RIAA Wins Appeal, Music Downloader Owes $675,000

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
22,500 for a song? let me guess how much sogns they would have sold if they werent shared ilelgaly - 0

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Speakercone said:
See, if we just pirate everything all the time, then the RIAA don't get the funding to keep being dicks.

I don't see how this could possibly backfire.
O yes THIS PLEASE

Okay start only buying albums from Independant record labels (such as MSI's one)

SO PROBLEM=solved

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
And where the fuck is Anon now, huh?

Probably desperately seeking my IP so they can fuck me over for talking shit about them.

Also, I wonder how many people got their comments blocked / warnings in this thread, DAMN.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
Fusioncode9 said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I don't see the purpose of this, so the RIAA crushes the life of one guy. Grats I guess? They do know there's not a snowball's chance in hell of them ever seeing all that money right? I mean ffs sake, I'm all for protecting copyrights and all that stuff but ruining someone's life over it? Who the hell gets that money anyway? It's sure not going to the artists who's songs the guy downloaded, that much I know.
They're making an example out of him. It sucks but they think that this will stop people from downloading music illegally.
good one. I highly doubtful that this will change jack in music piracy stats.
RIAA are truly awful for destroying this one guys life. most people pirate music at one point or another and companies have a right to punish them for excessively pirating, but this is honestly convincing me to pirate music rather than buy. just to give the finger to the RIAA

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I have a 160gb iPod. That means I have roughly 20,000 songs on it (I low balled it, it is a few thousand more, I believe). So accourding to the RIAA, my iPod contains $450,000,000 worth of songs. My iPod is apparently one of the most valuable objects on the face of the earth.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
zehydra said:
I say let it fail. When people stop getting fed this nonstop stream of cut-and-paste music, then hopefully maybe people will start making their own music again. In the current system, when you make music for a living, rarely do you own your IP.
Not likely to happen as long as it's easier to sue us as the reason music is on the decline.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dfphetteplace said:
I have a 160gb iPod. That means I have roughly 20,000 songs on it (I low balled it, it is a few thousand more, I believe). So accourding to the RIAA, my iPod contains $450,000,000 worth of songs. My iPod is apparently one of the most valuable objects on the face of the earth.
I have a 500 GB Archos.

I win. ;)

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
dfphetteplace said:
I have a 500 GB Archos.

I win. ;)
And when you consider how many people have these high-capacity MP3 devices, by the RIAA's logic, there is a subsequent "value" per song for each device. Therefore, we can assume that there is enough hypothetical money out there that collectively those with such devices could royally screw up the global exchange rates, the world economy, et cetera.

Hell, maybe the RIAA should be so kind as to fix the U.S. debt crisis we're in by selling China and the likes a few Lady Gaga Cds worth of Mp3 files. In fact, let's just all do our patriotic duty and give China one song each to help alleviate the U.S. debt. Because those megabytes are worth more than freaking gold! A few generous folks can help steer the U.S. towards worldwide acquisition...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
And when you consider how many people have these high-capacity MP3 devices, by the RIAA's logic, there is a subsequent "value" per song for each device. Therefore, we can assume that there is enough hypothetical money out there that collectively those with such devices could royally screw up the global exchange rates, the world economy, et cetera.

Hell, maybe the RIAA should be so kind as to fix the U.S. debt crisis we're in by selling China and the likes a few Lady Gaga Cds worth of Mp3 files. In fact, let's just all do our patriotic duty and give China one song each to help alleviate the U.S. debt. Because those megabytes are worth more than freaking gold! A few generous folks can help steer the U.S. towards worldwide acquisition...
Hell, why not alleviate both problems? Get the Chinese Government to download a bunch of songs, let RIAA sue china into bankruptcy, then WE can come to their rescue!

Typhoonis88

Nov 24, 2009
Personally, having just recently realized the costs behind pursuing a career in music are quite enormous, I have a certain disposition towards this topic.

It would be almost a dream if you couldn't download music illegally. Having people turn back to radio and the legal purchase of music (Music that costs THOUSANDS to create, record and distribute).

But as it stands now, this could possibly be the drastic force of action that may turn that dream of mine into a possibility.

BUT! being a person who has only recently turned to the legal purchase and acquisition of music myself, It's quite ridiculous to actually think that people, who pay so much money for just basic cost of living, will pay money to people who do this sort of thing.

Basically. Imagine that it's someone like Bob Marley, not some pale, vampire-looking billionaire on the prosecuting end of this case, and you might have a different view.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
My main problem with it, is the unfair application of punishments.

They're punishing one man for thousands of people's crimes. Purely because they know they can't catch them all. It makes sense in a way, but it's NOT how law is supposed to work, but they can afford to pay enough to make the law work how they want it to.

It's like with the recent riots in London, I believe there were a few hundred people involved.

Say the police only managed to arrest one woman standing by a broken window with a looted bag of crisps, should the courts apply the death penalty? After all, looting isn't a serious crime, but maybe we should make her suffer a few hundred times the punishment for all the people the police didn't catch?

The scary thing, is in our media led society, the public would probably vote in the death penalty for looting.

I still think his defence should have been 'yes, I illegally acquired 3 albums, I'd like to take my punishment equivalent to shoplifting 3 cds now please, minus any discount for not having done any damage or actually removed any items.'