Rift Review

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
John Funk said:
Sofus said:
Right so I didn't read the review, rather I simply watched the video, I also didn't read any comments so maybe someone already stated this.

BUT

How could you possibly not notice that extra hud bars can be added, by simply selecting more through the options menue.
You can. Now how do you use all of them in a fight without clicking? I use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, R, T, and my three auxiliary mouse buttons. Any more than that, and it just gets unwieldy.
Well I usually bind a key for each ability. I use 12345 ertgfq in three versions, the two others are those keys combined with Ctrl or Shift, this usually leaves me with more than enough bindings for any MMO. I also use F1-F4 (for abilities with long cooldowns) aswell as two mousebuttons (usually assigned as percesion or panic buttons, mostly silence)

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
I probably have no place in this thread, having no history of or desire for playing MMOs, but I feel it must be said.
I hate this game. For the sole reason that every time I see an ad for it, for a split-second I think that someone has made a Rifts [http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/images/rifts.jpg] game. Then my little heart breaks.

Case in point - when asking Dr. Google to find me something about "Rifts," the second result was the Rift official site. Salt, meet wound.

Fake Nicker

Mar 31, 2010
John Funk said:
Sofus said:
Right so I didn't read the review, rather I simply watched the video, I also didn't read any comments so maybe someone already stated this.

BUT

How could you possibly not notice that extra hud bars can be added, by simply selecting more through the options menue.
You can. Now how do you use all of them in a fight without clicking? I use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, R, T, and my three auxiliary mouse buttons. Any more than that, and it just gets unwieldy.
I Use buttons 1 to 0 plus qertfg. For my thump i use zxcvbn for instants and spam abilities so i have full movement on WASD. On top of that i use SHIFT and CTRL for modifier. I never found that unwieldy.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fake Nicker said:
John Funk said:
Sofus said:

BUT

I Use buttons 1 to 0 plus qertfg. For my thump i use zxcvbn for instants and spam abilities so i have full movement on WASD. On top of that i use SHIFT and CTRL for modifier. I never found that unwieldy.
How do you do buttons past 6 with one hand on keyboard and the other on mouse? Granted, it's probably a bit more unwieldy for me since I'm usually a tank and need to be constantly looking around to make sure nothing got lose.

I miss the days of healing in WoW with Clique. All of my healing spells, just a simple mouseclick away.

Fake Nicker

Mar 31, 2010
John Funk said:
Fake Nicker said:
John Funk said:
Sofus said:

BUT

How do you do buttons past 6 with one hand on keyboard and the other on mouse? Granted, it's probably a bit more unwieldy for me since I'm usually a tank and need to be constantly looking around to make sure nothing got lose.

I miss the days of healing in WoW with Clique. All of my healing spells, just a simple mouseclick away.
Okay i will give you the number keys past 6 thing, because mine are stacked after number 5 in two rows (gaming board) ;) and yes tanking is alot more heavy on the info overload so i agree fully on that. I play caster classes for the most part so half my skills in many mmos are not that twitch inclined which grants me alot more hands free time from WASD. Just a half a second free time to just get bearings makes a world of a difference.

Hehe ya twitchy innovative combat healing mechanics does not garantee injoyment

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
While the questing is boring and formulaic, it's possible to entirely level up on PvP, instanced dungeons and Rift/Invasion content... and not be that much slower than your peers. This is especially true if you don't get on every day and can make use of the generous amounts of Rested Experience that you get while logged off in towns. You'll also be able to access significantly better gear while doing this.

Not to mention you're working with players which is rather the point of an MMO.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Jumwa said:
walrusaurus said:
Jumwa said:
Since WoW has forsaken all facets of a casual end-game...
lol, if that were true i wouldn't have canceled my subscription
Not sure what you're trying to say there.

You canceled your subscription because you disagree with me and think they do have casual options for end game?
I disagree with you in that their attempts to causualize the content makes it far less fun for semi-hardcore players like me. Essentially the normals are too easy and the heroics are too tedious. We finished the normals mid-January, tried heroics for a bit got bored and called it quits. The current hard mode model works on paper, and for the very high end and low end of raiding but for those of us in the middle it fails.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
walrusaurus said:
Jumwa said:
I disagree with you in that their attempts to causualize the content makes it far less fun for semi-hardcore players like me. Essentially the normals are too easy and the heroics are too tedious. We finished the normals mid-January, tried heroics for a bit got bored and called it quits. The current hard mode model works on paper, and for the very high end and low end of raiding but for those of us in the middle it fails.
Cataclysm removed the casual friendly content, however. Heroics are far too long and aggravating for me to squeeze in now, though I enjoyed doing them immensely in Wrath. Even normals are just too annoying for me to be bothered with.

