Robotics Firm Builds Pirate-Watching, Boat-Climbing Spybot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Robotics Firm Builds Pirate-Watching, Boat-Climbing Spybot

Pirates beware, because this new robot can sneak up on you and watch you while you sleep.

Pirates - the kind who steal ships that is, not the kind who steal software - may soon be getting a little more attention than they want, thanks to ReconRobotics latest invention: a tiny robot that can climb up the side of the pirates' boats and send video back to the authorities.

The spybot, which is still in development, is based on the "Recon Scout [http://www.reconrobotics.com/products/specifications.cfm]" throwbot, a rugged, barbell-sized robot designed to be thrown into difficult or dangerous terrain and scout the area out. The spybot can be fired from a cannon at a pirate ship, whereupon its magnetic wheels will stick to the ship's steel hull, allowing the robot to sneak aboard. The spybot is also equipped with an infrared camera, which allows it to see in complete darkness. Alan Bignall, president and CEO of ReconRobotics, said that the spybot would help protect the lives of naval personnel and anyone tackling pirates. He also foresaw a future where the platform might be adapted to other uses with different payloads and sensors.

It's not hard to think of other applications where a small, camera-equipped robot that can be deployed at a distance might come in handy. Firefighters could use them to scout burning buildings, or soldiers could use them to make sure that an area is safe before they enter it. There are also plenty of non-military/rescue applications, for example, security cameras that can follow people around. On the ceiling. In the dark. Ok, I'm a little creeped out now.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/anti-piracy-rob.php]

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Why waste the money on this? The Russian Navy is already dealing with them in the most cost effective and safest manner they can. Once a ship is confirmed to be a pirate ship, they open fire. How much is this robot going to cost? I'm fairly sure its more expensive than a few hundred machine gun rounds.

Feb 13, 2008
Mentlegen?
So, you're firing a robot spy at a pirate ship from a cannon?

I believe someone was partaking in intoxicants when this was thought up.

However, despite it's good uses...you know it's going to end up in Will/Kate's room, Lady Gaga's dressing room etc.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Antari said:
Why waste the money on this? The Russian Navy is already dealing with them in the most cost effective and safest manner they can. Once a ship is confirmed to be a pirate ship, they open fire. How much is this robot going to cost? I'm fairly sure its more expensive than a few hundred machine gun rounds.
Because that doesnt work so well when the pirates have hostages...

tovansky

Jan 29, 2011
and then in the near future we can equip it with deadly toxin needle for assassination mission.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Daemascus said:
Antari said:
There are some parts of life that are dangerous. When you get captured by pirates, thats one of them. Instead of wasting all this money on useless toys, they should be more concerned about making it absolutely lethal to be a pirate in today's waters. If you can garentee your going to get killed if you go out and try to capture a ship at sea, your probably not going to do it. Or atleast look for something a little easier or safer to do.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Antari said:
Daemascus said:
Antari said:
There are some parts of life that are dangerous. When you get captured by pirates, thats one of them. Instead of wasting all this money on useless toys, they should be more concerned about making it absolutely lethal to be a pirate in today's waters. If you can garentee your going to get killed if you go out and try to capture a ship at sea, your probably not going to do it. Or atleast look for something a little easier or safer to do.
So you are saying if somebody is taken hostage by a pirate, it's their fault, and they just die along with the pirates because they had the misfortune to be there at the time?

What if they don't want to damage the boat that has been taken over? This just presents a good way to scout out the ship before boarding it. It could save lives. Seems pretty sensible to me.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Antari said:
More than likely used in situations where there are hostages on board and opening fire would kill said hostages. Then again if they did open fire enough people wouldn't be too keen on keeping hostages around.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Wait, there's actually something called a "throwbot?"
lol

They should call this thing Spybot Search & Destroy
xD

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
Daemascus said:
Antari said:
So you are saying if somebody is taken hostage by a pirate, it's their fault, and they just die along with the pirates because they had the misfortune to be there at the time?

