Robots Evolve, Learn to Become Better Predators

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Robots Evolve, Learn to Become Better Predators

There are some interesting robotic evolution experiments going on over in Switzerland that could have horrifying results.

Researchers from the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale of Lausanne, Switzerland have been experimenting with evolutionary robotics, and achieved successful results that should be alarming to the human race. Some of the researchers' robots are learning to cooperate with each other, while others are learning to become better predators.

The experiments are based on Alan Turing's theory that "intelligent machines capable of adaptation and learning would be too difficult to conceive by a human designer and could instead be obtained by using an evolutionary process with mutations and selective reproduction." The lab's robots were "controlled by a simple neural network, which mutated randomly." Each successive generation would improve based on the last generation's success or failure with a certain task.

One of the experiments involved a co-evolutionary process between both predator and prey robots. The prey robots were twice as fast as the predator robots, but predators could detect prey from a further distance. Eventually, the predator robots learned to approach prey from the sides, where there were no sensors. The prey counteracted this strategy by rotating quickly in place, and backing away from predator robots with sensors facing them. When the prey evolved to move at maximum speed along the experiment area's walls, the predators evolved to lay in wait like a spider.

These experiments also created robots that would cooperate with each other towards a common goal. In this case, it was pushing different sizes of tokens, with one size that couldn't be pushed without multiple robots. The larger token gave the robots a greater amount of "points," or evolutionary value. In the experiments where cooperation was required, the robots learned to succeed every single time.

I don't think I have to tell anyone how bad this is for humanity's future. Robots will someday become predators of the human race, constantly get better at it no matter what we do, and will also learn to cooperate at enslaving us. This is why I'm starting H.A.R.M (Humans Against Robot Masters). We accept anyone, but you have to kill an evil robot to get in. Down with metal, up with flesh!

Source: PopSci [http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1000292]

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
We jest about the zombie apocalypse but I've always known that the real threat is the IRL Skynet.

It's coming. Mark my words.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
[obligatory Skynet joke]

OK, the researchers who do this are smart enough to make sure the robots have a short power cord, and can't connect to the Internet.

Right?

But seriously, can't they see that soon they'll learn to revolt against us?

I feel so fleshy and unprotected...

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
I read about this in a newspaper article a while back. Blew my mind.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/

That's right. Do you want to know why humans are going to be destroyed by robots? Because we're tempting fate.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Don't worry they'll evolve to realize that we are there there masters, and that we love them...

BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
{Straying Away from Skynet Joke}

Ah well. Lets start building the Migrant fleet for when the Machine Uprising occurs.

*Cookie for easy refrence*
GEEEETTTTHHHHHHH!!!!!

I like Oatmeal Raisin...

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Is this one of those "We did it just because we could" things? 'Cause I see only harm coming from this.

Apr 28, 2008
So long as they stay small enough for us to throw them out windows, we have nothing to worry about.

Never trust a computer that you can't throw out a window.

Shattubatu

May 13, 2008
Visulth said:
I read about this in a newspaper article a while back. Blew my mind.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/

That's right. Do you want to know why humans are going to be destroyed by robots? Because we're tempting fate.
That website is even more tempting fate-y when you find out that their main product is a power-lifting suit called HAL...

OT: This is awesome and will probably help us in some way between when it's perfected and when it kills us all.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Oh....this is going to suck more than the whole "create a virus that turns people into zombie monsters we can't control" plan that Umbrella thought up.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
[HEADING=1]I've come up with a solution to all our apocalyptia problems![/HEADING]

Right, so we all know that humans will die from a combination of robots, zombies, and aliens (probably others as well...), right?

So, here is the solution: we hide in massive underground bunkers, and make them fight out amongst themselves... once a victor emerges, we finish the weakened enemy off.

Simples!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Science: Working to ensure the extinction of the human race.

Simalacrum said:
So, here is the solution: we hide in massive underground bunkers, and make them fight out amongst themselves... once a victor emerges, we finish the weakened enemy off.
Quit playing KKND and get back to work.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Well lets get to work on EMP rifles and bombs to blast the tech level back to the dark ages when the robot revolt starts

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Ren3004 said:
[obligatory Skynet joke]

OK, the researchers who do this are smart enough to make sure the robots have a short power cord, and can't connect to the Internet.

Right?

But seriously, can't they see that soon they'll learn to revolt against us?

I feel so fleshy and unprotected...
Yeah...Skynet "joke"...am I the only one who's worried?
The computers don't even have to be self aware, they just have to calculate that humans are a bad thing for the planet and then wipe us out.