Rhianna Pratchett Won't Be Part Of Mirror's Edge 2

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Rhianna Pratchett Won't Be Part Of Mirror's Edge 2

"I consider myself a casualty of [the Mirror's Edge] development process," Pratchett Tweets.

Mirror's Edge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5497-Review-Mirrors-Edge] was an interesting title that didn't quite work, so when EA's Patrick Söderlund stepped forward in June last year and said a sequel was always going to happen, it came as a slight surprise to the rest of us. But even if Mirror's Edge 2 is on it's way, Rhianna Pratchett, who wrote the first one, isn't on board. She's a self-described "casualty of that [Mirror's Edge] development process," and wishes the new team all the best.

"Go with God, I say," she and so is Mirror's Edge 2 [https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/420624326962839552], but that doesn't seem to make a difference to EA; presumably the comic isn't canon.

Pratchett's sanguine about the whole thing. She knows she's just hired help, and nobody from the studio's she Tweets [https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/420734232013848576], "and I no longer have any contacts [at DICE]."

EA's open-world Mirror's Edge 2 adventure hasn't got a release date yet, but when it does come out it will be for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Source: Rhianna Pratchett Twitter [https://twitter.com/rhipratchett]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Wait wait wait, open world Mirror's Edge?

I hope that they mean that the new Mirror's Edge will be open world, and i just missed some info. Not that the franchise is an open world one. The first one was more linear than CoD.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
On one hand the game just lost the only thing that kept me interested. On the other hand, Ms Pratchett is not in the clutches of EA. Can't say I'm disappointed.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Sgt. Sykes said:
Someone "wrote" ME? I always thought it's just random bits thrown into a hat and pulled out randomly to create a the plot.
Apparently some content - mostly in-game dialogue - was cut before release, so the finished thing was lacking important bits that would've pulled the whole thing together. Or so the story goes.

That said, I have a great deal of respect for Rhianna Pratchett, so I'm going to say it's their - and our, if we wanted to play the game - loss.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Too bad really. That game had no business giving me the warm fuzzies like it did. I imagine that was her doing.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
no offense, the game was great. I actually enjoyed what story was there too. But I don't think the writing makes or breaks this. The game play combined with the level design were what made ME. The level on the ship after you exit that back of that van? On hard mode? One of those moments in my gaming life!

That said, I am still worried that they'll mess up the game :(

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Thank fuck for that. The writing in ME was terrible.

"Sooner or later you have to jump!" 5 seconds before you "kill" the final boss by jumping.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Well, I'm not necessarily going to say it was her fault because it sounds very much like the game was developed in such a way as to make writing for it very difficult, but the writing in Mirror's Edge 1 was just awful so this really isn't very concerning.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still love the game but yeah, the story was not the best so lets hope it will be better in the second one.
but wait a minute....open world??? sounds good if they really pull it off.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
mechalynx said:
On one hand the game just lost the only thing that kept me interested. On the other hand, Ms Pratchett is not in the clutches of EA. Can't say I'm disappointed.
Personally it was the gameplay and navigation puzzles that always kept my interest while the story was merely "meh."

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
There are other good writers out there, but if we're being honest Mirror's Edge 1 didn't exactly impress anyone with its story. Setting? Sure. Characters? I love the game and have played it multiple times and I still can't remember the name of the blonde girl, the police officer you keep talking to, your communications ally, or even Faith's sister.

They were all just sort of... there... to tie the platforming together. It certainly wasn't any Legacy of Kain title.

Still, Miss Pratchett did great work on Tomb Raider. I'm sure she could've done something good with Faith, given enough time, but I'm not exactly mourning her absence.

The real test won't be the story but whether EA will rummage their dirty mitts over it, add in competitive deathmatches, microtransactions, forced online co-op, more guns and shoot-bang sections, and, like Dead Space 3, strip out the soul and try and fit it into the Call of Duty action mold again like they keep trying and trying and trying and failing and failing and failing to do.

What's the definition of insanity again?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Cant really care much as the story was kind of just there. This to me its like the team that did the audio isnt doing the audio for the second game.

Aug 1, 2010
Erm, hooray?

I don't know who this person is, but I think I recognize the name from one of those many, [i/]many[/i] controversies from the last year. Maybe. Not really sure.

Either way, Mirror's Edge was not a well written game in the slightest. The only thing the story served to do was detract from the freerunning. Faith was little more than an anarchist of the most generic kind and the supposed evil government never did anything worse than, as Yahtzee mentioned, keep the city very very clean and shiny.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Erm, hooray?

I don't know who this person is, but I think I recognize the name from one of those many, [i/]many[/i] controversies from the last year. Maybe. Not really sure.

Either way, Mirror's Edge was not a well written game in the slightest. The only thing the story served to do was detract from the freerunning. Faith was little more than an anarchist of the most generic kind and the supposed evil government never did anything worse than, as Yahtzee mentioned, keep the city very very clean and shiny.
Terry Pratchetts Daughter.

Very talented in her own right though (and the later works of her father probably have a large input from her).

Suprised that she would have had the time for this anyway what with founding a production company thats making tv or film adaptaions of 3 of her fathers works.

Rember that spotty game writing is at least as likely to be the editor or similar deciding what makes the cut as the writer who wrote it.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Likely the whole uproar surrounding the rape-not-really-rape bit in Tomb Raider, she was the/one of the writer(s) of the game and I think she commented on various things people were ranting about at the time. She's also the daughter of Terry Pratchett, the greatest writer of all time with the name Terry.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I loved Mirror's Edge and this new title is setting off some serious alarm bells.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Erm, yeah... whatever...

I think ME2 should let you choose if you want to play in 1st or 3rd person view. Mostly because I'd like to play this from my couch (PC guy here) and doing that in 1st person is just shite. Either that, or build it in a way that you can play through it without having to fire a single shot.

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
No huge loss there. The writing in Mirror's Edge was decent, but wasn't either stunning or original in a stylistic and and story sense. It's quite possible the new writer might change that.

Still cautiously optimistic about this revamp. This fence is just too damn safe and comfy to leave.