Robert Downey Jr. Stays On As Iron Man

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Robert Downey Jr. Stays On As Iron Man

Sorry Jackie Chan, but Robert Downey Jr. is still Iron Man.

Putting to rest fears that he might be tired of the gig, Robert Downey Jr. has signed a two-picture deal to reprise his role as billionaire genius Tony Stark, better known to the world at large as Iron Man. The deal will see him play the Armored Avenger in the next two Avengers flicks.

It's not known how much money he earned for signing on the dotted line, but it's almost certainly more than anyone else in the cast and quite possibly more than all of them combined. Not that it wouldn't be worth however many money trucks Marvel rolled up to his door: The last two films in which Downey appeared as Iron Man, The Avengers in 2012 and Iron Man 3 this year, are two of the five top-grossing films of all time, earning more than $2.7 billion between them.

The Avengers 2 is being written and directed by Joss Whedon and is slated to hit theaters in the U.S. on May 1, 2015.

Source: Marvel [http://marvel.com/news/story/20786/robert_downey_jr_to_return_as_marvels_iron_man]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
He really did hit the character of Tony Stark on the head.
I'd say his paycheck is obscene, but then again, so are the profits for those films.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
Yup, good purchase. Losing him as Iron Man would be the worst thing that could possibly hit this franchise.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'm glad Iron Downey Jr. has embraced his character. A lot of actors grow resentful when their careers get too tied to a role. RDJ loves the comics and really enjoys being known as Iron Man.

In true Stark fashion Robert Downey Man said that one of the perks of being publicly known as the character is that he gets to act like himself on camera. I love this guy.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Some say that he received $50 million for his role in The Avengers. Can you imagine playing superheroes with a bunch of awesome people AND getting payed a ridiculous amount of money to do it?

DVS BSTrD said:
But when is Pepper Potts going to get her own movie?
When she becomes relevant.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Thank God... I couldnt even began to imagine what Iron Man or the Avengers would look like without Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sounds like they may hold off on doing more Iron Man-specific films until a reboot unfortunately :(

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I'm glad, at this point it would be very difficult to accept anyone else in the role. It's easy for him to be Tony Stark, and that really comes accross in his performance.

And he's one of those men that just gets more and more attractive the older he gets. Yum.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Fappy said:
Sounds like they may hold off on doing more Iron Man-specific films until a reboot unfortunately :(
Meh they don't need to now, his story has finished, he will probably make cameo appearances across other marvel films as well as being in the next 2 avenger films

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
That's a relief.
It would have sucked to have to get someone else to fill the role when RDJ plays it so masterfully.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
RDJ seems like he was born for the role, I couldn't imagine anyone else. I am curious as to what role he'll have in The Avengers 2/3 after IM3.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Awesome news. Could not have imagined anyone else fit for the roll. Shame he demands so much money and screws over the other actors but they're not being paid poorly either. Anything over 100k is a lot of doe to me.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
DugMachine said:
screws over the other actors
Might want to check that again.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

He's actually been fighting with Marvel to get the other actors a pay raise.

He demands the salary he does because that's how much him being in the film adds it's revenue. If it doesn't go to him, it goes to the company. Which would you prefer?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Krantos said:
DugMachine said:
screws over the other actors
Might want to check that again.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

He's actually been fighting with Marvel to get the other actors a pay raise.

He demands the salary he does because that's how much him being in the film adds it's revenue. If it doesn't go to him, it goes to the company. Which would you prefer?
I hoped someone else was going to remember WHY RDJ wanted to renegotiate his contract with Marvel. I want to know IF his co-stars have been affected by this