Right, which PC game do I buy for my new rig?

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Starcraft 2, Anything by Valve, Civilizations V, and then pretty much anything you'd buy on a console.

Steam is always having dirt-cheap sales, so that's recommendable.

Today, for example, Dead Space is on sale for 5 dollars and Dead Space 2 for 24.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3. It'd be hard not to suggest my favourite game of all time. Get it and we can even play through the campaign co-op together! It's an '08 game so it won't be anything special for your new rig, but the water effects are stupendous at least :D

Totally depends what kind of games you're into though.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Imperator_DK said:
If you want to test its technical proficiency, then Crysis 2 is probably the way to go.
The first crysis will push his machine much harder then the second will. Then metro 2033 will push it harder again.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Recettear, or Minecraft.

Or Amnesia. The only thing scarier than a horror game is a horror game on full graphics.

sexbutler

Nov 18, 2010
I'd have to recommend any Total War. If you're going for a ritualistic trial-by-ordeal for your new baby, playing Shogun maxed out is the way to go. By measuring just how much fire the cpu is on, you can figure how far you still need to upgrade.

That said, find Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. Its the bomb.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
sexbutler said:
That said, find Rollercoaster Tycoon 1. Its the bomb.

I was just trying to get that to run the other day; couldn't get the damn thing to keep stable for more than an hour. I've put more time into that game than I'd like to admit though.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
Still Life said:
Rage.

When it comes out, of course ;)
Agreed. I would wait on some of the new games boasting newer tech. If you cannot wait, then I guess any of the Bioware games will look pretty and test your new hardware on max settings.

Crysis games are also useful as benchmarks.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Sacman said:
TypeSD said:
Sacman said:
Metro 2033, if you can run that on maxed settings with little to no slow down you can run anything, even Crysis...<.<

Not sure about the survival horror genre. I prefer to face my threats with a big suit of armor and an even bigger gun. Anyone suggesting that I scare easily will be frowned upon.
It's not really horror, it's a shooter with light horror and survival elements, sort of like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.if it took place in a sewer and didn't have RPG elements...
There's some cool horror elements like the Library, some cool survival elements like the Gas Masks and the Surface, and some tense stealth sections like Black Station and Frontline, as well as an interesting story.

It's not a typical FPS. In fact, I mostly play it for the story, stealth and horror elements and rarely have to shoot anyone.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
PORTAL 2!!!!!!
or maybe FONV and Duke Nukem forever when (or if) it comes out and anything you have lying around.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
If you want a pretty game that's awesome fun, definitely go for Just Cause 2. The game alone is fun enough, but the mod community is awesome as well, with lots of fun cheats and hacks that make the game that little bit more entertaining.

DeathsHands

Mar 22, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
If you want to test its technical proficiency, then Crysis 2 is probably the way to go. If you can max it out and get smooth gameplay, then it can handle anything else currently on the market, and what'll come out in the foreseeable future.

Otherwise, just get the kind of game you usually like. The tech won't matter if the game isn't any fun to play.
Crysis 2 is more optimized than Crysis (for reasons I'm sure everyone is aware of), so Crysis/Warhead are somewhat better benchmarks.

Also get Metro 2033/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with DX11.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
TypeSD said:
Ah kk, so kinda like Fallout 3, ish? Edit: all i've seen from it is the benchmarking videos on youtube for the GPU and framerates etc.
No, it's not open world, doesn't have RPG elements, has a good story and most of all it's very dark and depressing...<.<

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
These games are not the most graphically amazing, but are really worth your time

STALKER (The first one with mods, or the third one)
The Witcher
Oblivion (just get it so you can install mods)
Deus Ex 1 (but be ready for some really bad graphics (but it is an awesome game))
Torchlight
The Thief Series (this is another oldie but lots of fun)
League of Legends (and what's that? you tell me its free? and i can get everything by just playing alot rather than using real cash for micro-transactions? also note this is not an MMO)
Dawn of War 1
Dawn of War 2 (i mention both as they are two completely different games)
Supreme Commander (for when huge isnt big enough)

also you will want to check out The Indie Game Database for some really good free indie games. This includes Yahtzee's games so... check it out.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Dawn of War 2

A neat RTS game with some RPG elements, a big emphasis on squads and lots of fun to be had.
And it looks freaking incredible.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Jumpman Lives or "Another Lifeless Planet and Me With No Beer." You can find shareware of the latter just googling, but I'm sure your rig has a 5 and 1 quarter inch floppy drive. It wouldn't be complete without one.

Anyway...

Seriously? Supreme Commander...The first one.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is a great multiplayer game if you're into the whole shooty expody thing. Looks absolutely stunning as well, and the ability to blow everything up is extremely satisfying.

Ever played the STALKER games? If not give them a go. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with the Complete mod looks outstanding and is easily one of my favourite games to have been released in years. Certainly the most atmospheric. There is no other game on the market that I've ever played with such intense and amazing weather effects. The game is worth buying just for that first time you're stranded out in the wilderness during a nighttime lightning storm, it's unequalled and both intense as well as breathtaking. I love it!

If you're into RTS then you should also pick up Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War 2. Neither are the most graphically intensive, but both look amazing regardless and will certainly help you appreciate the power of your computer.

Question for ya? Are you new to PC gaming? Interested in just the most visually incredible or downright good games as well?