Reviewing rage... why?

ikoian

Feb 9, 2011
This question came up to me after reading review comments on a ton of games that get certain scores. Why do a whole lot of people cause an uproar over unfavorable reviews? This became evident after many unfavorable reviews for titles like Mario Kart 7, Duke Nukem Forever, Final Fantasy 13, Modern Warfare 3, whatever (I'm talking about both good and bad reviews). So many people trying to "defend" the title and point the finger at reviewers for being "unfair" as well and people calling good reviews bullshit or a sell out reviews. I personally face palmed when I herd that Destructoid's review of Final Fantasy 13 was considered "controversial."

Why people? Why does their score for a game you like or don't like matter to you? You're a fan of that series and were going to play the new installment anyways, you wanted to get that new game to enjoy it, you had no plans on getting that other game anyways, you personally did not like that title you played last. So why do you worry when a critic gives out a review you think disagree with and blow it out of proportion to the point were you call the review "wrong" or "bullshit". Further more, why do you groups insist on banding together to "defend" or "attack" a title just because of it's collection of reviews?

The only reasoning I can think of is that shut in gamers don't like bad reviews because it means less people talking about it on forums and playing on the multi-player servers which is their only means of socializing.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
ikoian said:
This question came up to me after reading review comments on a ton of games that get certain scores. Why do a whole lot of people cause an uproar over unfavorable reviews? This became evident after many unfavorable reviews for titles like Mario Kart 7, Duke Nukem Forever, Final Fantasy 13, Modern Warfare 3, whatever (I'm talking about both good and bad reviews). So many people trying to "defend" the title and point the finger at reviewers for being "unfair" as well and people calling good reviews bullshit or a sell out reviews. I personally face palmed when I herd that Destructoid's review of Final Fantasy 13 was considered "controversial."

Why people? Why does their score for a game you like or don't like matter to you? You're a fan of that series and were going to play the new installment anyways, you wanted to get that new game to enjoy it, you had no plans on getting that other game anyways, you personally did not like that title you played last. So why do you worry when a critic gives out a review you think disagree with and blow it out of proportion to the point were you call the review "wrong" or "bullshit". Further more, why do you groups insist on banding together to "defend" or "attack" a title just because of it's collection of reviews?

The only reasoning I can think of is that shut in gamers don't like bad reviews because it means less people talking about it on forums and playing on the multi-player servers which is their only means of socializing.
When a reviewer gives a game I liked a low score, I'm disappointed. I look at the cons he wrote down and think to myself, had the awesomeness of the titles' history blinded my judgement?
When someone gives a game I couldn't finish a good score I'd try to play it again. And stop playing it again. And call him a wanker for making me waste two hours of my life.
wanker.
Now, back on topic - I don't need to defend a game or condone a reviewer.
I have a life.
Which is somewhere, hiding in my room. I'll go on to find it the moment I write another comment in the various threads in the Escapist online magazine.
Ohh, cheetos.
Yummy.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Personally, I think the only *bad* review is when the reviewer fails to justify their opinion. If they say, this came was crap, or this was the best game ever and leave it there. Otherwise, I can read their review and if I agree with them that the sound quality is extremely important and breaks gameplay, then I?ll avoid the game, if I don?t care about sound quality, I can live with that too.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
jthwilliams said:
Personally, I think the only *bad* review is when the reviewer fails to justify their opinion. If they say, this came was crap, or this was the best game ever and leave it there. Otherwise, I can read their review and if I agree with them that the sound quality is extremely important and breaks gameplay, then I?ll avoid the game, if I don?t care about sound quality, I can live with that too.
Yeah. I only care if they just leave it at 'This game sucks because I say so' or completely miss the point of a core feature.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I thought you meant reviewing the game "Rage." and wondered what you were Why-ing about.

My bad.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Because people think that their opinion is law. If some one doesn't like what they do they will spew shit till all the worlds sewage systems are empty.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Because people are insecure. They've got a despicable little niggling doubt at the back of their heads that maybe they're not having as much fun as they've convinced themselves they're having which doesn't go away no matter how many times they slap it down with the wet flannel of weak excuses. They need simple yays or nays before they buy anything and roll over so reviewers can stamp both sides of their faces.

Most of this was quoted from Zero Punctuation mailbag showdown. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/37-Mailbag-Showdown

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Some people are insecure about their opinion and look to a review for self-gratification:
"I liked this game, but since this reviewer said it was good, that means I was right!"
and then proceed to complain if the review has a differing position.