Rock, Paper, Shotgun holds no punches on Peter Molyneux interview. (Update)

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The Bucket said:
I dont really get how that's relevant. Sure, people have a tenuous legal right to recourse in this situation, I don't think anyone's denying that. But people dont have to just shrug and tell Peter that they're thankful he did his best with their money, they totally have the right to be angry at them for their broken promises.
But what broken promises? The interviewer was obsessed with giving those that pledged a refund, and asking if he saw a difference between overrunning the timeframe for a publisher compared to other fans (the truth is, of course, that there's no difference).

The lies that the article addressed were all about the "rights" of the people that spent money on Kickstarter. The truth is, as I laid out, that they don't really have any rights, except to get their rewards when they are completed.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
erttheking said:
Gonna have to echo people and saying that you can't really start an interview with "are you a pathological liar."

You just freaking can't. If there's one thing I've learned over the past few months, it's that you can't just blurt out whatever the hell you want to say in an interview just because people want to hear it.
Exactly my point.
Yes, you can easily make this kind of terrible questions to the others, however don't expect in the future to have other similar interviews, because they will know what kind of person you are.
Also I know most of the people who want to hear the "obvious truth", must not expect to hear it from the one who are in fault.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Molyneux: "One is, John, you?re becoming very emotional, I think firstly you need to take a breath..."

RPS: [Laughs]

This is like a tabloid. Or Bill O'Reilly at best.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Molyneux was a champ for sticking this one out.

It's basically an entire interview of him explaining how the economics of kickstarter works and how budgeting is fickle.

I've got more respect for him after this interview. Someone put Molyneux in the room with a shark and we had to watch him struggle against that shark until it was over. Distasteful but it had the opposite effect of its clear intent and has made me view Molyneux in a favorable light.

I do like for the hard questions to be asked. But this was repetitive and basically insulting rather than informative.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Verlander said:
The Bucket said:
I dont really get how that's relevant. Sure, people have a tenuous legal right to recourse in this situation, I don't think anyone's denying that. But people dont have to just shrug and tell Peter that they're thankful he did his best with their money, they totally have the right to be angry at them for their broken promises.
But what broken promises? The interviewer was obsessed with giving those that pledged a refund, and asking if he saw a difference between overrunning the timeframe for a publisher compared to other fans (the truth is, of course, that there's no difference).

The lies that the article addressed were all about the "rights" of the people that spent money on Kickstarter. The truth is, as I laid out, that they don't really have any rights, except to get their rewards when they are completed.
The promise to do the game without a publisher. The promise to have the game out reasonably on time, which has now spiraled well over the date with no finish in sight. The promise to have the physical rewards like the art book out to backers. And the big question mark over how many of the promised features will actually be implemented. You keep talking about rights as if people are planning a class action lawsuit against 22cans when it's not that at all, this is a moral issue.

I'll say again that I wish the interview hadn't been so rough at some points, you can be hard and not act so unprofessional at parts though.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
From the interview:

RPS: That?s great but there?s lots of things you say in Kickstarter that you haven?t done. Do you think in two and a half years?

Peter Molyneux: Yet! Yet. That we haven?t done yet. There is one Kickstarter promise that I am very worried about but all the rest are going to get done.

RPS: Which is Linux. You made it a stretch goal; that was pretty shitty of you, wasn?t it, when you know you couldn?t do it?

Wow, just wow. He is clearly a professional reviewer indeed. I wish I could speak to the others people like that and expect in the future to respect me as I did to them.
Call them liars, shitty, and if I continue reading, I am very sure I would find other delightful characteristics.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The Bucket said:
The promise to do the game without a publisher. The promise to have the game out reasonably on time, which has now spiraled well over the date with no finish in sight. The promise to have the physical rewards like the art book out to backers. And the big question mark over how many of the promised features will actually be implemented. You keep talking about rights as if people are planning a class action lawsuit against 22cans when it's not that at all, this is a moral issue.

I'll say again that I wish the interview hadn't been so rough at some points, you can be hard and not act so unprofessional at parts though.
It amounts to poor communication, nothing more really. There's only a publisher for the mobile version of the game, and that was put in place so that he didn't need to ask for more money. Games are released when they're released - he can say "I hope to have it out in 7 months", but if it's not done, it's not done. The art book can't be completed until the game is completed.