What if they don't want to damage the boat that has been taken over? This just presents a good way to scout out the ship before boarding it. It could save lives. Seems pretty sensible to me.
Ya a few hostages are going to bite the big one ... but the pirates will get the message in time. And yes, if your dumb enough to pleasure cruise within 200 miles of Somalia with your American Registered sail-boat. You deserve your fate. As for large commercial vessels, they have safe rooms for the crew to hide in, hell it wouldn't be all that difficult to arm them. Its a problem that shouldn't even exist, and wouldn't if political correctness wasn't in full swing. The Russian's kill the pirates, we capture them, bring them back for a nice expensive court trial, feed and cloth them during that time. And either continue to cloth and feed them in a nice jail. Or we deport them, and they do it again. Personally I like the Russian plan better, even if a few hostages die.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
Daemascus said:
Antari said:

Ya a few hostages are going to bite the big one ... but the pirates will get the message in time. And yes, if your dumb enough to pleasure cruise within 200 miles of Somalia with your American Registered sail-boat. You deserve your fate. As for large commercial vessels, they have safe rooms for the crew to hide in, hell it wouldn't be all that difficult to arm them. Its a problem that shouldn't even exist, and wouldn't if political correctness wasn't in full swing. The Russian's kill the pirates, we capture them, bring them back for a nice expensive court trial, feed and cloth them during that time. And either continue to cloth and feed them in a nice jail. Or we deport them, and they do it again. Personally I like the Russian plan better, even if a few hostages die.
I'd argue if you were the hostage you'd probably disagree. Surely it's the law enforcement agency to protect people's lives, and make them safe?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
Daemascus said:
Antari said:

I'd argue if you were the hostage you'd probably disagree. Surely it's the law enforcement agency to protect people's lives, and make them safe?
Nah in the cases this has specific reference to. The people being captured within the first few months of this sort of thing happening, could fein ignorance, and I'd mourn the loss. 2 years after the fact of numerous ships being siezed or harrassed ... no ... Thats just stupidity. Its like saying back during the Iraq war, "Hey, I think it'd be a nice time to take a vacation to Baghdad!" If you don't work for CNN, your just downright crazy. And even if your there for CNN, your still a bit nuts, but atleast your getting paid for it.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Nah in the cases this has specific reference to. The people being captured within the first few months of this sort of thing happening, could fein ignorance, and I'd mourn the loss. 2 years after the fact of numerous ships being siezed or harrassed ... no ... Thats just stupidity. Its like saying back during the Iraq war, "Hey, I think it'd be a nice time to take a vacation to Baghdad!" If you don't work for CNN, your just downright crazy. And even if your there for CNN, your still a bit nuts, but atleast your getting paid for it.
Fair enough, I suppose going into a dangerous area is sort of your own fault, but I wouldn't say that you then DESERVE to die. Granted it's your fault, but I wouldn't say just leave them to their fate.

I just think this device is pretty neat for surveying a ship before seizing it without having to put anyone's life in danger. But each to his own I suppose.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Aside from all the hostage arguments.... aren't the pirates pretty poor?. The last documentary I saw had them in wooden boats also what are the cannons made of?

It seems more likely that this idea would stick to the coastguard's boat and then when released fall into the water.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
snip.
Fair enough, I suppose going into a dangerous area is sort of your own fault, but I wouldn't say that you then DESERVE to die. Granted it's your fault, but I wouldn't say just leave them to their fate.

I just think this device is pretty neat for surveying a ship before seizing it without having to put anyone's life in danger. But each to his own I suppose.
Thats why my intial position is, its a waste of money. Bullets are cheaper, and alot quicker at handling this sort of situation.

Edit* And I think I honestly would like to take my chances at being shot at by a well trained special forces unit or ship cannon, rather than waiting for weeks on end while a little robot plays peek-a-boo along the ship's hull.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
Antari said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
snip.

Thats why my intial position is, its a waste of money. Bullets are cheaper, and alot quicker at handling this sort of situation.

Edit* And I think I honestly would like to take my chances at being shot at by a well trained special forces unit or ship cannon, rather than waiting for weeks on end while a little robot plays peek-a-boo along the ship's hull.
Okay... but after this is properly developed and dirt cheap to make its gonna cost a little more to save a lot more lives (and possibly a boat - i dunno how much firepower them there russians like to use) I think the cost is worth it. How much do you value a life? Or your own life?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
for example, security cameras that can follow people around. On the ceiling. In the dark. Ok, I'm a little creeped out now.
Someone needs to make a demotivational of this, just because.

Ceiling spybot is watching you...