Robotech Movie To The Rescue

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ccesarano said:
Macross didn't come around until 1982, so it came after Transformers.
The Diaclone transforming vehicles and Microchangers (the transforming range of the Microman toys) both launched in 1980, this is true, but it wasn't until the Valkyrie toy that launched along with Macross that the popularity of transforming toys really got started. (Diaclone responded with a new range of aircraft to cash in as well, which is where Starscream comes from. Shoji Kawamori designed them as well, and even came back to redo the "Masterpiece" 20th anniversary Starscream).

Irregaurdless, Macross's story was superior to Robotech because it was uhh... Coherent. In Robotech "protoculture" was some wierd "force" humans had when they were in love- in Macross "Protoculture" was simply the ability to be able to reproduce (the Zentradi had deep cultural divides between them and their female counterparts and were a strict military society).
The Protoculture was the race that created the Zentradi (and modified Humans to be able to breed with them). Macross 7 and Macross Zero both revolve around defusing other landmines they've left lying around the galaxy, because they were a bit careless with their science projects.

In Robotech it was an energy generating plant. Great.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
They should make it a Macross movie instead.
This. This This This This THIS. Robotech was an example of everything WRONG with localization- sorry for fans of it. I loved it too, until I discovered Macross lacked all the things that bothered me about Robotech.
I hate people that tear Robotech apart for this sort of stuff. Yes, I like Macross better as well, but without Robotech anime wouldn't have gained nearly as much ground as it had. Plus, it was one of the first cartoons to be aired "for children" that wasn't condescending to their minds. Yes, it was a bit cut up, but unlike G.I.Joe they didn't have parachutes every time a plane blew up. People died, and kids knew it. It paved the way for cartoons like Mighty Max and Beast Wars in the 90's, which tended to be more brutal than the other shows, as well as having more politics and ongoing storylines and continuity lacking in most cartoons.

I mean, really, Macross was a show for an older audience, but Carl Macek HAD to modify it because adults weren't watching cartoons then. Except maybe Simpsons, but I think even that was years later. Plus, all that protoculture stuff you are bitching about? That was an attempt to create SOMETHING to tie Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada together, because otherwise it would be...well, three different shows, and Carl Macek wanted continuity. If he DIDN'T tie those shows together, then he wouldn't have been able to bring over Macross at all, his primary goal. The studio needed a set number of episodes, and Macross wasn't enough on its own.

So, without Robotech, there is a large chance that a lot of people wouldn't even know about Macross. After all, one of the reasons Macross Plus was big was because people had known about Robotech as kids, researched it when they got older and in the anime industry, and started bringing it over because Robotech introduced it all.

No, it's not a perfect localization, but stop being an ignorant child about it. Consider the time period and the circumstances, and even if it was "a bad localization" it at least brought Macross to the shores and pushed the popularity of anime in the west up ten fold. Who knows if DBZ or Sailor Moon, other major pushes to the "genre", would have even come over without the popularity of Robotech.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ccesarano said:
So, without Robotech, there is a large chance that a lot of people wouldn't even know about Macross. After all, one of the reasons Macross Plus was big was because people had known about Robotech as kids, researched it when they got older and in the anime industry, and started bringing it over because Robotech introduced it all.
Macross is one of the biggest anime franchises in Japan, behind pretty much only Gundam. You only need to look at how Frontier dominates the DVD and Blu-Ray charts with each new release, and even managed to get both it's soundtrack albums in the mainstream album charts to see that it's a big money name.

Without Robotech there would probably be more of it available, due to it's extreme popularity (and hence profitability). Macross 7 wouldn't due to the expense of it's music licensing, but Zero and Frontier almost certainly would.

Also, as with places like England where Robotech was never on TV, there wouldn't be much change in the amount of anime available, since there would still be the massive international impact of Akira.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
ccesarano said:
Macross is one of the biggest anime franchises in Japan, behind pretty much only Gundam. You only need to look at how Frontier dominates the DVD and Blu-Ray charts with each new release, and even managed to get both it's soundtrack albums in the mainstream album charts to see that it's a big money name.

Without Robotech there would probably be more of it available, due to it's extreme popularity (and hence profitability). Macross 7 wouldn't due to the expense of it's music licensing, but Zero and Frontier almost certainly would.

Also, as with places like England where Robotech was never on TV, there wouldn't be much change in the amount of anime available, since there would still be the massive international impact of Akira.
Plus Harmony Gold is blocking Frontiers attempts to bring the newer Macross series over sea's. I'm not exactly sure what the situation is so I am hesitant to scream "OMG HARMONY GOLD DICK MOVE" though, they could be perfectly justified.

Okay, alot of chances in Robotech I can understand, but why god WHY did they completly change Rick's character from an Immature lad who grows up to an annoying F**KING pacisfist who whines about F**KING killing people then turns into a hardened alien slaying bastard? And then they hammer the goddamned pacifism issue the WHOLE series.

