Rik Mayall RIP

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I was shocked by the news earlier, one of my childhood favourites that remained so into adulthood. I remember watching all of his shows with my Dad and brother when I was too young.

Today reminds me of a line from one of his poems from the Young Ones which seems fitting in a sad way.

"How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

RIP Rik you will be sorely missed.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Bottom was integral to my formative years.

I think that this will be the best way to remember him, though;

Flubbing his lines and giggling.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead!

:(
Aw, fuckin' ninja'd. At least it was an epic ninja-ing.

Loop Stricken said:
Bottom was integral to my formative years.

I think that this will be the best way to remember him, though;

Flubbing his lines and giggling.
The line fluffs, the barbs at each other and the constant going off on tangents were what made those live shows great. I have never laughed so hard as I have when watching those shows for the first time on DVD.

OT: Alas, poor Rik. We knew him, Escapist. He came, he saw, he made us laugh. He journeyed in the quest for the mother-pants, he drove a double-decker bus off a cliff and he flirted with Tony Robinson. But now, he's taken a hold of his coat, and fucked off out of it.

RIP, Rik, you shall be missed.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Still can't believe this news. He was a favorite of mine and of all my misfit high school friends. We quoted him endlessly while everyone wondered what the hell he were prattling on about because most American teenagers of the early '90s had no clue about Blackadder or The Young Ones.

Terribly sad to hear Rik's gone.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
When I heard about this only yesterday, I couldn't believe it. Mr Mayall has been a huge influence on my family and one of my many childhood heroes. The last time I was this disheartened was back when Ronnie Barker died.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Gutted. The bloke was a legend, so young too.

On the plus side we can still enjoy his amazing catalogue of work.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Saw him live with Bottom 3 Live, it was about a year after his quad bike accident, took the piss out of himself all night
Then he came into the store I was working in the next day, spot on chap.

Fast forward to last year and he made a speech at the University I work for and he remembered me! Seriously, he remembered that I'd given him my staff discount. He asked why I'd left the electrical store (no names, no advertisement for them bastards) Straight faced I told him I'd been fired after giving famous people discounts, he looked really apologetic but then started laughing so loud we got funny looks.

Ahh memories!

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
never heard of him, but sorry he died
Understandable , and a little catch up for all our non English people whose lives are tragically empty for not having seen young ones or black adder.

Monty Python broke the mold , then the young ones came and defined modern comedy , it was a great show not one thats aged that well and not one that would of got in top 10 to be fair but it was funny, and it featured everyone and i mean everyone that went on to become anything in british comedy for the next 2 decades. it set the stage for everything from black adder to red dwarf its affects spread across the pond and the world, all modern sitcoms started there. and thats what the history books will say

but what you need to know is he was (at least from what you can tell in interviews and apearences) a good man who made a living making us laugh.

ladies and gentlemen allow me to present 7 minutes of Rik and his Buddy Ade doing what they did best ,arsing around off script making the room they are in all laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_X_7TrcHGM

"HAHA missed BOTH my legs!"

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Absolutely gobsmacked that he's gone. Was (and still am) a huge fan of Bottom when I was a kid, and even now it never fails to get a laugh out of me! The world of comedy will never be the same. R.I.P you Sad Pathtic Winker!

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I was shocked when I found out, I grew up watching Bottom when I was young and even though I watched it multiple times, it still makes me laugh.

RIP Rik, I shall spend today watching Bottom

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That sucks so much. He was so young. He was one of the Young Ones. Love that show.
I'm still pissed that they cut his part from the first Harry Potter movie: he was going to be Peeves. That would've been awesome...and he would've saved the 5th movie.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011

The first time I ever watched something he did was when I was a kid and my dad showed me Bottom for the first time, it was that frying pan scene that I still laugh at to this day.

I loved what Ade Edmonds had to say about it because it was so spot on: 'And now he?s died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.?

I've got tomorrow off of work so I think I'll sit and watch all of The Young Ones followed by Bottom.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
zumbledum said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
never heard of him, but sorry he died
Understandable , and a little catch up for all our non English people whose lives are tragically empty for not having seen young ones or black adder.

Monty Python broke the mold , then the young ones came and defined modern comedy , it was a great show not one thats aged that well and not one that would of got in top 10 to be fair but it was funny, and it featured everyone and i mean everyone that went on to become anything in british comedy for the next 2 decades. it set the stage for everything from black adder to red dwarf its affects spread across the pond and the world, all modern sitcoms started there. and thats what the history books will say

but what you need to know is he was (at least from what you can tell in interviews and apearences) a good man who made a living making us laugh.

ladies and gentlemen allow me to present 7 minutes of Rik and his Buddy Ade doing what they did best ,arsing around off script making the room they are in all laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_X_7TrcHGM

I wouldn't say my life is tragically empty for me american.. there's a reason we rebelled against you and the queen!.. but in all seriousness.. im sure this guy, whoever he was, was funny to people in the UK, and just because I never heard of a comedian from another country, doesn't really matter to much..we've have plenty of comedy geniuses people here in the US