Rip Torn Takes a Plea For Drunken, Armed Bank Loitering

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Rip Torn Takes a Plea For Drunken, Armed Bank Loitering

Rip Torn won't go to jail for being blitzed, in a bank, with a loaded gun, but will probably think twice before doing it again.

In January 2010, actor and comedian Rip Torn drunkenly ambled into a Litchfield, Connecticut bank with a loaded revolver. He was arrested, and plead guilty this week to charges of reckless endangerment, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, and illegally carrying a handgun. According to The New York Times, Torn's lawyer simply said "the actor was thankful that no one had been injured and that he had not been sent to jail."

Thanks to this guilty plea, Torn will serve a two-and-a-half year suspended sentence and three years' probation. As a condition of that probation, he will have to submit to random drug and alcohol testing. This is not Torn's first alcohol-related offense; he has previously been placed on probation, fined, and had his license suspended, all on drunk-driving charges.

The 79-year old Torn has worked in television and movies since 1956, and has an Oscar nomination and an Emmy win under his belt. He's currently filming Men In Black III, reprising his role as Zed, but to me he'll always be Patches O'Houlihan, the wrench-hurling coach my father loves to imitate.

Source: The New York Times ArtsBeat [http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/rip-torn-in-plea-deal-for-bank-arrest/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
So...He's not going to be in anything for awhile then, huh?

I loved his work this year in God of War 3...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The MIIIB crew is gonna keep a close eye on him, now, they don't want him getting thrown in jail mid-production.

P.S. Thanks

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
As did I.

His portrayal of Hephaestus was like a mix of Gollum meets Gandalf and I freakin loved it.

...I wouldn't want the guy on my lawn though.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Thats bullcrap! send him to jail! I dont care who you are, you dont go into a bank with a gun and get off with no jail time!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
As did I.

His portrayal of Hephaestus was like a mix of Gollum meets Gandalf and I freakin loved it.
I didn't realize it was him until the credits, and the man can still act.

Fucking Kratos, killing my favorite character

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
79 years old? Just let the guy get smashed and carry around a gun. How much time does he really have to endanger us anymore?

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
mechanixis said:
All I got out of this is "...his name is really Rip Torn??"
"The rippin' and the tearin'! The rippin' and the tearin'!"

If you've seen Tosh.0 you should get that reference.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Casual Shinji said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
As did I.

Neither did I. His voice sounded familiar, but it wasn't untill I checked out the extras and saw a grizzled, old Rip Torn in bad need of a haircut, stumble into the soundbooth.
I know how you feel. There have only been two moments in the entire GoW trilogy, where I uttered the words; 'Kratos, that was SO not cool!'

And that was one of them.

However, it did add some relevance to the sex mini-game...

That look on Hephaestus' face when he expects Aphrodite to walk through the gate and he sees it's you after you've boned his wife, it's fucking priceless. Then, after you've killed him, you step into Aphrodite's chamber and give it to her again when Hephaestus' body isn't even cold.

That's got to be the ultimate burn!

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Thats bullcrap! send him to jail! I dont care who you are, you dont go into a bank with a gun and get off with no jail time!
Who's willing to bet that he WOULD have been sent to jail if he was just your average Joe?

Double standards, ahoy...

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
Brad Shepard said:
Who's willing to bet that he WOULD have been sent to jail if he was just your average Joe?

Maybe, but also, he didn't hurt anyone and he plead guilty and now has to go through random drug screening and shit, so he is being punished atleast and they didn't just go "Oh you... You aren't gonna do that again are ya?" "No sir" "Okay... Here's your gin and gun back, now run on home."

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
Brad Shepard said:

Double standards be damned!

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Casual Shinji said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
As did I.

Neither did I. His voice sounded familiar, but it wasn't untill I checked out the extras and saw a grizzled, old Rip Torn in bad need of a haircut, stumble into the soundbooth.
I know how you feel. There have only been two moments in the entire GoW trilogy, where I uttered the words; 'Kratos, that was SO not cool!'

And that was one of them.

However, it did add some relevance to the sex mini-game...

That look on Hephaestus' face when he expects Aphrodite to walk through the gate and he sees it's you after you've boned his wife, it's fucking priceless. Then, after you've killed him, you step into Aphrodite's chamber and give it to her again when Hephaestus' body isn't even cold.

That's got to be the ultimate burn!
The other moment?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
The other moment?
When he uses the slave girl to hold up that giant gate wheel, and you hear her get crunched under its weight.