It's still a fundamental misunderstanding of Kickstarter and other pledge systems. The creators on Kickstarter tell you what they aim to do - not what will definitely happen. That's impossible. So, if someone thinks he's lying, then clearly they haven't got the gist of how this works. On Kickstarter, all products have "estimated delivery time" written on them. Estimated. Just one of many clear ways in which KS lets you know that nothing is set in stone.

Is PM overly ambitious and a bit too optimistic? Definitely. He's certainly shown that he's incapable of determining a timescale. Doesn't really mark him out as a pathological liar though, and with the questions that RPS fielded at him, I'd say it's less a problem with him, and more a problem with them understanding the system.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Lightknight said:

It's basically an entire interview of him explaining how the economics of kickstarter works and how budgeting is fickle.

I've got more respect for him after this interview. Someone put Molyneux in the room with a shark and we had to watch him struggle against that shark until it was over. Distasteful but it had the opposite effect of its clear intent and has made me view Molyneux in a favorable light.

I do like for the hard questions to be asked. But this was repetitive and basically insulting rather than informative.

As i said, If I was him, I would just said to stop the interview and then the shark would had suck his own salty b**ls.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Lovely Mixture said:
It's a piece of trash being interviewed by piece of trash

Ok, they bashed on Molyneux for going back on promises and failing to meet expectations despite receiving enough money:

Why weren't they hard on Tim Schaefer?
Why not on the Yogscast controversy?
Why not even mention Grace Lynn, or Anita Sarkeesian? They've failed to deliver on their projects. Why not Brianna Wu? She bought a motorcycle with her patreon money. Hell throw, in Phil Fish and Zoe Quinn.
Probably because this is the umpteenth time Molyneux has done this.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
That first question just totally ruined the entire thing. "Do you think that you?re a pathological liar?" Really? "Could you have done more to waste it?" A tone like that and leading questions are marks of a terrible interview. Saying that he doesn't have an agenda with the interview is an obvious lie.

It's one thing to bluntly ask the tough questions, and another entirely to be this overtly hostile.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
SweetShark said:
Lightknight said:

As i said, If I was him, I would just said to stop the interview and then the shark would had suck his own salty b**ls.
I've just got to say that I love having this conversation with you given your username and avatar. Really spruces up my day.

I'd say that him sticking with it really hasn't had any negative effect on him besides what I'm sure was a terrible time having the interview. If anything, this has bred pity for the guy who, short of failing on delivering promises, has made enjoyable games.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
SweetShark said:
Savagezion said:
SweetShark said:
I just started reading the interview and I must say the first question was VERY unprofessional...

I disagree, opening with such an aggressive question can be a tactic used to catch the person off guard from the start. First impressions and all that. It put Peter on the defensive, which is where he should be for the upcoming questions that are aimed bringing up past promises he failed to deliver on and his reputation for doing so. I would even say the interviewer did him a favor by opening with that question instead of acting casual and then "shooting" a question similar to that at him out of nowhere. The whole interview is focused and I actually find the whole interview professional.

EDIT: Though I will admit Peter claims the interviewer got "emotional". However, that could be from all the question dodging. For example:
Yes, but again Mr. Molyneux had agree to give the interview in the first place. If Mr. Molyneux was very sensitive about the way the reviewer acted, this interview would be a disaster.
If I was him [glad I am not] I would simple told the reviewer to leave because he don't act accordingly.
If the reviewer have a problem with Mr. Molyneux, he should had wrote it down to his site, not directly to him.
See, if I was Molyneux, I would have laughed and admitted I deserved that. People can think I am a dick for laughing at it but someone jabbed me when I deserved the jab. I wouldn't get all puffy and be outraged at such a claim. I would be aware of my unkept promises I had made because everytime I didn't follow through with what I said I was going to do, I would feel like an ass. Look at how Peter basically "breaks" when he says he is a flawed human being, like that is some hard pill to swallow? DOes he normally see himself as flawless? Why is it so hard for him to admit he is flawed? He has no humility. Which means he is arrogant. "Are you happy, now?" Peter cries out defeated.

