Robots Duel to the Death with Lightsabers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Robots Duel to the Death with Lightsabers

They're not the fastest fighters in the world, but these robots are surprisingly graceful.

A pair of industrial robots have been given time off from their usual jobs and have been put to work as lightsaber duellists at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation in Shanghai.

The two robots - which were presumably designed for something slightly less exciting than sword-fighting - aren't the quickest combatants in the world, but it's still fun to watch them battle it out, complete with parries, ripostes and some fancy footwork. Well, as fancy as footwork gets when you don't actually have any feet and you're bolted to the floor.

It's not hard to imagine a suped-up version of these robots being put to task as a lightsaber training droid; after all, remotes are cool, but they can't swing a sword. The only problem with this is that I'm pretty sure this is how General Grievous [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqKvKUTElA] got started.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/05/watch-two-real-world-robo.php]

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Great, now we're training them to fight? It's almost like the human race is self-destructive :p

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
HankMan said:
They fight better than General Grievous, i'll give 'em that.
Hey failing your arms randomly is a perfectly legit and sound strategy to win a fight.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Rednog said:
HankMan said:
They fight better than General Grievous, i'll give 'em that.
Hey failing your arms randomly is a perfectly legit and sound strategy to win a fight.
Not to mention just ordering all your droids to gun down Kenobi from the get-go is just so logical and efficient...and we can't have that in the prequels, now can we?

OT: pretty awesome duel there, though any decent fencer would tell you it's better to use small, focused movements while maintaining point control, particularly if you're using a blade that can burn through (almost) anything.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I love how the Japanese public don't give a damn about this. instead they focus on the Yaskawa.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can easily foreseen people will edit that clip with the Star Wars soundtrack and the lightsaber effect just like they did with the Star Wars kid.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Pretty awesome. So were they being remote-controlled, or were they pre-programmed, or what?

Someone really needs to dub over this with dramatic Star Wars music & sound effects.

Thrust said:
I love how the Japanese public don't give a damn about this. instead they focus on the Yaskawa.
Well, to be fair, fighting robots is pretty standard fare in Japan.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Damn, that looked cool.
At first i though they were going to fight like, REALLY slowly, but thankfully they started moving faster and doing cooler things. And the Japanese didn't even look the fight...

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
Thrust said:
I thought the conference was in shanghai
Logan Westbrook said:
A pair of industrial robots have been given time off from their usual jobs and have been put to work as lightsaber duellists at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation in Shanghai.

NightRavenGSA

Apr 12, 2011
Just to clarify, General Grievous was a cyborg, he started of as a Kaleesh by the name of Qymaen jai Sheelal (later changing his name to Grievous), and was technologically reconstructed by the InterGalactic Banking Clan, after the Chairman IGBC, San Hill planted a bomb on Grievous's shuttle, thus becoming the "droid" general

(I know, I'm a nerd)