Rian Johnson to create another Star Wars trilogy

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hawki said:
It's a fair question. But speaking personally, here's my response:

1) There was a clear divide between the EU and films. The films, 3-6 of them (depending on how you felt) could stand on their own. There was no need to continue from Return of the Jedi. That said, if you did want post-Jedi stuff, the EU was there for you. My EU stuff was primarily prequel era (in that I found it the more interesting setting), but even that aside, Star Wars was in a good position to have it both ways.

2) The EU was nuked by Disney for its new films. That's a pretty bitter pill to swallow. It's not the only franchise that's had this kind of thing done to it, but, yeah. If the EU was 'milking' the old films, those films still existed. The new milking is predicated on taking the old cows round back and shooting them before presenting us with new cows and expecting us to love them just as much.

3) The new EU aside, I can't call either TFA or Rogue One good films. The EU, on the other hand, gave me plenty of stuff I would call good. Also, if they're both milking, there's something far more cynical about TFA than the EU, as TFA sets up a vague status quo (New Republic), but has effectively reverted to an old status quo by the film's end (Empire = First Order, Rebellion = Resistance). TFA is a giant reset button at the end of the day.

So, in answer, both the EU and Disney-era Star Wars 'milked' the franchise, but the milking Disney has been doing has so far been far more cynical, and of lower quality (at least for me personally).
Well I guess that's the question. Whether you agree with the latest Star Wars offerings or not. I know some full Star Wars fans that are actually happy that the EU got axed. Personally, I don't think they could have won with this decision really. Either they kept it and would have to be railroaded into whatever some random author wrote, while also coming under fire for not staying true enough to the books, or even sticking too closely to them, or they just kick it off and do their own thing.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Laggyteabag said:
Wintermute said:
What's the current trilogy anyway? Did I miss something? I thought The Last Jedi was like... episode 8, and Rogue One didn't count because it was "A Star Wars Story" just like the Han Solo movie is "A Star Wars Story". Or they're working on a new trilogy already even though this one is only halfway there.
Basically, with this announcement, we know that Disney is working on at least 8 films.

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode IX
New Trilogy Film 1
New Trilogy Film 2
New Trilogy Film 3
Solo - A Star Wars Story
Boba Fett - A Star Wars Story
Obi-Wan - A Star Wars Story

Bat Vader said:
I hope it's an Old Republic trilogy that incorporates Revan in some way.
That'd be fun.

Greatly doubt it, but it'd be fun.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Arnoxthe1 said:
So here's something for all you guys to ponder. The Star Wars EU has had SO many authors crank out title after title for it and I don't recall anyone ever saying, "Stop. We don't need anymore books in the EU." But when Disney starts giving the go ahead for a bunch of films for Star Wars, suddenly it's milking the franchise. And we're not even talking about all the Star Wars games that were made before Disney came along either.
I suspect the difference is that most people didn't read the mostly godawful Star Wars EU books or even know they existed. As for games, there have been a few popular ones but they were fairly well spread out or made a while ago.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
See, I would be fine if The Force Awakens wasnt a shitty remake of A New Hope. If this upcoming film isnt a shitty remake and actually does something interesting, I might switch to optimistic. If not, then not.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Star Wars was being "milked" from the very beginning and I find it a bit silly to complain about it. Spaceballs was making fun of that since before the prequel trilogy was made.

Star Wars always was a franchise. It always was merchandise driven. It always was a brand. It's not like they're defiling some work of great artistic integrity.
I still think SW has a semblance of integrity in the originals and the new trilogy, but yes, the essence of SW is, ostensibly, exploitation and capitalisation. As long as we get enjoyable and/or well crafted enough films from that well, I'm fine with it.

SW stopped being 'special', or sacred, decades ago.

Personally, my angle's more just this; it's probably impossible to ever make a worse SW film than anything in the prequels, especially Phantom, and so I've no real hopes or desires to be dashed. Disney are lucky the benchmark was smashed into the ground by the prequels, and so they're almost guaranteed - in my eyes - to make decent SW entries.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
This might actually make me a Star Wars fan. I hate Star Wars because I hate the characters. Thus, a writer/director I think is good making a Star Wars trilogy with new characters/races sounds like it could be something I might like.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I'm down to see Darth Revan, or the old republic in theatres.
That crashing the jedi temple trailer was dope, and the only thing Thor 2 ripped off well.

Also super down for something new. A series following imperials, or like a scoundrel type character. Or a space engineer type trying to find his girlfriend, lost almost entirely alone on a seemingly dead ship infested with rakghouls.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
bartholen said:
Laggyteabag said:
Solo - A Star Wars Story
Boba Fett - A Star Wars Story
Obi-Wan - A Star Wars Story
Disney and any Star Wars fan who openly admits to wanting to actually see a Boba Fett or Obi-Wan movie can suck my dick.
I ain't gonna suck your dick, but honestly I wouldn't mind an Obi-Wan film if, and ONLY IF, they bring back Ewan McGregor for the role. He was pretty much the only good thing about the prequels and would like to see him reprise the role. Some story set between episodes 3 and 4. If they go for anything else, then I'm not really interested. And I really don't care about a Boba Fett movie.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Star Wars was being "milked" from the very beginning and I find it a bit silly to complain about it. Spaceballs was making fun of that since before the prequel trilogy was made.
This is kind of true, actually. I mean, there were toys [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhNus5u1zCs] and tie-ins galore [http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/10-weirdest-star-wars-tie-products-ever-made] back in the day but many of us don't remember them because we weren't around then. I cut my gaming teeth on loads of Star Wars computer games. I remember getting a compilation pack of like 10 of them for Xmas when I was a kid. Rebel Assault II [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCUgO_Rjzg] was hard as balls and Dark Forces [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwPsv6d028] was stupid fun. Hell, I just recently bought Star Wars for Famicom and it's about as ridiculous [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnueE9yBcA] as you'd expect.

Anyway, I like Rian Johnson's films generally but I'll wait to reserve judgement until after The Last Jedi comes out to see if he has the chops to pull off more. I've never been a massive Star Wars guy (despite playing the aforementioned games, my moniker here and just about everyone I know calling me Chewy) but I've still seen them all and they all right for the most part. The new ones have been not so bad. So yeah, whatevs. Not that surprising.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I'm going to be honest, I just want my Star Wars Heist Movie and then I'll be happy
Making a genre film set in the Star Wars universe is actually a pretty appealing idea. Kind of like how Logan was a road movie at its core, and all the more refreshing for it.