Richard Garriott's New Project Might Be Ultima Online 2

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Richard Garriott's New Project Might Be Ultima Online 2

Whether or not Ultimate RPG lands in Britannia is up to EA, not Lord British.

During a recent interview with Eurogamer, Richard Garriott has revealed that his upcoming project, somewhat codenamed Ultimate RPG, could literally become Ultima Online 2 if Electronic Arts decides to get on board. According to Garriott, he's already been in "discussions at very high levels" regarding the possibility.

"We're in discussions with Electronic Arts even now about a possible marketing and distribution relationships and things of this nature," Garriott said. "I have a great fondness for Electronic Arts; I still think they're one of the best, most powerful and competent sales and marketing and distribution companies in the business."

Garriott began speaking of his new project [http://new.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114152-Tabula-Rasa-Developer-Crafting-Brand-New-Ultimate-RPG] not too long ago on Facebook, describing it as "a deep, beautifully realized highly interactive virtual world." According to his initial descriptions, the game will draw from many of the successes of popular social networking games while being available on every platform possible. The decision of whether or not the game comes as official Ultima canon is firmly in the hands of EA, which seems to be presently undecided on the matter.

"Electronic Arts is a big company," he said. "There are some parts of the organization that would love and embrace and clearly understand the logic of 'wouldn't it be great to work together on an Ultima'.

"And then there are other parts of the organization who - I'm actually not sure where the resistance comes from, but it must be people who either have their own ideas about where the product should go, or have their own ideas about whether or nor I should be involved in it. And I don't know where the counter-forces come from.

"So far we've not put a deal together, but of course, yeah, I would be very open to it."

Regardless of whether or not a deal is struck with EA, Garriott holds that the title of a property has little to do with it's content, claiming that it's "principles of design" that make "an Ultima an Ultima." Because of that, he believes gamers will intrinsically understand Ultimate RPG as a spiritual successor to Ultima Online regardless of the lettering on the box.

During the same interview, Garriott also announced some additional details about the upcoming game, including that it's going to be free-to-play (read: microtransactions), "closer to the Minecraft route" than Star Wars: The Old Republic, and that it's going to support both "synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer."

As for when it's coming out? "Who knows?" he said. "As soon as possible, but a year or two. We'd be very excited if we could do it in a year. And if it took two years, then so be it."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-12-garriotts-ultimate-rpg-could-become-ultima-online-2]

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
"closer to the Minecraft route" than Star Wars: The Old Republic,
Minecraft, for all it's blockiness, creates astonishingly well realised and, for want of a better word, tactile sandbox worlds. So I smiled when I read this.

Then I realised that I'm pinning my hopes on Lord British... Oh damn.

and that it's going to support both "synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer."
Erm, okay. If you say so, Richard.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
This could be either brilliant if it's funded right (Ultima games, Ultima online), or terrible if it's underfunded and rushed out(Ultima Ascension anyone?).

Can see EA doing it though, they want a big slice of the MMO plate, and after trying things out after SW:TOR, might try a fantasy MMO to challenge WoW directly.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
It'll be interesting to see what a game designer who was incredibly groundbreaking 15-30 years ago can do with a modern game. The Ultimas went down a lot of paths that no one followed and did a lot of things that haven't been done since. I'm really excited to see how those kinds of design choices pan out in 2013. Even if it's a disaster, I'm sure it'll be a fascinating one.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
If they do make it, please god make it like the old, badass Ultima. Where you could get killed and robbed by thieves (it was disabled due to complaning). I really want an MMORPG with some balls, and less handholding.

endtherapture said:
Can see EA doing it though, they want a big slice of the MMO plate, and after trying things out after SW:TOR, might try a fantasy MMO to challenge WoW directly.
SW:TOR is a direct challenge to WoW, i believe. It has already stolen a larger amount of WoW players away

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Burns Flipper said:
Erm... is that a sperm shield in Lord British's hand?
Yeah, he needs it block all the man-juice that shoots his way whenever he talks about making another Ultima game.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I'll only be interested if this is a single player RPG in the spirit of the Ultima games.
Who needs YAMMORPG*?

Yet Another Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Richard made a grammatical error, you can't refer to EA's sales and marketing division as "competent" without the the word "not" or the prefix "in-"

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Richard Garriot can get stuffed until he wants to publicly apologise for Ultima 8 and 9 then promise to continue the series as if those games never happened.

Until then Garriot, you know where you can stuff your new multiplayer game.