Robert Rath's "Critical Intel" column leaves The Escapist

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Seriously?

Fucking seriously?

When I saw the thread title I thought you were joking. Y'know, "Oh ha ha, even the columnists are leaving."

Well, shit. I really liked his stuff.

The Escapist is quite literally running out of contributers to lose.

But don't worry everyone! Liana K, that other chick whose name I've forgotten and the anti-transexual guy will save us!

Apr 5, 2008
GAAAHHH! I want to weep at this point. Lost Lisa Foiles, Lost Jim, Lost Bob, Now lost Rath. I love the Unskippable guys, Shamus and obviously Yahtzee is everyone's main reason for finding the Escapist, but I'm missing all the contributors I enjoy :-(

I even liked those Movie Physics guys that did that short lived run on physics from Hollywood films. *sigh*

I loved Robert Rath's recent piece on Sleeping Dogs and Hong Kong. I left for HK a couple of days later and am in fact in my Kowloon hotel room right now as I type this. I've also gotta remember to play Sleeping Dogs when I get back!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
"voluntarily"? That doesn't bound too well given to the current situation on this site.

Sure I only read a couple of his articles but still with several people gone and one l person in, the outlook on this site is getting worse.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
People are honestly freaking out over literally 3 people leaving/being layed off when a bunch of original content has been gone for years.
You might want to do a recount there, what with the four writers/members of staff who also recently left or were fired, and with Gav "Miracle of Sound" leaving.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Zhukov said:
Seriously?

Fucking seriously?

When I saw the thread title I thought you were joking. Y'know, "Oh ha ha, even the columnists are leaving."

Well, shit. I really liked his stuff.

The Escapist is quite literally running out of contributers to lose.

But don't worry everyone! Liana K, that other chick whose name I've forgotten and the anti-transexual guy will save us!
I had trouble understanding what he meant by that tweet. Perhaps it was poorly written. If he is a bigot that is truly a shame but I am looking forward to the new content all the same.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
honest question...does anyone else suspect the recent exodus of site producers (sans jim..but even then) was "politically" motivated? that escapist is taking a more...shall we say "GG friendly" stance?
I think that given their buyout then subsequent merger last year, the reality is that it's motivated solely on the grounds of reducing costs.

Pretty much all content creators are employed on an ad-hoc freelance basis, getting rid of them is as easy as refusing to pay more than half their current rate from now on. Given how extremely rapidly all these people are leaving and how abrupt everyone seems to be I'd assume that's the situation.

Anyway, yet another sad loss for the escapist, I've read loads of critical intels over the last couple of years.

Begs the serious question, who next and when.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Mr Rath was an elegant journalist for a more civilized age. Unlike some of the dead weight the Escapist has thrown overboard, he will be sorely missed, at least by me.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
The Escapist is almost dead to me now:

Lisa Foiles: gone
Extra Credits: left and did their thing
Robert Rath: gone
Miracle of Sound: gone
MovieBob's comic/movie reviews: gone (or at least, gone to patreon)
Susan Arendt, Greg Tito, Paul Goodman, etc, etc (e.g. most of the staff that I liked): gone
Shamus Young: not gone yet, but it might just be a few weeks before that happens

So, I'm only here for Yahtzee's things/Feed Dump/Unskippable

The news now seem like random aggregators, it's been more than a week since something caught my eye that I hadn't read somewhere else already (with a better write-up). Reviews have been tanking in quality and diversity for a looooooong time. No more freelance articles about anything at all.

Forums are far away from the joyous, creative place the were when I first came to this site.

Yep. Escapist on life support, and erased from my bookmarks. I'll just come by one day a week and catch up on those four things I like that are still here. Sad to see this happen.