Rising Thunder - How We Learn Fighting Games and Why It's a Problem

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
RaikuFA said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
RaikuFA said:
Don't forget the constant harassment for not being a pro at birth.
Sure, if you played a handful of online matches and quit after you got your feelings hurt instead of muting douchbags.

I find "harassment" for sucking at games is more of a factor in team based games. In 1v1 fighting games there's not too much trash talk. If you lose its on you and you alone. Not everyone who is good at the game is playing to be pro. Some people legit like playing a game and *gasps* like getting good at it.
Considering my only time playing was not only getting curbstomped but getting death threats for being a "worthless scrub" then you can see why I hate the fgc.
Who threatened you? a 12 year old on Xbox Live?

That kind of immature verbal vomiting has been in the gaming community since mics were able to be used online. That's not exclusive to fighting games' community. Please go play a Dota 2 or CS:GO match purposefully bad and see vitriol in different languages thrown at you. Blaming fighting games for bad behaviour that happens in nearly all online experiences in any genre is silly.

And you getting mad at fighting games for you "getting curbstomped" is like an untrained person blaming the sport of Boxing for his KO. Seems you played very little of a fighting game and are angry you weren't good immediately.
I have played MOBA's . They're just as bad. Don't see why the FGC has to be that toxic as well.

Bradmaster Flash

Jun 4, 2013
RaikuFA said:
I have played MOBA's . They're just as bad. Don't see why the FGC has to be that toxic as well.
Just curious, which fighting game did you play and on which platform? Both your XBL and Steam profiles show no fighting games on record at all. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone getting threatened in any way for being bad in a fighting game dude. Sure you get the occasional person who'll message you calling you a scrub if you lose, but they tend to be douchebags and people like that are often shunned. Death threats are on another level, and if anything you should report whoever sent said offending message to their local authorities. Don't let a few bad eggs stop you from embracing a massive community which is incredibly welcoming/helpful. It's constantly expanding and the big budget releases are drawing even more to the scene. There has never been a better time to get into fighting games!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bradmaster Flash said:
RaikuFA said:
Just curious, which fighting game did you play and on which platform? Both your XBL and Steam profiles show no fighting games on record at all. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone getting threatened in any way for being bad in a fighting game dude. Sure you get the occasional person who'll message you calling you a scrub if you lose, but they tend to be douchebags and people like that are often shunned. Death threats are on another level, and if anything you should report whoever sent said offending message to their local authorities. Don't let a few bad eggs stop you from embracing a massive community which is incredibly welcoming/helpful. It's constantly expanding and the big budget releases are drawing even more to the scene. There has never been a better time to get into fighting games!
It was on Street Fighter 4 and Arcana Heart 3 on PSN(don't think I have it on my profile). Police don't do jack shit about online threats. Plus, I'm not suprised they still act like this from the arcade days.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Those filthy casuals are ruining games. We must end them once and for all.
Just reminded me of something I came up with recently... I'm 35 years old and I've been gaming since I was 5. When I hear people talk about casual play I think to myself I've been around for 30 years doing this shit and if I want to play casual I've goddamn well earned the right. My quarters fueled this industry. I've worn my skin down raw on gamepads, bled in PC cases, pioneered overclocking, owned one of the very first 3D accelerator cards and sent my top scores and endgame screens captured on polaroid to Nintendo Power. I played MUDs, the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL, hosted LAN parties, taken part in the tournaments that spawned ESports, played MtG in Beta without having a clue how popular it would be or how much those cards would be worth.

The point is that having been a gamer since the mid-1980's, and having been through a lot of bullshit, I've come to the conclusion that what I've striven for in getting gaming as a hobby to be more mainstream accepted means that ALL types of play is valid and none are the gatekeepers of what is and is not gaming.
Hardcore, casual, doesn't matter its all valid and everyone deserves to play how they want. Tolerance and inclusivity are two-way streets.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
RaikuFA said:
Just reminded me of something I came up with recently... I'm 35 years old and I've been gaming since I was 5. When I hear people talk about casual play I think to myself I've been around for 30 years doing this shit and if I want to play casual I've goddamn well earned the right. My quarters fueled this industry. I've worn my skin down raw on gamepads, bled in PC cases, pioneered overclocking, owned one of the very first 3D accelerator cards and sent my top scores and endgame screens captured on polaroid to Nintendo Power. I played MUDs, the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL, hosted LAN parties, taken part in the tournaments that spawned ESports, played MtG in Beta without having a clue how popular it would be or how much those cards would be worth.

The point is that having been a gamer since the mid-1980's, and having been through a lot of bullshit, I've come to the conclusion that what I've striven for in getting gaming as a hobby to be more mainstream accepted means that ALL types of play is valid and none are the gatekeepers of what is and is not gaming.
Hardcore, casual, doesn't matter its all valid and everyone deserves to play how they want. Tolerance and inclusivity are two-way streets.
That's what I've been trying to say.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
RaikuFA said:

That's what I've been trying to say.
I figured. I just needed a jumping off point to spout my spiel.

Bradmaster Flash

Jun 4, 2013
It's all well and good wanting to play games casually, and I'm all for it. It's just incredibly hard for fighting games to cater to both the casual and the dedicated player. You often get a whole crowd of people stating that fighting games are too difficult to get into and how they get bodied by other players etc, but that's how it has to be. Devs flat out reducing the mechanical difficulty of these games is not an option as it drastically lowers the skill ceiling. A desire for tutorials in game are fine but all of these are easy enough to find in resources online and anyone who says that they can't get better due to this lack of in game help are kidding themselves.

The only issue with a lot of current fighters is the way that the online ranking system works. A lot of the time players are put up against players who are disproportionately stronger than them and when it happens multiple times it definitely discourages.

My only suggestions to people who want to play fighting games casually is that you just flat out ignore the points system, and if you get too stressed fighting against randoms online, find a group of friends willing to play unranked and just play with those. As you learn new tech, your friends will have to adapt to catch up and you will 100% see a rise in skill level without all the effort in the world required. A lot of my hours in Street Fighter have come from just setting up an endless lobby with ~7 of my friends and just having a great time playing. The competition makes itself and you can have a laugh at the same time! I found that through all of my playtime, the most valuable skills have been picked up from just playing locally with housemates or in endless with friends. There's something about playing with people you know that makes you want to pick it up that much more, and I'd highly recommend trying it!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I've got no problem with fighting games taking time to learn. If I did, I wouldn't play grand strategy, Twitch Based Shooters, High Speed action games, RTS, etc. It really seems people these days don't want to put in the work to get good at games. If I spend upwards of $60 ($75 here in Canada) on a game. I'm going to play the shit out of it. People saying thy don't have the time to play certain games I think are trying to play too many at once.