The interviewer replies "No. We are all flawed human beings, that isn't the point of this interview" despite Peter thinking it is all the way through. He has no idea what this interview could possibly be about despite it being apparent to each and every one of us. Well, I thought it was apparent, but apparently some people see it exactly as Peter does. He is sure it is to slander his name, but if you look at it, it is to actually get his side. His name is ALREADY being slandered, because of these same promises. All through this thread and EVERY Peter Molyneux discussion look at everyone going "He is delusional, don't trust him with your money, he lies again - surprise, surprise, etc." Here he has an opportunity to show the other side with the interviewer being "devil's advocate". Here is a chance to explain why he has that history. You know what he does? "You're going to drive me out of the industry, you're trying to ruin me, you're trying to make me out to be a bad man".

This interview was about having him talk about his track record and why people are worried he won't follow through on Godus. His perspective of his track record. And he has no idea what people are talking about when they joke about Peter Molyneux. He sees nothing wrong with his track record... well, he gets dates wrong. So you can bet he will continue to promise the stars and deliver flashlights, maybe Christmas lights, because he sees absolutely nothing wrong with his track record. People are just being mean.

When he hypes his games as revolutionary with the mechanics, then delivers run of the mill gameplay - we should all just be happy he worked hard and the bullshit he spewed out just wasn't possible, but hey, thanks for buying into it and making him a millionaire so he can do it again. If you are willing to sell something you can't deliver and get people to buy it, you will get rich in this world. Apparently, that doesn't deserve someone calling you out on it.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
TallanKhan said:
I agree that Peter Molyneux is a constant liar but I don't believe that a capable interviewer would need to demonstrate that level of aggression in their discourse in order to make that point.

If you want a good example, check out the clip of Jon Stewart dismantling the guys from CrossFire (on their own show no less). It does get a little heated but broadly he remains calm and composed (more so than they do) and point by point pulls them apart.
True, but I also feel as though the level that it was taken to was a product of 3 decades of pent up anger at one man's bullshit. Hell, you only have to look at the past decade to understand the frustration.

PM: "Fable is going to be the best and most original thing ever!"

"Fable 1 sucked, but Fable 2 is gonna be the bees knees"

"Fable 2 sucked, but trust me Fable 3 is going to be magnificent"

"Fable 3 sucked, but Fable: The Journey is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread and fully won't be on rails"

This type of behaviour is frustrating, even more so if say you were a fan of 1 or more of the games, only to be told that the creator thinks it's shit and that the new one will be way better.

And the way the interview started to go, I honestly believe that the man has a victims complex. So while absolutely the interviewer could have been more professional, I feel as though this needed to happen, Molyneux needed this massive slap to the face (Though I doubt it'll sink in) and people who've been scorned too many times by this man deserved top have someone stand up and just lay into him.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
While, on the one hand, it's almost cathartic to see someone I've long considered a pathologically lying, overzealous, irresponsible manchild get pretty much told that he is a pathologically lying, overzealous, irresponsible manchild, the way the interview went about it was just so unforgivably sloppy. -_- Was like trying to extract water from a coconut by hitting it with a sledgehammer; sure, that coconut milk is definitely coming out, but it's going to make one hell of a mess. And so now, instead of having an essentially unified voice of 'Goddamnit Molyneux, STOP TALKING,' with yet another example of his idiocy fresh and ripe for warning away any poor souls who haven't yet heard of the False Prophet, the discussion around Godus and Molyneux is divided, with one group obviously thrilled with the interview, and the other group mortified at its tone. And both have valid points.

In my case, on the one hand a reckoning WAS needed. Sorry, but if you're having an interview with Molyneux and you do NOT bring up the truly staggering number of times this exact pattern of behavior has occurred, and you do not in fact hammer it home with quiet determination, pointing out all his irresponsibility, his inability to learn from his countless mistakes, and hold it up as a mirror to his now Tots Serious Guys new project, then you're basically playing to Molyneux's narrative. "Right, right, last game was horrid, but the next one will TOTALLY be awesome, no reason to doubt you there!" If nothing else, so that any reader who God Forbid is unfamiliar with Molyneux will have an essential primer of 'Why You Should Ignore This Man's Every Word.' The vastness of the Molyneux Cycle (my new favorite term) is such that any interviewer who doesn't bring it up is clearly either coddling the man, or is being told that bringing it up will basically end the interview. The fact that he has now had at least the one project on Kickstarter, where his irresponsibility could actually work to the detriment of Kickstarter's own reputation as he joins the list of people who got lots of money and utterly failed to deliver, makes it all the more urgent that his bullshit be contained before it infects anyone else.

