Ripper Reviews: V for Vendetta (Graphic Novel)

RipperSU

Nov 20, 2009
In recent times, the United Kingdom has ever more advanced into an Orwellian dystopia. With three cameras for every man, woman and child in the country, ideas such as Big Brother and the Thought Police have quickly made the transition from fantasy to reality. With the imposed introduction of identity cards, the newly revised "Terrorism Act" and New Labour's incessant trampling of civil liberties; it's clear to see that the United Kingdom is heading towards a dark place. However, if there was ever a work of fiction that could kick the apathetic masses into caring about the demise of their own basic freedoms; Alan Moore's ''V for Vendetta'' would be it.

Starting in 1982 as a feature in British magazine, "Warrior"; "V" was eventually bought by US comic book giants DC when that magazine folded. Illustrated by David Lloyd and written by Alan Moore (a strong supporter of Anarchism), the story is centred in Britain in an alternate 1998. After total nuclear disarmament, Britain is one of the only countries not targeted in an all out nuclear war. However, due to the panic and isolationism that has been onset from the war; a radical group of fascists have taken control of the country. Britain is now a totalitarian state under strict rules and constant surveillance, being run by bigots who use their corrupt secret police to keep their grip on the populous. All opposition, or those not accepted by the government due to racial or lifestyle purposes, are sent to concentration and extermination camps. From one of these camps comes V. An unknown figure and an escapee from a government experiment; V dispenses justice to those that would take advantage of the country and its people. Armed only with a Guy Fawkes mask and his guerrilla warfare tactics he wages a one man revolution.

From the opening chapter to the gripping finale it's clear to see that "V for Vendetta" is much more than just another graphic novel. Firstly, the level of story telling is fantastic. Instead of opting for just a simple microcosm of a world gone wrong, Moore and Lloyd choose to represent the lives of more than just the eponymous protagonist. Side plots weave in and out of the story, while some just act to give more context and to break up the main narrative. Artwork plays a key role too, Lloyds style comes off as dark and almost film noir in style. The lack of traditional comic book conventions such as thought bubbles also distinguish the work as something that's made for mature audiences and as a result; brings the novel to an almost cinematic level of realism. This approach really highlights the scale of Moore's fascist state and really underlines why a character like V is essential. In terms of characters "V for Vendetta" really changes things around for the better. Instead of the 2-dimensional protagonist and antagonist method, Moore opts for a heavy layer of ambiguity. Although V is arguably doing the right thing by working to get rid of the totalitarian regime, his methods are most definitely frowned upon. This is where the readers own conscience is questioned. Where does one draw the line? Is it right to achieve an end by any means? Is terrorism justified for the greater good? Moore poses these questions throughout the novel making "V for Vendetta" a work that is definitely going to give the serious reader some sleepless nights and some ethical quarrels.

The main focus in "V for Vendetta" is its ideas. Although most are hardly original and many feel as though they have been ripped straight from Huxley and Orwell, Alan Moore's fantastic literary prowess and David Lloyd's superb visual style really add something different. Even though 1998 has been and gone and nuclear war skipped by, there is still something very real about "V for Vendetta". When reading this book, many events will ring a little too close to home. Although anti-conservative in essence, "V for Vendetta" is also very pro anarchist. However, the aforementioned ambiguity within the novel always stops it from becoming preachy; so while Moore lets you know his angle on things, the reader is left enough space to figure out their own.

"V for Vendetta" can be taken as a highly entertaining work of fiction, or it can be taken as a warning. Judging from the current state of affairs in this country, the latter would seem more appropriate. After 25 years, the message of this novel is more relevant than ever. As mentioned before, we are moving towards a more restrictive society, with Government gaining more and more power. However, this will carry on mainly due to general apathy about politics from the masses due to the feeling as though nothing affects them. The same thing happened in Nazi Germany and the same thing is happening in this country right now. Government won't be the death of freedom, apathy will. While works of fiction like "V for Vendetta" are still around though, there is a glimmer of hope; a hope that people can start to think for themselves and change the direction we are going in. This is why V for Vendetta is one of the most important works of fiction ever produced. Anyone capable of rational thought should consider it essential reading.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Damn good review. I totally agree, I keep V for vendetta under my bed and whip it out whenever I want to scare myself.

domble

Sep 2, 2009
V for Vendetta is one of my favourite works, the fact that it came from the same author as The Watchmen... well, it's hard to imagine how so much genius can fit in one head.

The weird thing is, this review did it justice. Damn good stuff man, keep it up.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
Bought the book a few weeks ago and finished reading it last week. Great review, I really enjoyed the book as well.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Great review. I don't know how realistic it seemed in 1982 but it's eerily close to Britain today in some ways.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
domble said:
V for Vendetta is one of my favourite works, the fact that it came from the same author as The Watchmen... well, it's hard to imagine how so much genius can fit in one head.

The weird thing is, this review did it justice. Damn good stuff man, keep it up.
Simple, my dear boy. You see, Alan Moore has a second brain stored in his beard.

(That might make more sense if you google Image Alan Moore.)

ThePreshFrince

Feb 11, 2010
I actually think V for Vendetta was one of Moore's weakest novels. The Killing Joke is just awe inspiring and Watchmen and From Hell are pretty amazing too. It was just..Ehh. Too British. I couldn't get into it.

domble

Sep 2, 2009
the protaginist said:
domble said:

Simple, my dear boy. You see, Alan Moore has a second brain stored in his beard.

(That might make more sense if you google Image Alan Moore.)
lol yeah I saw him on the back cover of V as a kid, for years I though chewbacca had learned to write.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Brilliant review. I bought this a few weeks back and finished it in about a day. I just couldn't put it down and it really did pose some very deep questions. I loved the idea of the character being cast in a light of good though he broke all archetypes of a hero. It truly is a great book to have in my opinion. Again well done, you did it justice.