Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes: Hurtful or Hysterical?

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
Gervais is a useless, unfunny, untalented ****.

I'm happy he's left the UK so I don't have to suffer his crap tv shows taking up space for shows I actually enjoy.

Sadly he makes a twat of himself wherever he goes, so now I have to hear about him on the news again. :(

Wanker.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Firstly: I think we can put aside the idea that he was too 'extreme' or 'inappropriate' for now, and say that the majority of what he came out with was largely unfunny anyway. (IMO, obviously.) I'm not even a diehard hater of the guy, either; I usually find him tolerable. He had a few amusing quips in there, but the rest...simply wasn't funny. At least, not to me.

Secondly, if he'd kissed their asses like they were royalty, that would have been just as bad as launching an all-out attack on anybody who stepped foot on the stage, in all fairness. His routine wasn't even that offensive, anyway.

However, there's a certain way to 'do' insults in a comedic manner. A few barbs now and then -- and this is for awards shows in general, not this one in particular -- are always great, but when it gets to the point where the atmosphere becomes tense or uncomfortable, that's when you've crossed the line. No matter how badly some of these celebrities need a reality check (and boy, are there a few of those), they were just there to collect awards, for presumably halfway decent work. You wouldn't want to get Employee of the Month only to be reminded by your boss while he gives it you how he slept with your ex-wife, and oh, wasn't that old heroin addiction hilarious?

Third, that Gervais actually seemed to be trying to find out how far he could push the boundaries is slightly attention whore-ish, and either way, it doesn't really matter. There's no such thing as bad publicity, after all. Not only that, but there are plenty of other awards shows, and celebrities have survived far worse scandals than him (e.g. Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand in that whole Sachs thing). So, in conclusion: nobody will remember the whole thing by this time next week. Life goes on.

I rather liked Robert Downey Jr.'s reply, though. Get in there, dude.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
The only people "hurt" by this are celebs.....since he hits the nail on the head....

Free Speech.....bwhahaha you dont have it
(and no dont play the "he is a British actor etc etc"

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Let me get this straight, people are shocked that he tried to outdo himself from last year, where his jokes were slightly less offensive but still offensive enough to where even he thought he'd never be back? Idiots. Take a guess at what will happen if by some miracle he comes back next year. Will he be contrite? Hardly.

As for people being offended, Steve Hughes said it best. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg]

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
They invited Gervais and were expecting him to "play nice"?

Crimsane said:
As for people being offended, Steve Hughes said it best. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycXuYzmzNg]
I'm gonna go ahead and learn that by heart, so that I can recite it any time someones says they're offended.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
So why, in an article about how Ricky Gervais was maybe too mean at this years Golden Globe awards, do we have an embedded video of him hosting last year's Golden Globe awards, where pretty much everyone agrees he wasn't too mean?

There is really no excuse for that, and it's obviously misled a lot of people in this thread.

Anyway, after checking out the actual video of his opening monologue I have to say that yeah, it was pretty over the top mean, but so what? He blatantly stated that was what he was going to do. I thought there were a few chuckle worthy lines, but most of it was just trying to hard to piss people off. It wasn't really offensive, but it wasn't really funny either. It was just kinda there.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I'd say both. He was harsh, but I really couldn't help myself but laugh.

I do agree with the thought that the only reason there is any outrage is because he dared to slander rich and famous people as opposed to normal everyday people.

Oddly enough, generally speaking I don't even like Ricky Gervais, he always comes across as incredibly full of himself in his stand-up. The only aspect of him that I like is that he has the balls to do what he does.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
It was awesome, he was funny, and screw those Hollywood jerk-offs. They wouldn't know good comedy if it bit them on the ass. These are the same people who are so stupid they think the Daily Show is a serious news broadcast, and that Alec Baldwin should run for office because he's so good on 30 Rock. Gimme a break.

Oct 14, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Have a read through some of his jokes. Allegations of bribery. Homophobic references. Borderline slander. Not exactly high class humour. I wouldn't really mind because I'm not so pretentious that I can't laugh at that sort of thing, but half of the time he didn't even set the joke up properly. Good British humour is based around irony and sarcasm conveyed though the use of either hyperbole or litotes. Gervais did almost nothing of the sort last night. Some people are also saying this is what he's known for: it's not. In both The Office and Extras he plays someone with such incredible narcissism that you can't help but laugh at his trumped up opinions of himself. I can think of plenty of ways he could have brought that style of humour to the ceremony instead of just slagging people off the entire time.
I agree with this. There's a way to be hilarious without having to shoot people down OR kiss their butts. Comedy can be intelligent; it doesn't have to be a pissing contest to see who can be more "extreme."

There's a place for offensive stuff, sure, but I'm afraid it's becoming the new standard and that's just a pity.

Flynn11

Aug 28, 2008
Ricky Gervais is a comic genius and if everybody had slightly thicker skins they'd be a lot less BS in the world.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Ah, I found this hilarious. I think people need to get around the fact that it's comedy. Short of radical religious or racial slurs - comedy should be compeltely protected. People should have realised that's what he was going to be like. If enough objected, they probably would've gotten someone else.

I can understand if you'd don't think he's funny, I think that's due more to different tastes in comedy than nature of his stuff.

TipsyPeaches

Aug 3, 2009
I just don't see what's so clever about making fun of people? maybe I'm missing something.

and those people who keep saying it's just acerbic British humour; yeah, maybe, but comedians who did that all the time fell way out of fashion in the 80s. Maybe think tere was a reason for that?

Comedy is always funnier when a comedian can link it to something the audience might actually experience, connects them that bit better. Fair enough a slightly aloof insult if it's been recent enough to be relevant, unlike his crap about RDJ.

plus, I just hate Ricky Gervais, but that's a personal thing.

Majora Major

Nov 29, 2010
Well, what the bloody hell did they expect? It's Ricky Gervais, not the Pope. They had him on last year as well, making the moral of this story pretty clear: If you don't want to crack eggs, don't hire the egg-cracking expert notorious for throwing them at celebrities' houses.

Twice.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
my internet is slow so i'm only half way through but i don't see what the big deal is. maybe it's brittains sence of humor. as frankie boyle once said "you look like someone shaved an ape and kicked it through top man"

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Ricky Gervais held a mirror to the Hollywood celebrity culture and the Hollywood celebrities didn't like what they saw in it. Personally, the sense of humour in Britain can involve a lot of banter, there is a fine line between banter and insults but I saw what he was saying, it was funny.

Get over it Hollywood actors, your Beverly Hills mansions should be big and private enough so nobody will hear you crying because the big nasty man said mean things about you. Get on with making films, and good ones too. Clever ones like Inception, not stupid ones where stuff just explodes with your face on it. You'll live.