Rise of the Tomb Raider Preview: Woman vs. Wild

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011

Lara Croft has grown since her last game; she?s got more skills, more confidence, and actual pants.

Read Full Article

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Thank goodness it's a virtual impossibility that this will be an Xbox one exclusive in Japan or else I'll never get to play it. Loved the first one, but not enough to buy a console over it. Good to know it seems good though.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Same release date as Fallout 4? Oh boy... but it can?t reach SE sales expectations anyway being only on Xbox One.
RIP Tomb Raider?

On a more serious note sounds like it?s shaping up decently. I liked the first game so I?m going to pick up this one. Just not sure if on Xbox One.
And yea TressFX is important!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Ishigami said:
Same release date as Fallout 4? Oh boy... but it can?t reach SE sales expectations anyway being only on Xbox One.
RIP Tomb Raider?
Square Enix should count their fuckin' blessings. If Tomb Raider was scheduled for release on all platforms the same date as Fallout 4, it probably wouldn't meet the expected sales. The fact that they get a second chance with the PS4 and PC a few months later after timed exclusivity ends is their saving grace.

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
I hate the way this franchise turned it's back on it's fans...
I liked Tomb Raider....

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
So its trying to be Farcry and Uncharted , but not Tomb Raider. So its Rise of the Generic Raider, good to know. Bring back the T-Rex, or the Kraken, just in a better boss fight. And a sense of humour, some variety in tone.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Well, with such an awful name, I think we can probably expect the next one to be called "Tomb Raider: Amidst Tombs" and then the sorta kinda not final one "Tomb Raider's Deceit".

But while I don't and never have care about Tomb Raider, I hope Square has put some thought into how many copies they can actually sell. Unless they deliberately chose such a terrible launch date to make this a flop and stop making them, but I doubt that.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Tomb Raiding is still just 'segments'. OK. I may buy it when it will come to PC for a 'segment' of its pice. I think it's quite fair.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Sarah LeBoeuf said:

Lara Croft has grown since her last game; she?s got more skills, more confidence, and actual pants.

Read Full Article
And she still lacks the physique to do any of the feats that she supposedly does in the game.

This is one thing that has really annoyed me about the changes over time to Lara as a character. On one hand they slut-shamed her because she had pair of "big polygons" when she was first conceived, but under the argument of course that it's "unrealistic". Fine, it's unrealistic. But then again so is someone with the physique of a hipster starbucks barista scaling the side of a mountain. One look at her character and you can tell she doesn't have the upper body strength to bench press a six pack of beer. How is this not "unrealistic"? And yes, she has pants now - probably to hide the doughy appendages she calls "legs" that wouldn't be able to propel her more than a few centimeters into the air if she gave it a good shot.

It's very strange to me, it's like every iteration of Lara she gets more waifish and less like someone who ought to be a highly physical globe trotting adventurer - yet for some reason this is "progress" because her chest isn't big or because she is wearing pants instead of shorts. Her latest iteration has her slightly bouncing back from the previous one where she had limbs so thin she looked like a heroin addled pole dancer, but it's hardly a positive body image, because god forbid a woman actually look athletic in a game - you know, with muscles and stuff. But no, let's focus on pants because really, what a woman wears is how we define them in society so obviously we need to make sure we get this right.

I have to admit to being one of the people who bought the argument the first time around from these people, but now I've come to the conclusion that they were essentially just slut shaming a video game character of all things. It somewhat baffles me, but having witnessed every iteration of this series (and yes, I own every game) I've come to the appreciation that poor Lara Croft has been used as a battleground for trying to control the representation of female bodies in video games and that this "battle" if you will has far out-stripped this series general contribution to gaming. When people say "realism" what they're really saying is, "How we want her to be", since there is absolutely fucking nothing "realistic" about Lara Croft - hell one look at her and you can tell that if she ever fired one of those huge hand cannons she has she'd give herself a concussion from smashing her face in with the recoil.

Look, I'm not saying every game needs to be as realistic as humanly possible, they're video games after all and a healthy dose of suspension of belief is required. However when people criticize a game or a game character over things like their wardrobe, I'm absolutely calling it out as puerile nonsense and Lara Croft is a great damn example because as a character in a video game she has a hell of a lot more problems with her "representation" than if she is wearing long pants or not.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
StorkV said:
I hate the way this franchise turned it's back on it's fans...
I liked Tomb Raider....
HAH.

HAH.

HAH.

Oh, I'm sorry, were you serious and you forgot the travesty of Angel of Darkness? Or am I supposed to believe that THIS is somehow the back-turning of the franchise? PFfffffffft. PFFFFFFFT, I say!

...Oh, are you complaining about the exclusivity? Meh, it'll be ported within three months, guaranteed.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Yay, moderately excited about it. First game was good, and it does seem like they stick with their guns and only add stuff, don't change stuff needlessly.

You got me with the hair.