They also curtailed the more thought provoking aspects of Roy Fokkers character- in Robotech he's just a sort of dashing air jock, in Macross the man has clear mental problems from years of warfare. He gets drunk before flying, he's a womanizer, and he clearly doesn't care about his own safety. This is why he dies eventually, he gets hit with Shrapnel, KNOWS he's hit, says f**k it and goes to hang out with his girlfreind and bleeds out when the metal digs into vital organs. All over Pinapple Salad.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
If they're a moving in on Robotech, I really hope that doesn't mean Gundam is next. Robotech and Gundam are both mecha shows, but they are much larger than the genre of mecha anime to be honest. They both focus heavily on the cruelties of war and how it effects so many people. Somehow I doubt this movie will touch on any of this and just focus on sfx fight scenes, but I hope I'm wrong.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
KSarty said:
If they're a moving in on Robotech, I really hope that doesn't mean Gundam is next. Robotech and Gundam are both mecha shows, but they are much larger than the genre of mecha anime to be honest. They both focus heavily on the cruelties of war and how it effects so many people. Somehow I doubt this movie will touch on any of this and just focus on sfx fight scenes, but I hope I'm wrong.
There's already been a Gundam SEED (Destiny?) movie announced, hasn't there? And though my Gundam knowledge falls short somewhat on the topic of much further back from Wing, I do know that they made Wing: Endless Waltz as a Gundam film.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Yeah, there have been several Gundam movies but those were made by the same people that made the anime, and they were still animated. This Robotech one is going to be live action and made in Hollywood. There has already been a live action Gundam movie that bombed really bad, I hope they leave it at that.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
At least as far as I've always been told, Macross and Robotech are the same, in the way that Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise are all the same are all. Same universe, same basic storyline, different events/characters/focus. Could be wrong, but that's how I've always thought it was.
no they are different

macross is part of the robotech story, it's the first 36 episodes, there are 2 other series in there too, they are the 2nd and 3rd seasons

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
At least as far as I've always been told, Macross and Robotech are the same, in the way that Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise are all the same are all. Same universe, same basic storyline, different events/characters/focus. Could be wrong, but that's how I've always thought it was.
Robotech is made of three series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospaeda. In Japan, the series are completely unrelated. (The "Super Dimension" shows aren't linked either, it was a set of three mecha shows, funded by the same people but made by different studios, shortly after the original MS Gundam in order to cash in on the wave of public interest in mecha shows. The other was Super Dimension Century Orguss 01.)

The fact that everyone associates Robotech with Macross and not the other two shows really shows up what the impact of the show was. You don't see a new Southern Cross series every five years like clockwork.

Okay, alot of chances in Robotech I can understand, but why god WHY did they completly change Rick's character from an Immature lad who grows up to an annoying F**KING pacisfist who whines about F**KING killing people then turns into a hardened alien slaying bastard? And then they hammer the goddamned pacifism issue the WHOLE series.
Ironically, this is why everyone hates Nekki Basara. (Also, he's a cock, which doesn't help). But at least he can rock out like a ************. (seriously, he can rock so hard it gives alien vampires orgasms).

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Ironically, this is why everyone hates Nekki Basara. (Also, he's a cock, which doesn't help). But at least he can rock out like a ************. (seriously, he can rock so hard it gives alien vampires orgasms).
Not only that, he can rock so hard he causes avalanches and snowstorms. Yeah, i've seen his guitar battle with Miria Genius. Now that bit about the 2nd and 3rd seasons being completly different shows I didn't know. I thought they were all Macross, just different shows.

There have been plenty of Gundam/Macross/ETC movies, but they've all been animated. Live action sounds...iffy to me. The closest it's come is Macross Zero, which was almost inteirly CGI (the veritechs anyway)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Not only that, he can rock so hard he causes avalanches and snowstorms. Yeah, i've seen his guitar battle with Miria Genius. Now that bit about the 2nd and 3rd seasons being completly different shows I didn't know. I thought they were all Macross, just different shows.
Also, Gigile rocked out so hard he blew up a planet. Admittedly, he was a giant space monster at the time.

And yeah, the Macross shows are SDF Macross, Macross: Do You Remember Love (movie version of the original series, has some new songs, including the titular Do You Remember, Love?, possibly the best anime song of all time), Macross Flashback 2012 (an animated music concert), Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Dynamite 7, Macross Zero, and Macross Frontier.

There's a Macross Frontier movie coming out next year.

Even Macross II isn't technically part of Macross. (it was a cash in made without any input from the original creator, it's officially recognised as a parallel universe to the "real" Macross shows though.)

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I have to say I'm kind of angry at this idea. Watching Robotech as a kid is one of the things that inspired me to want to make movies. I wanted to make the Robotech movie!
Apart from my petty complaint I bet it'll be good. There's a distinct lack of giant robot fighting in American cinema.