RL Kill Streak

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
So apparently (according to my brother) a soldier in Afghanistan(?) had a 30 kill "kill streak" .He finds this good and fun, I find this bad because you shouldnt celebrate death.

But what do YOU think Escapists? Is this an amazing "Call of Duty like feat" (As my brother says) or is this some dumb celebration?

Note that we're both gamers for any game, not like "I only play War games so I'm a gamer".

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
You know for men being paid to be shot at to fight on our behalf? I think I can forgive them for trying to find a little piece of levity in a miserable existence like that.

EDIT: And I think we should celebrate death any chance we can. But yes, thats just me, Im an evil prick.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
I think it's bad that one person should have to take so many lives and wonder what it may do to his state of mind in a few years. However I think that it's good that he is renowned for soing something that is useful and, to many, noble. Although I remember reading an article about insane feats during war and one sniper (he may have been Polish not that that makes a difference) racked up something like 500 kills with his rifle and 200 kills with his side arm. On his own. Without the knowledge of the army. I'll go hunt for it...

Edit: Found it! found it! [http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_5-real-life-soldiers-who-make-rambo-look-like-pussy.html] It's an article of 5 men who "made Rambo look like a pussy" He's no. 5. He got 542 kills with his rifle and ~150 with his side arm. In the end they were so scared of "The White Death" They carpet bombed the area he was hiding in. He survived. He eventually got shot in the head with an exploding bullet and taken into the camp as a corpse with "half his head missing". He walked out a week later and only stopped killing when the war ended. It's a good article actually and well worth reading the details on him and the others.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Heh, my friends and I are always joking about how we should kill someone so we don't have a negative k/d ratio.

Anyway, yeah, I don't know what to think of this. On the one hand he's being childishly lighthearted, which I tend to appreciate these days.
But... damn, that's cold. An inch too far perhaps.

And anyway, how do they keep track? It would be hard to coin that sort of thing in a gunfight - it could just be a gross exaggeration. Chinese whispers and all that.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Rhymenoceros said:
I think it's bad that one person should have to take so many lives and wonder what it may do to his state of mind in a few years. However I think that it's good that he is renowned for soing something that is useful and, to many, noble. Although I remember reading an article about insane feats during war and one sniper (he may have been Polish not that that makes a difference) racked up something like 500 kills with his rifle and 200 kills with his side arm. On his own. Without the knowledge of the army. I'll go hunt for it...
You mean this guy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4]?

OT: While I can understand it, it's still a bit sick stating it like that. It cheapens human life.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
My kill streak is 0.

How long until I get my UAV?

OT: I don't see a problem with our war heroes trying to survive the mental anguish of war by making jokes and adding lightheartedness to their lives.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
Hagenzz said:
Rhymenoceros said:
That's Simo Hayha. Well, I think, from your description. He was Finnish. And you probably read that article on cracked.com.

On topic: Good for him. That means that there's 30 less insane fundamentalists around, which is 30 more than any of us have contributed (to any soldier reading this, my apologies).
I for one will drink an extra beer at the BBQ I'm going to tonight in honor of this man, and the fighting he did so I could have aforementioned BBQ without being blown up by terrorists.
That's the one
GundamSentinel said:
Rhymenoceros said:
You mean this guy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4]?

OT: While I can understand it, it's still a bit sick stating it like that. It cheapens human life.
Yeah, him. And I actually linked the article in my edit :p
I knew it was cracked all along I just didn't know how long it would take to find the actual article

Shio

Jun 4, 2011
It's difficult to blame a solider, trained to kill and believing what they are doing to be for the good of their country, for seeing things this way and making light of a terrifying experience. But war is, although as natural as birth, not something I think should ever be celebrated. Remembered, yes. Mourned, yes. The soldiers honoured and respected in certain situations, yes. But none of it should ever be made a joke.

The catastrophic mess that is the "Iraq war" least of all. If ever there was government sectioned murder and racial eugenics, it would look a lot like that.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
In my mind, a one kill streak is impressive, and one too many. But while I'm not a pacifist, I'm too [nice]/[naive] (delete where appropriate) to consider killing a worthy thing to make targets for.

shreedder

May 19, 2009
I don't find it wrong to celebrate his achievement. He lived through an engagement he probably should have died in.

It really sucks that we need to be putting people in that situation, but we are only human.

I will celebrate the fact that this solider lived, and mourn the death of 30 people.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Hey, it's war. He's not killing people over there, he's killing the enemy, which is the mindset you need to take if you want to stay mentally sound. Most of the guys they kill over there wouldn't hesitate to kill any soldier or to take advantage of the smallest act of mercy. Look up "Operation: Red Wings" to see what I mean. Plus, 30 enemies dead means who knows how many lives saved, and THAT is something that should be celebrated.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
I sighed and smirked at the same time. If war is hell then it might you might as well get your perks when you can.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Flammable said:
I personally think he's a sick bastard, those people had parents who felt unconditional love when they were born, they had childhoods,they're fucking human beings. He should have some form of respect for the sanctity of life. If he's going to take a job where he kills people, whatever, I think it's wrong, but others don't, he should at least think of them as people.
And end up living out the rest of his life in anguish? I know those people he killed wouldn't lose any sleep over him dying, that's for sure. I'm against killing, but I'm not naive enough to say that soldiers are murderers. There's a difference between killing the enemy in armed conflict and killing someone just because you can.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
i don't believe in defending your country in another country. so i celebrate every death of an american british etc. soldier in afganistan/iraq etc.
same other way around. if a "terrorist" gets cought on american soil

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
I know those people he killed wouldn't lose any sleep over him dying, that's for sure.
sry dawg but thats f*ng bullshit. so "those people" are less human than you guys? They don't get the same feeling when they kill a man?

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
JUGGERNAUTBITCH said:
Jack the Potato said:
I know those people he killed wouldn't lose any sleep over him dying, that's for sure.
sry dawg but thats f*ng bullshit. so "those people" are less human than you guys? They don't get the same feeling when they kill a man?
Well... They won't. On account of them being dead.
:3
(I know what the point was, but it wasn't phrased perfectly, so I couldn't resist)