Road Rash, Populous Comebacks Not Impossible, Says EA

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
If they make it anything like this video, it'll be fantastic:
To elaborate, it's a pre-design concept video an animator at EA made some years back for a potential Road Rash game.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
If they would bring a proper Dungeon Keeper and Genewars back i'd be first to pre-order CE, adly those games would really need tons of work to make them worthy comebacks as well as updating the gameplay to nowadays standards and possibilities. I can see where he stands with being cautious about it.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Bring back Dungeon Keeper, I will be happy forever.
Yeah, sad thing is that DK2 was a bit of a flop. So it is probably quite unlikely we'll ever see a new game or a remake :(

I guess there is still hope in the War For the Overworld [http://warfortheoverworld.com] fan project, if it can ever get released that is...

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Dectilon said:
Well, a new dungeon keeper game came out fairly recently. I haven't played it though so I don't know if its any good.
If you speak of Dungeons [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_(computer_game)] then you are unfortunately mistaken. Gameplay is quite different, and in a lot of way really tedious.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Much like Mortal Kombat, Road Rash did not weather the polygon/3D era very well at all but I think a modern Road Rash Game with current gen technology could be amazing.

We now have the resources to render full 3D cities while traveling at 200mph as you try to billy club the person ahead of you in HD!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
The mana flows through me like fire
I would love a new Populous game.

I understand where EA is coming from. A lot of fans hate any change whatsoever to their nostalgia even if the game is widely enjoyed by a new audience the old crowd accuse the developers of selling out or dumbing down or the like.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Zeithri said:
Aah, I love Road Rash. So many fun cutscenes.
Then Road Rash 64... What a hilarious game XD

I love you for that.

Ok really....No Road Rash comeback??!

WHAT THE FXXXING HELL!

In an age where Gore + Blood are one of the sails in your gaming ship....Road Rash would be beastmode....

Road Rash 64 was the best game I ever owned and still love to play it to this day!

.....I hate EA....and everything they are or will be

qou2600

Oct 20, 2009
ccesarano said:
Mutant League Football.

All they have to do is hand off their engine for the Madden series and let a bunch of talented developers turn it into one big pile of awesome. Why they haven't acted on this game is a complete mystery to me.
I've been telling people that they should take the madden engine and do something different with it for years, even if it's something as simple as adding an extra mode in the game to break the realism. Like a lights out mode where most of the lights are off and the jersey's and field look like something from tron.
SirCannonFodder said:
If they make it anything like this video, it'll be fantastic:

To elaborate, it's a pre-design concept video an animator at EA made some years back for a potential Road Rash game.
That looks great, I would love to see they doing something with that concept.

I think it's great that EA is exerting quality control on releasing old classics, it's something that needs to be done more often in all media franchises not just video games.

L8NEYET

Dec 6, 2010
ccesarano said:
Mutant League Football.

All they have to do is hand off their engine for the Madden series and let a bunch of talented developers turn it into one big pile of awesome. Why they haven't acted on this game is a complete mystery to me.
I loved Mutant League Football and Hockey, but I don't think it sold well. I agree and would love to see a remake.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Loved Desert Strike on my SNES, would love a new fully 3d version, plus a Dungeon Keeper 3 some point this decade wouldn't go amiss...

I think I played Roadrash at an arcade once, with proper ride on bikes and some buttons on the handle bars to attack with., was quite fun, wouldn't mind seeing more fighter-racing games about, theres not been many good ones for a while now.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
MMmmm.....I'd be all over some Road Rash revival. I spent many an hour on the genesis punching and kicking people off motorcycles.

dan-wah

Dec 21, 2010
Void(null) said:
Much like Mortal Kombat, Road Rash did not weather the polygon/3D era very well at all but I think a modern Road Rash Game with current gen technology could be amazing.

We now have the resources to render full 3D cities while traveling at 200mph as you try to billy club the person ahead of you in HD!
That sounds EPIC. The next GTA needs melee on bikes.

Desert Strike would be immense too, aaaaah the memories of rescuing POW's and blowing up SCUD's when i was 6/7, games just aint the same anymore..

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Wing Commander! Wing Commander! Wing Commander! Halo Reach just gave millions of younger gamers a taste of space combat sim, strike while the iron's hot!

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
Three awesome series of games, that I'd love to see given another chance to grace out computer screens. Road Rash is one of the games that I first cut my gaming teeth on, with no chance for protests to cut it down, since it takes so much skill to ride a bike and beat someone senseless at the same time. I'd actually love to see those graphics improved, it would enhance the game so much.

Populous is another fantastic game that should be brought back to life - the endless and almost primal struggle of getting people to follow one leader, to whatever end they choose, either damnation or salvation. Who can tell and with a better plot, this might just work. The music was the best part of these games, back in the day and I could do with taking it for a run or two, just to recall part of my childhood.

As for Dungeon Keeper... Well, I've had Overlord and Dungeons to try and fill that gap, since the series was shelved around the time of development of DK3. It was sad, since that game was just about to get really good, with the invasion of the heroes' realm. A new dynamic for that game and a real chance to give the games developers something to chew on - a game with substance, a unique take on how things work and almost limitless possibilities. I'd love to see this game come back to our screens and if truth be told, I'm not sure I ever really got over it's untimely death, over 10 years ago. Some day, someone will flick the switch and reintroduce the spark of life to this creation, with more unspeakable horrors issuing forth!

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm calm... I just need a moment or two.

Mar 26, 2008
New Road Rash, oh god yes! As long as we're talking Megadrive era Road Rash and not the shitty N64 era ones. Road Rash on the Saturn wasn't bad though.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Keava said:
If they would bring a proper Dungeon Keeper and Genewars back i'd be first to pre-order CE, adly those games would really need tons of work to make them worthy comebacks as well as updating the gameplay to nowadays standards and possibilities. I can see where he stands with being cautious about it.
I disagree, at least as far as Dungeon Keeper goes. I'd be delighted if I could just have a copy that worked on my Win7 PC, period. Same graphics, same gameplay.

I wouldn't mind improvements, but the problem with a lot of designers is, they seem to have zero respect for the work of teams that have gone before them. Once they start to meddle they never stop, and soon the game is unrecognizable (like Dungeon Keeper 2, ugh).

I loved the original Populous, also. That'd be another one I'd pay good money for, dated graphics or not.

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
Simcity 4, I beg of you. Also please stop making maxis create new versions of spore, the game was shit and you know it (the concept was great but they just didn't bring it though.) The amount of fans they could adress is surpisingly big, but sadly EA is still in control of all the bullfrog titles and the maxis ones, so this will never happen