HOWEVER, by turning it into, basically, a boxing match, the interviewer provided Molyneux and any hardcore sympathizers with ample ammunition to deflect from the main issue. "Look at the mean man being a butthead to Molyneux." And the more the conversation turns towards "WAS the mean man being a butthead?" the less the conversation drifts towards the far more useful topic of "ARE there any laws that can ban a man from making PR statements or having any notable impact in the industry? ...can we petition to have one drafted? ....how about banishment, is there a tropical island we can leave him at?"

If Molyneux plans to use Kickstarter with any regularity, he has the potential to be an absolute wrecking ball if someone doesn't slap a choke chain on him. -_- Before, when he was with Microsoft, it was fine just chortling fondly like he was a particularly eccentric uncle who always wore dead animal pelts, but at this point big, red warning signs need to be put up saying "DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO THIS MAN! SERIOUSLY, JUST THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY OR LIGHT IT ON FIRE, AT LEAST IT WON'T BE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING STUPID BEHAVIOR THAT WAY."

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Given the context of what prompted the interview, an earlier RPS article about the state of godus, which rounded all the way back to Curiosity Cube, I think the opening line was warranted. The article reported on a string of failed promises and outright fraud.

RPS: My first question wasn?t, ?Are you a Machiavellian and spiteful liar?, it was ?Are you a pathological liar?? It was, do you say stuff that isn?t true without meaning to?
I don't see why it's such an insult. I've dealth with pathological liars, it's just something they are. Sometimes they need an intervention, and interventions need to be brutal. People like that take advantage of politeness and social norms to slither out of anything.

Mar 30, 2010
Molyneux and Bullfrog pretty much defined 90's PC gaming, and reading that quite painful article that repeatedly badgered the same tired point in the name of 'sticking one to the man' was simply needless. Sad state of affairs when journalists need to attack industry giants just to retain credibility.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
Molyneux and Bullfrog pretty much defined 90's PC gaming, and reading that quite painful article that repeatedly badgered the same tired point in the name of 'sticking one to the man' was simply needless. Sad state of affairs when journalists need to attack industry giants just to retain credibility.
Molyneux hasn't been a giant since the 90's, he's an irrelevant leftover today and the only reason any of his entourage cuts him some slack is because of Bullfrog. Yeah, those were awesome days but the man's basically a lying conman at this point so there's every reason to hit him hard and make sure he doesn't get up again.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Molynuex gets grilled and while its not wholly deserved he did need to have some things asked.

So when is the interview where they roast Tim schafers head on a spike for the Vapid amusement of their empty headed audience?

I mean equality in all things right?

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
1) How is Molyneux still a 'giant' after 4 fable games and other mess ups?

2) Yes the reporter went at him probably harder than he should have but Molyneux also don't have this 'credibility' you speak of.

Side note I'd love the reporter to go after Capcom next.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Silentpony said:
Meh, I'll save everyone the need to give RockPaperShotgun hits.

Interviewer: You're a lying dick
Peter: No I'm not
Interviewer" Yes you are
Interviewer" Yes you are
Interviewer" Yes you are
Interviewer" Yes you are
Interviewer" Yes you are
Interviewer: Well okay.
Interviewer: You're a lying dick
Peter: No I'm not, I said X but didn't realize Y.
Interviewer" Yes you are, you said originally that Y wasn't a problem.
Peter: No I'm not, oh wait, I did, when did I say that? I didn't mean that.
Interviewer" Yes you are. OK, you didn't deliver on Z. Why should backers not do N?
Peter: No I'm not. Backers shouldn't do N because, well because we're still fixing Y, you know I said Y was a problem!
Interviewer" Yes you are. But wait, did you know Y was a problem? Or Y wasn't a problem?
Peter: No I'm not. You know I wanted Y not to be a problem, but well this isn't a perfect world, and sometimes Y is a problem. I'm a flawed human being!
Interviewer" Yes you are. So what about making all these statements about X, Y, and Z to the games press?
Peter: No I'm not. I'll never speak to the games press again. You didn't see me speaking to the games press last year, did you?
Interviewer" Yes you are, and yes you did.
Peter: No I'm not. Really, I'm not, you're just being a big old meany. I can't be held accountable for the things I say and promise. That was old Peter who said those things. I'm 2015 Peter. Totally different people.
Interviewer: Well okay.

Just filling in the gaps.