Riot Scraps League of Legends' "Magma Chamber" Map

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Riot Scraps League of Legends' "Magma Chamber" Map

Initially a huge 5v5 map, Magma Chamber was tweaked down to 2v2/1v1, before Riot eventually decided it just wasn't working.

Riot has firmly planted the final nail in the coffin of League of Legends' long in-development "Magma Chamber" map. In a blog post [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/10284], it announced that the Magma Chamber map, as well as the new "Showdown" 1v1/2v2 gamemode, were not sustainable as "permanent features," and has subsequently halted development of both the map and the gamemode.

"Ultimately, we concluded that Magma Chamber simply isn't the right place for us to further develop a great 1v1/2v2 experience and the mode itself isn't sustainable as a permanent feature."

Riot says one of the biggest reasons that Magma Chamber was given the chop was that it "ran well on the nigh-supercomputers pros were playing on, but it was far from optimized and had a slew of unforeseen performance issues". The developer added that the 1v1/2v2 showdown gamemode, while seeing a lot of popularity when it was first released, dropped down to less than 1% of what players were playing after a week.

Long-time League of Legends fans will remember that the Magma Chamber was first teased all the way back in 2010 [http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=2943270]. This vision of the map eventually re-worked into what would become Dominion, and we thought that this would be the last we saw of Magma Chamber.

However, the map recently saw a revival at a special "All-star Showdown" event in China, Christmas event [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/game-updates/all-star-showdown-magma-chamber], players were puzzled to find it taking place on the Howling Abyss map, rather than the Magma Chamber map they earlier.

It's always sad to see developers cutting features, but I suppose Riot knows best. Are you saddened by the loss of Magma Chamber and the showdown gamemode?

Source: League of Legends Blog [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/node/10284]

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I'm saddened by the fact we didn't get the default 5 v 5 map changed to the snowy christmas version over the christmas break

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Because League is renowned for being the best game for playing 1v1s. The loss of this game mode is 100% tragic. >.>

I don't even care, people played the 1v1 mode a few times because of the novelty and quickly realised it's kind of shit and only immature 12 year olds legitimately ask for 1v1s in the first place. Everyone knows the only map that matters is Summoner's Rift.

If you want silly game modes, reintroduce that One for All thing. I don't think there was anything funnier than 5 Jarvans.

Also its Howling Abyss not Howling Ford.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Because League is renowned for being the best game for playing 1v1s. The loss of this game mode is 100% tragic. >.>

I don't even care, people played the 1v1 mode a few times because of the novelty and quickly realised it's kind of shit and only immature 12 year olds legitimately ask for 1v1s in the first place. Everyone knows the only map that matters is Summoner's Rift.

If you want silly game modes, reintroduce that One for All thing. I don't think there was anything funnier than 5 Jarvans.

Yes, there was. Five Blitzcranks. Closely followed by five Sonas (QWEQWEQWEQWEQEWRQWEQWEQWE).

I'm a bit sad to see 1v1 not become a permanent feature. It would have been my only chance of not being constantly flamed by my teammates. :(

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
RoonMian said:
The Wykydtron said:

Yes, there was. Five Blitzcranks. Closely followed by five Sonas (QWEQWEQWEQWEQEWRQWEQWEQWE).

I'm a bit sad to see 1v1 not become a permanent feature. It would have been my only chance of not being constantly flamed by my teammates. :(
5 Nidalees on the other hand was the most disgusting thing imaginable. It wasn't hard to get hit by two spears at once and immediately drop on the spot. Then they would never die because you're chasing Nidalee.

I played quite a bit of 5 Garens and the silence train was hilarious. 5 Ryze destroys 5 Swains apparently and 5 Twisted Fates is terrible if you don't have the coordination to teleport around otherwise it's hilarious. Someone starts tower diving and suddenly receive 3 Gold Cards to the face. Well more like 2 Golds and 1 Blue because people are incapable of locking the right card.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
5 Nidalees on the other hand was the most disgusting thing imaginable. It wasn't hard to get hit by two spears at once and immediately drop on the spot. Then they would never die because you're chasing Nidalee.

I played quite a bit of 5 Garens and the silence train was hilarious. 5 Ryze destroys 5 Swains apparently and 5 Twisted Fates is terrible if you don't have the coordination to teleport around otherwise it's hilarious. Someone starts tower diving and suddenly receive 3 Gold Cards to the face. Well more like 2 Golds and 1 Blue because people are incapable of locking the right card.
Thing is: I played with a few buddies 5 Sonas against 5 Nidalees. First it was terrible because we kept eating spears. But then the spider heal really started to shine and after we were down to the nexus turrets we just steamrolled them XD

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
RoonMian said:
The Wykydtron said:

Thing is: I played with a few buddies 5 Sonas against 5 Nidalees. First it was terrible because we kept eating spears. But then the spider heal really started to shine and after we were down to the nexus turrets we just steamrolled them XD
I remember I did 5 mundo vs 5 nidalee. It was kinda close until we got our ults, but then max cleaver+ulti means that they simply cant do enough damage to kill us and they can't get away. And THEN we started buying warmogs.

Most noteworthy I did was 5 rammus vs 5 singed. That game took 85 minutes and the singed got so desperate they tried to switch to AD at the end because with rammus with max magic resist and overlapping they couldn't win teamfights and we could destroy towers too quickly. Of course, even without many armor items rammus is good against AD anyway, so we won.

OH! Also did jinx vs vi. That one was really fun because it was damn close. Vi out-tanked jinx in the end though.