Rock Band to Guitar Hero: Thanks for the Memories

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rock Band to Guitar Hero: Thanks for the Memories

Harmonix issued a statement in response to the collapse of its greatest competitor in the music genre, offering heartfelt condolences to those who've lost jobs.

Usually, when a competitor stumbles or in this case completely falls apart, the company left behind has cause for celebration. Given the Activision has shuttered its Guitar Hero division [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107593-Harmonix-Layoffs-Confirmed], wishing those now unemployed good luck, while making sure to point out that Rock Band is still going strong. Oh and by the way, Guitar Hero controllers work with Rock Band. Hint, hint.

"We were sad to hear yesterday that Activision was discontinuing development on Guitar Hero. Our thoughts are with those who are losing their jobs, and we wish them the best of luck," the statement read. "The discontinuation of Guitar Hero is discouraging news for fans of the band game genre."

Drake then touted the features of Rock Band, perhaps hoping to woo previous Guitar Hero loyalists to his banner. "The beat of Rock Band marches on. We're continuing to invest in the franchise and the brand that we have built, and will do our best to serve all loyal band game fans," Drake wrote. "Rock Band 3 software is compatible with a wide range of instruments, including most Guitar Hero controllers. Looking to the future, for fans that want to switch, we'd happily welcome you over into the world of Rock Band."

The statement signed off with a tip of the cap to all of the people who made the music genre the success that it was. "It's been a wild battle of the bands since 2007, but we respect and appreciate all of the hard work and innovation of our peers who have shared the music gaming space with us, and we look forward to rocking in the future."

You know, with the franchise that's still out there.

Source: Rock Band forums [http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215254&p=4293449#post4293449]

Sniper430

The Choose
Sep 2, 2009
http://psuedofolio.tumblr.com/post/3212535311

Found this online, It's a shame to see a franchise go down, even one thats been around way too long. :/

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
I remember watching someone playing Guitar Hero at Wal-Mart and it blew my dad and I's mind. We are both avid gamers, and we both agreed that this was the future.

Thanks for the games, and what a great franchise.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I think Harmonix might be overly optimistic here. Rock Band 3 failed just as hard as Warriors of Rock. Guitar Hero 2 is still the best.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I think I have guitar hero 2 and 3. (GH2 for the PS2 and GH3 for the 360) Frankly I never saw a reason to continue buying new versions of the game other than having access to more music to play.

Meh, sad to see the GH series drift off into the void of gaming history but that's how fads work out. I suspect we'll see Rock Band meet the same fate in due time.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
sucks for the employees, activision is to blame for it and in a couple of years Call of duty might go the same way. few games deserve a year by year release, its only sports games that do it because so much changes between seasons.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Dear unemployed Guitar Hero Employees,

Go to Harmonix. Seriously, who cares if the Manager of Communications touted. That's his job. But if you get to Harmonix now, you will A)Have a job, B)Have a job doin something you're familiar/good at and C)sned a big "Fuck YOU!" to Activision.

And honestly who doesn't like doing that? Not the guys behind Respawn Entertainment, for one.

Edit: Ok so apparently Harmonix isn't doing too well either. I didn't know that. So take this^^ as a joke.
I mean who doesn't like make jokes about sending Fuck you messages to....well, you get the point.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
sunburst313 said:
I think Harmonix might be overly optimistic here. Rock Band 3 failed just as hard as Warriors of Rock. Guitar Hero 2 is still the best.
Im not sure if this was everywhere, but I fully intended to buy RB3. Its just that it flew COMPLETELY under my radar. I talked to my mates who were also going to get it, and one of them asked me when it was out.

It'd been out for a month and none of us had known.

If this was the same everywhere, maybe Harmonix were counting on the hype for publicise itself. Sadly, it didn't seem to work here, since literally no one knew.

Also, I was disappointed with the keyboard peripheral. I hoped for at least four octaves, but, alas, it was not to be...

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:

Go to Harmonix. Seriously, who cares if the Manager of Communications touted. That's his job. But if you get to Harmonix now, you will A)Have a job, B)Have a job doin something you're familiar/good at and C)sned a big "Fuck YOU!" to Activision.

And honestly who doesn't like doing that? Not the guys behind Respawn Entertainment, for one.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32880/Staff_Cuts_Hit_Harmonix.php

Harmonix isn't doing so hot, I've had to deal with them on some projects and they still seem to think they're on the same high horse they were on a while back.

hansari

May 31, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:

Go to Harmonix.
Harmonix is laying off its own employees! They couldn't hire any of the talent at RedOctane even if they wanted to...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I just keep finding another reason to love these guys.

Harmonix, we get it. You're tits-on-toast beautiful and a boon to humankind. We knew that already, so you have to know there's nothing to prove, now. Yet here you are shaking the hand of the dead emperor's litter bearers.

I'm going through the rest of this day with a stupid grin on my face and hope for humanity. "Kudos" just can't even approach coming close to what these guys really deserve.

Feb 9, 2011
It's sad to see Harmonix go. I have most of the Guitar Hero games for my Nintendo Wii, but haven't played in a while. I think I will queue up a song or two in Hamonix's honor. Thanks for all the marathons of great music and all the memories. Rock on, Harmonix!

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
It's sad to see Harmonix go. I have most of the Guitar Hero games for my Nintendo Wii, but haven't played in a while. I think I will queue up a song or two in Hamonix's honor. Thanks for all the marathons of great music and all the memories. Rock on, Harmonix!
You mean RedOctane/Neversoft, right? Harmonix isn't doing to good either, but they are still going. The only GH games that Harmonix made were 1 and 2. All the others were RedOctane/Neversoft.

Well, I made the switch to Rock Band a while ago, but I my GH:WT guitar is still going strong. I'll continue using it in memory of what once was (and because it's my only one).

Feb 9, 2011
chromewarriorXIII said:
You mean RedOctane/Neversoft, right? Harmonix isn't doing to good either, but they are still going. The only GH games that Harmonix made were 1 and 2. All the others were RedOctane/Neversoft.
Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification. =^_^=

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Well, I can't say I'm surprised, you can only make so many bad Guitar Hero games before someone decides that thy can save money by getting rid of you. I don't know about RB3 or GH:WoR but in a comparasin of Rockband 2 against World Tour, Van Halen, etc. Rockband 2 wrecks them in quality.