It might not be challenging enough for you, but claiming Cataclysm's Heroics are for casual players would be ridiculous.

Though personally I've yet to meet someone claiming content was too easy for them sporting the top hard-mode achievements from the game.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Jumwa said:
Cataclysm removed the casual friendly content, however. Heroics are far too long and aggravating for me to squeeze in now, though I enjoyed doing them immensely in Wrath. Even normals are just too annoying for me to be bothered with.

It might not be challenging enough for you, but claiming Cataclysm's Heroics are for casual players would be ridiculous.

Though personally I've yet to meet someone claiming content was too easy for them sporting the top hard-mode achievements from the game.
now i'm confused. I was talking about raid content, and i seems like your talking about 5-mans? If thats the case i would enquire if you've ever run one with a premade group, rather than a random dungeon finder one? The challenge is moderate at best for a group of people who are communicating, and not pants-on-head-retarded.

Back to the actual topic though, i wonder why they can't simply scale the health of all the mobs spawned by the rifts based on how many people are in it? Obviously there would need to be a minimum, of around 5 or 6 but after that just start spawning more stuff.

RedMagic

Feb 16, 2011
I really like the soul system in Rift (it's fun to play as a mage that can easily switch from a DPS build to a support build). But I'm glad you mentioned the part where it does get overwhelming at first (especially if all 3 of your souls are offense types, and you are bogged down by having way too many skills to choose from).

And yes, the quests are meh. But at least you can level up via PvP, dungeons, rifts/invasions as an alternative.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
OH GOD FIX THE UI!!!! (also rift is an extremely well made game. Its an mmo like most but it does it very well and the class system is the best ive encountered by far!)

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, the dynamic events are this game's point which, like mentioned before, won't last after Guild Wars 2 comes out. And then all you got left is diverse (I assume) classes with crappy zergy rifts.

smut

Aug 4, 2007
The souls aren't that unique anymore. After the nerfs, it is even more cookie cutter.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
walrusaurus said:
now i'm confused. I was talking about raid content, and i seems like your talking about 5-mans? If thats the case i would enquire if you've ever run one with a premade group, rather than a random dungeon finder one? The challenge is moderate at best for a group of people who are communicating, and not pants-on-head-retarded.

Back to the actual topic though, i wonder why they can't simply scale the health of all the mobs spawned by the rifts based on how many people are in it? Obviously there would need to be a minimum, of around 5 or 6 but after that just start spawning more stuff.
I've not bothered with raiding this expansion because I don't have the time or inclination to stress myself out in my free time getting geared enough for it. I play to relax and have fun, not get worked up over a video game. As for not using the random dungeon finder, I don't exactly have a regular schedule most of the time, and it's hard at best to schedule runs with my friends (not that I enjoy the prospect of scheduling every little aspect of my free time around a single game either), and not all my friends are exactly pros at the game. I dislike getting frustrated with my own friends.

On the issue of Rifts, the game spawns a number and intensity of Rifts (normal or elite, for example) based on the number of players in a zone. There have been times I've struggled with one rift to determine we didn't have enough to down it, but I either left to join a group at another rift or found that by the time I realized I couldn't handle it backup had arrived. And unlike the reviewer I've never felt cheated by being a big raid that's swept away rifts. It feels good, powerful, to just plow through one with a team after you spent some time struggling on another with a smaller group.

Why this sudden inclination to make every aspect of a game a "rewarding challenge" baffles me. The notion that that's what a video game should be about seems strange enough, but why not some variety anyhow? I thought that's what people complained about in Oblivion, that they got sick of every fight becoming a grueling challenge, and felt some things should be easier as you got more powerful. But this doesn't apply to MMOs? Is it the inherent ego-battle nature of forum communities and MMOs that promotes that, where everyone is terrified of admitting they ever found something too tough for them because they're left open as prey to the rabid dogs of the internet? I can only imagine that kind of system is attractive to a narrow segment of people.

