Robin Williams' World of Warcraft Tribute Is Magical

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Robin Williams' World of Warcraft Tribute Is Magical

A touching tribute to the late actor Robin Williams has now appeared in World of Warcraft.

Less than 24 hours after the famed actor and comedian's death, a petition to create a tribute character memorializing Robin Williams in World of Warcraft had gathered over 11,000 signatures. Three possible tribute NPCs were Warlords of Draenor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136805-Blizzard-Will-Create-a-Robin-Williams-Tribute-Character] beta build. The three NPCs were a djinn, a human male, and human female, which fans speculated were homages to Aladdin's Genie, Mork, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Now, the djinn tribute has been found in-game. Named Robin, the djinn is summoned by rubbing the Ever-Burning Lamp. Once he appears, he exclaims "Infinite cosmic power!" and then shrinks, adding, "Itty bitty living space." The NPC is located on an island near Talador in the upcoming expansion.

Williams was a petition for the tribute [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96434-Robin-Williams-Hardcore-Gamer], led by Jacob Holgate, declared victory on its first day. "In less than twenty four hours we've earned eleven thousand signatures, a huge amount of traction on many gaming and new outlets, as well as assurance from Blizzard employees that our desire for a Robin Williams tribute and or NPC will be handled with great care," wrote Holgate. Blizzard Entertainment has not made an official announcement about the tribute.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/world-of-warcrafts-robin-williams-tribute-is-just-great-1630604738]

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
And this is part of the reason I still love blizzard.
Even if you don't like the game, or the direction it's headed, you have to at least acknowledge that they try and listen to their fanbase.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Ranorak said:
And this is part of the reason I still love blizzard.
Even if you don't like the game, or the direction it's headed, you have to at least acknowledge that they try and listen to their fanbase.
They haven't always been listening to the fanbase, but they really seem to have opened their eyes as of late. The extreme care taken into account with the woW character model updates, the revisitation of Draenor to get back to the meat of Warcraft, ending that auction house nonsense, and things like this? I kinda feel like they've realized that they can oblige their fanbase's wishes without being so... reactive. I'm glad this turned out to be a nice little tribute and not some kind of belated, over-worked questionable effort like the female worgens or something.

Nilanius

Apr 6, 2009
Okay let me state for the record, I hate world of warcraft, everything about it, the developer since they sold out to activision and put out the monstrocity that is mists of pandaria and cataclysm, and now warlords of draenor. Nothing will change the fact that the company has in my opinion, degenerated immensely since wrath of the lich king.

Now that being said, it is nice of them to pay tribute to Robin Williams. That does earn some respect from me, but it still pales in comparison to how I feel since mists of pandaria.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Seeing this makes me tear up a bit, I'm kind of a hardass when it comes to emotional things but this really hits my sad/happy trigger. I'm still a bit devastated by his demise, I have always respected and loved Robin Williams. This is why I love Blizz, they do little things like this, like the kid who was terminal during Burning Crusade so they gave him a legendary mount, Peep the Phoenix just because he may not have been around when Tempest Keep was released, or like the tribute to the dev who passed away during the initial building of WoW and the tomb they put in-game as a tribute to him.
People can ***** all they want about Blizz, but I'll never hold a negative opinion of them. They are great people at heart, and they do listen to their fans. Sure they make mistakes, nobody is perfect.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
I thought Robin Williams was open about who he was on WoW, last week i heard people in Fistful of Frags talking about him and saying how he was a great troll, but maybe they were lying, or were lied to.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
My first thought was that this would be even better if they used the actual voiceover from the movie, but the I remembered that Disney are douchebags and would never agree to that... :(

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
MarlaDesat said:
Williams was a hardcore gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96434-Robin-Williams-Hardcore-Gamer], who played World of Warcraft and kept his account name secret.
Just imagine learning that the quiet Warlock on your guild's raid group was Robin Williams.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
This is a great reference, cute and funny~

WhiteTigerShiro said:
MarlaDesat said:
Williams was a hardcore gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96434-Robin-Williams-Hardcore-Gamer], who played World of Warcraft and kept his account name secret.
Just imagine learning that the quiet Warlock on your guild's raid group was Robin Williams.
Quiet? The way I hear it he was a very successful trade channel and dungeon group troll.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Ylla said:
I thought Robin Williams was open about who he was on WoW, last week i heard people in Fistful of Frags talking about him and saying how he was a great troll, but maybe they were lying, or were lied to.
Open to a degree. He once admitted to playing a Dwarf Priest and named the server (Gilgamesh i think, but i am a little foggy having just awakened). While his love of the game is undisputed,I often wondered if he was being completely honest about the details, or just tossing something out in order to retain his privacy.

That being said, imagine hearing that voice come over Vent during hour 4 of a Vanilla-era MC run? I'd have died (and so would have the raid I was healing).

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Erana said:
I'm glad this turned out to be a nice little tribute and not some kind of belated, over-worked questionable effort like the female worgens or something.
Wait... What's this about female worgens? I'm curious now.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
MarlaDesat said:
Did he play a Warlock? As a warlock player since day 1 that would make me very happy to hear.

OT: This is a nice tribute. Not overdone and gets the idea across.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
VanQ said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
MarlaDesat said:
Did he play a Warlock? As a warlock player since day 1 that would make me very happy to hear.

OT: This is a nice tribute. Not overdone and gets the idea across.
I just grabbed a class at random. No idea what class he played.