Riot reworks Fiora, completely destroys her

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
I would perfer to see how her new model is against her old model, when it comes to her actual costume and not one of the alts. That said, the teacher models..., the newer one somehow looks more cartoony than the old one.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's not like you see them up close in game if I recall (haven't played since around 3 or so years ago) They have an RTS kind of view. Honestly, seems like people are losing their minds over such a small thing. There are over 100 characters in the game (126 if the quick search I made was accurate/up to date), I'm sure if this is too much for someone they could move to someone new right?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
chozo_hybrid said:
It's not like you see them up close in game if I recall (haven't played since around 3 or so years ago) They have an RTS kind of view. Honestly, seems like people are losing their minds over such a small thing. There are over 100 characters in the game (126 if the quick search I made was accurate/up to date), I'm sure if this is too much for someone they could move to someone new right?
It might have to do with the community finally getting fed up with Riot changing things for flimsy reasons at best, and nonexistent reasons at worst. Fiora desperately needed balance changes and/or a kit rework, but there is a laundry list of champions who needed relaunches before Fiora...like Poppy, for one especially egregious example.

Riot has a bad habit of tearing things down and rebuilding them from scratch when they would've been better off just polishing the things they already have. The forums was one example, and the game's lore is another example. Alas, Riot prefers to do their own thing rather than consider feedback from the community. While it is definitely their right to make this game however they want to make it, their unwillingness to consider how their community feels about any changes will bite them in the ass in the future.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Both models look ridiculous.
Seriously, the only difference between the two is regarding what they are caricatures OF - an overly sexy teacher, and an overly anime'd schoolgirl.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
That new model looks really bad, but someone above said it was still a work in progress so I don't really care that much. The thing that they really seem to have ruined is her new abilities. I was reading their descriptions in the rework and it boiled down to "If she gets going, you can't stop her from killing the other teams squishies, but if she doesn't then she is worthless to her team." A description of nearly every assassin champion. So like their rework of Kassadin, they took a champion that was defined by their ultimate's killing power and completely removed it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
That new ultimate seems freaking useless in a teamfight. Hell, that ultimate seems freaking useless against anything that isn't stationary (aka, anybody with a brain).

As it stands, that alone would kill the character for me.

This is what I quite like about the R system in Heroes of the Storm. If one ultimate is fucking useless, you can at least hope that option 2 is half decent.

As for the model; I always kinda assumed that Fiora always had that sexy fencer thing going. Whilst I like the new outfit in the splash art (not sure if I prefer it, though), THAT FACE, THOUGH.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I rarely used Fiona but I kind of liked her. Some changes might have been nice but I don't think her model needed work yet.
Her ult is what made her best. But realistically, who has time to hit an enemy four times in a row and from different angles no less? Unless it made a Janna style heal zone immediately, this thing is going to feel quite useless.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I think I'm missing something here, other than the more cartoony/WoW looking face I don't really see that big a difference between them :/

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Baffle said:
She looks like a trainee librarian that just had the Dewey decimal system explained to her.

No seriously, I could try to play spot-the-difference on those two models and I'd only be able to draw one circle around her head, the rest looks the same.
Well they made the ribs/waist smaller. You have a shorter dress, shorter ruler(sword), the pin strips are more visible, thinner legs, higher bust, shorter neck and it looks like one arm is shorter then the other, but I might be seeing things.

I like the new splash art though. The outfit is sleek and way less busy, also their bones look less broken.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
"Destroys" implies there was something to ruin, which would be wrong in this case. For the longest time Fiora either laned against someone with a brain, got shutdown, and became free kills in teamfights, or laned against a total abject moron, got fed, and 1v5-ed her way to swift victory. That kind of binary is not good champ design. She needed this overhaul for a looooong time.

As for her appearance, I care oh so very little about her silly-even-by-Riot's-low-standards fetish costume, and the main splash actuly looks slightly more interesting.

So yea, based on what you presented here, she got fixed, not ruined.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I don't play the game, so I can only comment on the reaction to the aesthetic changes...

Is the model an unlockable skin or something? Because I don't understand how "fencer" in the splash art translates to "sexy schoolteacher" in the game.

