English, Spanish, French, German and Polish, which is quite exceptional for an indie game.

Piotr Burzykowski
LocWorks - Play. Adapt. Disseminate.

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
Ahh, man, this review makes me wish I could play FP games. It sounds surreal and awesome.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Think it's time to trade it in the Xbox soon..There is no way something like this would ever make it to a console, unfortunately.

This uses a modified Source engine, right?

LuisEz

Jan 28, 2009
this game is made by southamericans from chile, and believe me, takes a lot of courage and effort make a video game here in the south (im from peru). so give it a try, its a great game.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
Actually it just uses the stock Episode 2 engine. This game looks very interesting. I am trying to get it but steam is bitching at me about my billing address. Have you guys heard about what the company did about the people pirating it? They asked them to buy it if they like it, just like all the cool indie devs. They are planning on releasing a demo of the game soon for people who are unsure of it.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'm considering buying this game just to see the strange world it takes place in. The gameplay can be mediocre for all I care, I just want to this games artistic design.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Kinda puts me in mind of Condemned, well the earlier parts of Condemned 2, as far as the gameplay goes. Do like the strange and bizarre world it is set in though.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
good review

apparently its made using the source engine for the half life stuff

to all the people who are 'iffy' about getting steam; GET IT, they have a deal every weekend, and sometimes its like 75% off, its like they are giving the games away some weeks

also demos, see if the games will run before you buy....even this game, i pronounce zen-o clash, has a demo

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
I definitely plan on getting this, but I have 2 questions

1. Can you kick?
2. I saw you using a sword or something at the end, is using melee weapons as good as the fist fights?

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
You can kick but its a crappy mechanic to do so. You have to aim your camera down at the ground and press the punch button (at least that's the only way I found to do it, maybe there's another way I was not aware of).

I downloaded the demo, and while I love the art direction and would love to explore the world, I have to say the subpar voice acting and controls discouraged me from getting into the game. I really didn't find the play control or fighting mechanics to be very good at all. The "locking on" system just seems to be clumsy and unneccessary. All it serves to do is restrict your view and movements from seeing what's going on around you.

Anyway, I know this isn't a discussion for the game I appologize for posting that here. Good review, and I agree on many of your points. Maybe if they had put squirrel bombs in the demo i would have considered purchasing it... then again maybe not.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure Zeno is pronounced with a short e, it's short for Zenozoik and we hear that said in the game a few times.

Kicks are mostly used to kick people when they're down or deal with wildlife. You also kick when you parry an attack and counter though that's more of a roundhouse kick.

Melee weapons are fairly clunky, they're really powerful but after you take damage there's a few seconds before you can start a swing with the weapon and there's no visual indication of that, leaving you feeling like Ghat doesn't obey your inputs. They're also really damn slow.

I agree the lock-on is unnecessary, it's not like someone right in front of you is hard to hit with manual aim. All it does is get in the way when you want to grab an object on the ground in the middle of a brawl. Well, okay, it's a way of letting you holster your weapon to avoid having it knocked away but I'd rather have a holster button for that since it often gets knocked away the moment I lose the lock on a target and Ghat pulls the weapon out again even if there's another enemy right next to you.

Also I'm not sure what's supposed to be confusing about the ending. Yeah, we don't know much about Golem but that's not really a direct part of the main story about the family.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KDR_11k said:
I'm pretty sure Zeno is pronounced with a short e, it's short for Zenozoik and we hear that said in the game a few times.

Kicks are mostly used to kick people when they're down or deal with wildlife. You also kick when you parry an attack and counter though that's more of a roundhouse kick.

Melee weapons are fairly clunky, they're really powerful but after you take damage there's a few seconds before you can start a swing with the weapon and there's no visual indication of that, leaving you feeling like Ghat doesn't obey your inputs. They're also really damn slow.

I agree the lock-on is unnecessary, it's not like someone right in front of you is hard to hit with manual aim. All it does is get in the way when you want to grab an object on the ground in the middle of a brawl. Well, okay, it's a way of letting you holster your weapon to avoid having it knocked away but I'd rather have a holster button for that since it often gets knocked away the moment I lose the lock on a target and Ghat pulls the weapon out again even if there's another enemy right next to you.

Also I'm not sure what's supposed to be confusing about the ending. Yeah, we don't know much about Golem but that's not really a direct part of the main story about the family.
The Rubik's Cube, man. What the HELL was with the Rubik's Cube?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Rubik's Cube, man. What the HELL was with the Rubik's Cube?
Having him pull out a DS wouldn't have fit into the time period? :p

Stephen87

Nov 5, 2007
I think that Hero's of might and magic: Dark messia already cracked that fps-sword fighting genre.

I loved this review, bought the game last night, finsihed it the 2 and a half hours later, worth every penny, a breath of fresh air.

The combat was a bit repeditive, but on the hardest difficulty level, was still challenging enough to make the game so much fun.

I would love an mmo-rpg-fps sandbox game that looked and felt like this game.