Robin Williams' Daughter Leaves Twitter Following Online Abuse

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Urgh. Those disgusting creeps deserve all the wrath the Internet can muster. This is sick.
My condolences and best wishes to Zelda.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Stay classy, people. And we thought the internet would make us smarter.
I have no doubt that there were far more people giving their best wishes and prayers to her than people being pieces of shit. Sadly its always the horrible psychotic minority that draw the attention. I for one think twitter is the worst possible and most bizarre way the internet is used to communicate. It reduces complex ideas to 140 characters as well as giving the people that have the least meaningful things to say as much screen realestate as everyone else. I hope Zelda and her family can forget about those terrible people and remember only the well wishers.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Suspend their Twitter accounts, that'll teach 'em.

Why would anyone even do this? What the actual fuck did Zelda Williams ever do to those cunts?

I hope she and the rest of her family can find some god damn peace.

And in light of the recent statement from Robin's wife this just makes it even sadder.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Consider me disgusted but not surprised. I'm certainly not about to say this type of behavior is acceptable but I think we all knew someone out there who was deprived of their childhood would consider kicking this girl when she was down to be the height of entertainment.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
I know that the internet is full of assholes. But this is just plain evil. I mean even the chans are calling the idiots who did this out.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
MrMan999 said:
I know that the internet is full of assholes. But this is just plain evil. I mean even the chans are calling the idiots who did this out.
How long until one of the Chans band together and discover the identities of these people? When they band together, they can get quite a bit done that's for sure.

OT: Absolutely despicable. The internet is full of assholes, that's a given, but this isn't just being an asshole. This is being downright evil. They'll have quite the bit of bad karma coming to them, that's for sure.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
That's just low, man.

And posting threatening messages on Twitter is one thing, but to have it retweeted 21 times (not much I know, but still)? What sick person does that?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Are you fucking serious? What kind of person does this? What does it take to compel someone to tell a mourning daughter "Hey, his death is YOUR fault!" There has to be more than just a weak ass suspension involved here. Twitter, rise up and do something epic. What these people did is just putrid

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
s_h_a_d_o said:
BlameTheWizards said:
Both accounts have since been suspended by Twitter...
Pardon my French, but...

Fuck "suspension" - such behaviour needs to be prosecuted!
Seconded Or at least Have some track these guys down and put a spotlight on them to make em squirm. Then demand to know what they were thinking and see if they could justify their behavior.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I know this sucks and all, but has she tried to simply block the accounts from following/watching her and go on her day?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Anonymous has destroyed lives for less than this, we just have to wait and see if this is a cause that 4chan latches on to. I'm not gonna say I hope for it, or that those people deserve anything quite that severe, but anything's possible, and you'd think that people would consider that when deciding to be a huge douche to a beloved high profile individual in a public forum.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Well...humanity never fails to disappoint.

I...I just dont see whats wrong with people. Why? What is the motivation? The thought process behind something like this?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
lacktheknack said:
inb4 someone knee-jerkedly defends the abuse in a misguided attempt to preemptively protect free speech.

All my sympathies go out to Ms. Williams, and I hope these psychos don't disturb her internet presence any further.
Ditto.

"But guys - seriously! Guys! I was just *trolling*!" *insert whinging sounds and the juvenile stomping of feet in a corner*

Sadly, no fairy-tale code of conduct would solve this problem. The only way to solve the issue of harassment on social media is to more or less take away the Internet's most powerful tool, which happens to be anonymity. I don't want that. Nobody wants that. Most of us use that anonymity to skip the initial awkwardness of addressing new people or near-strangers, but too many people will pretty much openly state that they think getting a rise out of people is freaking hilarious.

If we were forced to log in as ourselves or to take to it all in the same creepy vein as Russia and start providing personal info before each connection to a Wi-Fi hot spot, we'd see a lot of that abuse fade away. I don't want that, but after seeing this, I'm starting to think that letting go of certain freedoms afforded by the Internet would be a good thing.

I have no problems sticking to the straight-and-narrow. Most people would complain, but they'd keep their protests to manageable levels. I'm pretty sure the louder types who'd be up there screeching about freedom of speech more than the norm would be those who have troll-worthy actions to keep on the down-low.

And mind you, I'm talking about the sort of trolling that should really end up with a trip to a counselor or a sensitivity training expert. Not, you know, the kind of potshots that we each have a variable ability to take from friends and family alike.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I'd just like to state for the record that the first amendment has exceptions specifically for cases like death threats, so I got no defenses. Get the cops, get some guys in white coats, get a mental health doctor, and drag these guys from their homes by force.

Throw them in a mental health institute for this. Seriously, they need to be studied.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Who? Who would do this? Both Robin Williams and his Daughter seem like really nice people, what the hell did they ever do wrong? What reasoning was behind this?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Wow. I mean, wow. And I thought I am an asshole.
Really, that's the kind of thing that makes you want to buy a nice pump-action shotty and teach people respect and tact.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Funny how quick some escapist users jump on the "anonymous-are-the-scum-of-society" bandwagon whenever a news piece about anonymous is brought up, but are perfectly fine to condone or even call them to take action in such cases.