Shadotek

Apr 20, 2011
Okay, I had to stop the video at :40. Alternate future? Really? Please get a reviewer that actually knows what is going on. Also, try adding more action bars. I'll give the game a 9/10 and this review a 2/10 (because you got the name of the game correct and a fact or 2.)

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
I played all the betas and the only thing stopping me from playing the actual game was time. Sadly I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to mmo's, but the game was very good in my opinion.

Fake Nicker

Mar 31, 2010
Shadotek said:
Okay, I had to stop the video at :40. Alternate future? Really? Please get a reviewer that actually knows what is going on. Also, try adding more action bars. I'll give the game a 9/10 and this review a 2/10 (because you got the name of the game correct and a fact or 2.)
I really dont get people like you? The whole "i stopped reading after bla bla" kind of people... Why come here and blatantly utter total ignorance on your own account? Your claim that the reviewer dont know "nuffin" would stand alot stronger if you didnt start out with that you dont know jack about the topic your self. Its like giving critique of a cinima movie saying "This movie sucks so bad that ive never watched it" ..........
EVIDENCE?! The world is flat because i say so! Repent!

Why would anyone make one self seem so dumb by purpose? It baffles me... but IF you had made an indepth post about why you have that opinion i would have thought of you in another way and maybe agreed. But as it stands now you just waste space and comes of as an ignorant fool whoes opinion doesnt carry any weight, even tho that same opinion could as easily be just as valid as any other well thought out post. You just induce flamewar and not debate.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Ahh, so THAT'S how you pronounce "Arendt"!

FYI Shadotek - if you choose to play as a Defiant (and seriously, when given the choice, who WOULDN'T play as the bad guys?) you are in fact from an alternate future, and have in fact traveled back to the past. It's right there in the game's lore.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Jumwa said:
I've not bothered with raiding this expansion because I don't have the time or inclination to stress myself out in my free time getting geared enough for it. I play to relax and have fun, not get worked up over a video game. As for not using the random dungeon finder, I don't exactly have a regular schedule most of the time, and it's hard at best to schedule runs with my friends (not that I enjoy the prospect of scheduling every little aspect of my free time around a single game either), and not all my friends are exactly pros at the game. I dislike getting frustrated with my own friends.......
r

I can empathize with that. There have been many times over the years where the game starts feeling like a job, when that happens i've typically stopped playing for 5 or 6 months. Was a big part of why i quit this time, I'm just not wiling to schedule my life around a raid schedule anymore. I would agree that for someone like you the Heroics were designed to be too difficult, They were very difficult for my friends and i for the first few weeks, until we outgeared them. Getting over that initial gear hurdle was probably too hard.

You questioned why everything has to be incentivized, and I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. The current atmosphere of the community won't allow for anything that doesn't reward them in a progressive manner. A large part of this is just how toxic wow's community has become. This stems i think from the greater centralization you see today compared to the past. The more things your able to do without leaving trade chat the more 'internet-culture' takes over servers. People behave in kind on the forums and sooner or later the entire community is polluted with it.

I think any game that follows wow's model of city-centric gameplay is going to go right to the same place. I think thats a huge part of why rift makes getting around the world so slow, they want you to spend as small a proportion of your time in the cities as possible.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
walrusaurus said:
You questioned why everything has to be incentivized, and I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. The current atmosphere of the community won't allow for anything that doesn't reward them in a progressive manner. A large part of this is just how toxic wow's community has become. This stems i think from the greater centralization you see today compared to the past. The more things your able to do without leaving trade chat the more 'internet-culture' takes over servers. People behave in kind on the forums and sooner or later the entire community is polluted with it.
On my home server the server first downing of 25-man Lich King occurred two weeks before Cataclysm launched. Just two weeks before. That's almost a full year after the content was able to be cleared.

And yet on my server the cries of "lol Wrath was a faceroll!" are as loud and prevalent as any other place. In fact, most of the people who I know personally who cheered on the tough new content were people who couldn't even handle heroics in Wrath. Or people who were just pulled along for the barest of raid content and managed to bottom out the damage charts every time. People, in other words, that considered out-DPSing the tank an unreachable milestone have been amongst the biggest proponents for the new tougher content from my experience.

So I can't help but feel it's all bluster. That people (aside from a rare few) aren't really happier that things are harder, they just know that the consequences to admitting they find it harder is mocking and derision and the inevitable response of "Really? I thought it was SO easy. I wish they had made it even HARDER."