Yes, I'm not a big fan of the face for the second model, but some of the proportions in the first are downright ridiculous (giraffe neck much?). Also, isn't the game played from an overhead RTS-style view? Chances are the model difference isn't going to be that noticeable in the heat of battle.

As for the splash art, I actually prefer the new one with regards to authenticity (I was a fencer myself for a handful of years). I like how her upper outfit resembles an actual fencing jacket. The pose isn't quite so spine-twistingly ridiculous either, again more closely mimicking an actual fencer's stance. It's still a far cry from the real thing, but she's at least more recognizable as a fencer.
Riot has a lot of skins for champions that are joke skins, sexy skins, alternate history skins etc.

For example, the Ninjas Shen, Akali and Kennen have a "Hospital" themed skin line - Nurse Akali, Surgeon Shen and Doctor Kennen (Zed hasn't been around long enough to get one yet).

Fiora has a sexy professor/librarian skin because...well, a lot of people pointed out that she has the attitude and looks of of a lot of librarians/professors you see in movies/books.

Every year they release a set of Beach (Summer) and Snowdown (Winter) skins too, etc. Ironically, the men always get far more revealing and "sexy" skins during the Beach skins than the women do.

The differences are noticeable if you play the game zoomed in, or if you stop to admit the model in-game during the initial set-up or victory screens. And they screwed it up in the splash art too, so you see the terri-bad face every time the game loads or you pick Fiora too.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The model got absolutely wrecked, but I find myself unable to be annoyed that they made a fencer more of a 1v1 character.

I mean... you know what fencing IS, right?

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Holy damn that new model is atrocious. It makes WoW's new Male NElf look good. At least they fixed her giraffe neck, but in a game like League where I think 100% of the female characters are over-sexualized feminist-bait, they decide to 'revamp' a character that actually fits her figure by giving her wider hips, a thinner waist, taller heels and larger breasts?

And what the jesus shit happened to her face.

I don't even play League, but I really feel for anyone that was attached to her old model.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just for those saying the ult is useless in a team fight: keep in mind, she doesn't have to hit all 4, she need only hit one and have the target die. Pop the ult on the target that's going to be focused, hit one spot, the rest of your team vaporizes them, and the healing circle gets dropped.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't know why so many people are harping on the model, it's not like its a live model. It's still in beta and they're still fixing it.

That said, the kit changing really isn't all that bad. Riot tried to make melee carries a thing and they failed pretty hard because champs like that swing back and forth between completely useless and completely overpowered every other patch. I'd rather have a balanced out champ instead of a champ that can 1v5 the entire team one game and then drag their own team to the depths another game.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The day a LoL fan realised that women, fictional or otherwise, don't have to fit their view of physical attractiveness. And even then, she still looks fine, even compared to the other female champions.

Excuse me while I weep for your tragedy. [sub]and honestly her passive and new w by far make up for the useless r, wtf is the problem?[/sub]

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Someone Depressing said:
The day a LoL fan realised that women, fictional or otherwise, don't have to fit their view of physical attractiveness. And even then, she still looks fine, even compared to the other female champions.

Excuse me while I weep for your tragedy. [sub]and honestly her passive and new w by far make up for the useless r, wtf is the problem?[/sub]
So the answer is to make her more cartoony? I wouldn't have an issue so much but they seem to want to move away from the more colorful/cartoon look. The changing of the rift aka the map, changing splash art and changing champ models; they are slowly making the game look closer to, dare I say it, DotA. And I used to like how silly it was from the word go(meaning without the alt skins).

I'm not upset about the Fiora change itself, just the trend. I'll quit outright if they mess with Ziggs, Swain, or Viegar. Wait.., have they been messed with?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
MerlinCross said:
So the answer is to make her more cartoony? I wouldn't have an issue so much but they seem to want to move away from the more colorful/cartoon look. The changing of the rift aka the map, changing splash art and changing champ models; they are slowly making the game look closer to, dare I say it, DotA. And I used to like how silly it was from the word go(meaning without the alt skins).

I'm not upset about the Fiora change itself, just the trend. I'll quit outright if they mess with Ziggs, Swain, or Viegar. Wait.., have they been messed with?
Veigar had kit changes...pretty sure they haven't messed with his model. Although I haven't played in a few months, and in that time, they released a new champion and reworked Gangplank.

Also, RIP Garen's frontflip. I miss you.