RoboCop Reboot

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
First "Total Recall", now "Robocop" and I hear "Startship Troopers" is next.

"Hey Hollywood, please remake all those classic Paul Verhoeven films, without all that yucky wit and satire!" said nobody ever.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dirty Hipsters said:
So the fact that it looks terrible could be a self aware reference to how stupid these reboots are, or I could be too hopeful and it's really just nothing. Either way, "tactical black" robocop still looks terrible.
Early rumours (well before the trailer) suggested he would get several redesigns in the movie that would actually be social satire given the way we deal with tech. This sort of gives me hope that they'll do it, but I'm not gonna rush out to watch it, either. The trailer was totally meh.

In a rare defense of a remake, though, consider this Roobocop trailer:

It misses almost everything about Robocop that made it good.

I mean, maybe that doesn't mean anything in the long run, but yeah. People are being too judgmental.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
I'm going to reserve all judgement until I actually see it, since as others have said it all comes down to execution. I groaned when I found out they were remaking Evil Dead. "How could they possibly fill Bruce Campbell's shoes?" I asked myself. I saw the trailer and shook my head - another stock-standard, disappointing horror flick. But then I actually watched it, and it was fucking awesome. Quite different to Raimi's trilogy, but very well written and directed. It was different enough that it didn't feel like I was just watching the original again (like with the The Thing remake - don't even bother, just go watch Carpenter's version again) but had all these warm and fuzzy nods to the original if you were familiar enough to spot them (and weren't obtrusive and confusing if you didn't).

So yeah... wait and see. And go see the Evil Dead remake if you haven't already.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
The trailer looks pretty cool, I expect like Total Recall it will end up being an alright movie thats partially let down by its nature as a reboot.

It will likely get stuck in the world of: "IT WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I HATE IT!" or "OH MY GOD THEY CHANGED EVERYTHING I HATE IT". That's my feelings on the subject anyway.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
The trailer I saw didn't look terrible. The Black version of his armor looked dumb, but the normal silver/grey look looked pretty good.

I don't really have much else to say. There's a good chance that I won't see the movie, but I'm not refusing to see it based on some "moral objection". It would simply be lack of interest.

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
In a rare defense of a remake, though, consider this Roobocop trailer:

It misses almost everything about Robocop that made it good.

I mean, maybe that doesn't mean anything in the long run, but yeah. People are being too judgmental.
Is that the theme from terminator?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ellers07 said:
It looks better than I expected. Whether it's good remains to be seen. However, I am glad the tone and style is significantly different than the original. If you're going to reboot something, it might as well be different. It doesn't always work, like Total Recall, but if all it did was copy the original as closely as possible it's bound to fail anyway. Kind of like the remake of Psycho that came out years ago with Vince Vaughn. Now that's a movie I still ponder the existence of.
I don't mind it being different, but it looks generic Hollywood.

And maybe that's not going to be the case. But it makes little sense to just slap Robocop into "generic action movie 2013-196384730."

It's the equivalent of remaking video games as generic shooters. I can't wait until Mario is a grizzled American war veteran who uses his grit and twin machine guns to save his girlfriend from the evil BOWSER corp, fighting through the PMC's Koopa squadron.

Zen Bard said:

"Hey Hollywood, please remake all those classic Paul Verhoeven films, without all that yucky wit and satire!" said nobody ever.
But wit and satire make me think! That's never a good thing.

Jul 31, 2013
It looks like a good action movie.

It doesn't looke like a good Robocop movie.

That's all I have to say about it, I'll reserve my proper judgement untill the movie comes out.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
It looks better than I thought, to be honest. I'm going to watch thinking it's something else, like RoboPoliceman, all the while thinking "man, they really ripped off Robocop."

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zen Bard said:

But wit and satire make me think! That's never a good thing.
Hey...wait a second! You're a Hollywood Executive, aren't you?!?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zen Bard said:
Hey...wait a second! You're a Hollywood Executive, aren't you?!?!
Don't I wish! Then I could turn my fear of complicated things into big cash!

I've got this script for a new Addams Family movie. It's just like the original[footnote]"Original" could mean a lot of things here, but I mean the TV series that codified most of the franchise[/footnote], except get this: they're an average, normal family! I mean, nobody liked that whole "creepy and kooky" vibe, did they? Ick!

Oh, and howabout a Back to the Future movie about a dark, brooding teen who goes back in time to save his parents from being killed? Doc Brown will have to be changed, though. Maybe he could be played by Jim Carrey. ZANY!

Oh, and my reboot of Starship Troopers that is practically a blowjob to the Third Reich!

...What? What do you mean that's what the original book was? There was a book? Well, let's throw in a ham-fisted moral at the end. People like preachy morals, don't they?

Scentedwiind said:
Is that the theme from terminator?
Pretty sure it is. I'm also pretty sure that was the music actually used in the trailer and this wasn't an edit. It's happened before.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Ryotknife said:
hmm, At first I thought it was a Deus Ex: Human revolution movie trailer.

All that was needed was for Robocop to say "I didn't ask for this"
The parallels are all too clear to the guys at Eidos too.

I'm not a big fan of the original, but I can't help feeling cynical over these sort of reboots by this point. It's kinda sad that new ideas are less exciting to studios than quick money.

hornedcow

Jun 4, 2013
Whatever the trailer looks like, I think we can all agree it'll probably still be better than the Frank Miller sequels.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I prefer the tone of older movies so I'll probably prefer the original, but I enjoy seeing Detroit in movies so I'll go see it anyways. I really hope Detroit can become a movie-town to improve the economy, though I'd really love to see a post-apocalypse movie take advantage of the ruined buildings there.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
hornedcow said:
Whatever the trailer looks like, I think we can all agree it'll probably still be better than the Frank Miller sequels.
Hey, Robocop 2 was alright. It had the robot on robot violence that short pants wearing Dirty Hipsters junior craved. But yeah, Robocop 3 was abysmal.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
The trailer gives me the feeling that the effects will be an improvement over the original but everything else looks to be a massive step backwards. Seems more like another Total Recall than one of those rare remakes that find a way to make a better film.

Without the visor Robocop just looks like a rip off of Iron Man and when they go for the black armor he looks like some sort of Batman rip off. The only cool thing would be if they put out some sort of ED-209 toy that doesn't cost a load of money. Might watch it one slow weekend on Netflix but if they can't come up with something more compelling I can't say "I'd buy that for a dollar".

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I honestly don't think that either the trailer or the new look are all that bad. At least it's not looking like a carbon copy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
hornedcow said:
Oh great, now I've got this picture in my head of Murphy kidnapping his son, calling him retarded, and announcing himself as the Goddamn Robocop.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Zen Bard said:
and I hear "Startship Troopers" is next.
What the fuck?

Starship Troopers is basically a sci-fi joke movie like Scary Movie is a horror joke moive.

How do you remake a joke movie? Especially if they want make it all dark and serious, it just won't work.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
hornedcow said:
Oh great, now I've got this picture in my head of Murphy kidnapping his son, calling him retarded, and announcing himself as the Goddamn Robocop.
I would watch the shit out of that