Rockstar Bringing New Law to Red Dead Redemption's Multiplayer

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Huh, I'll kind of miss the tension of seeing someone ride up, and not knowing what they were going to do.

They should just have a no PVP damage mode, where you get less XP.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
i hope this doesn't ruin the "el presido rush". Seeing everyone running towards the fort and holding it with your posse is quite fun at times.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
NOW THIS IS WHAT THE GAME NEEDED.

I was tired of free roam devolving into a giant deathmatch.

Now, just add a "free roam PvP damage: OFF" option.
I was going to say exactly this,ninj- ALL HAIL TO THE MIGHTY HYPNOTOAD!

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
obisean said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
FUCKING RIGHT

I remember killing some guy out of defense, because he thought it would be fun to try and kill me. So the dude adds EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER to his possee and they start to hunt me down. Since you respawn so close to your corpse, they just chased me and killed me. Sure I killed the odd man, but I had six people gunning for me. Most of them were really high levels and had great horses.

So I just logged off and never touched multiplayer again
I had this almost exact thing happen once. What you should have done, is not mount a horse after respawn and crouch behind something, tree is preferred so they cant shoot over it. As soon as they shoot once (lets you know they have a lock), do a roll. It makes them lose their target and have to reacquire you, on a horse they have no such option. Unless they get a lucky head shot, you wont die, and you'll have them killed before they can relock. I would kill about 4 or 5 of em before they finally killed me once. They just kept going at it too.

Eventually, a couple guys came over and saw what was going on and joined my cause. Somehow they were REALLY good and we just mopped the 8 of them for about 30 minutes or til they got bored of dying on an individual basis. Was good times. I admit I wanted to log off for a bit til i figured it out, but I'm glad I stuck with it.
As i mentioned, he got the whole map in his possee. I had better things to do than put up with beligerent babies... Like pick flowers in single player
Max posse is 8 people, up to 16 are on the map at any given time. The people that joined my cause I don't think were even in the game yet when our little fight started. It was at least 20 or so minutes with me vs the 8 of them, and like I said, I would kill about 5 or 6 before they gunned me down. It takes practice and a bit of skill to pull off, but in the end you are a much better player from the experience. Also, make sure that the first one to die is the guy that the war is with. If he never gets the kill on you, it's that much sweeter.

Yes, there are better things to do, but there are also better things to do than the things you are going to do instead of what you are doing, etc., etc. So why not make the best of what you have? You aren't showing anyone anything by running away (or in this case leaving the server) in a video game. The worst that will happen is that you keep getting killed because you aren't learning anything, and at best you will pick it up and do like I did and make it fun to a point.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
obisean said:
-snipped for length-
Oh, I learnt enough during the actual game itself. But I don't think he even had 8 people in his possee. It was firly late at ngiht and it wasn't a full map.

Still, seemed like a waste of time so I left.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Azuaron said:
I just want to be clear here...

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?
Not acting like an outlaw, like an asshole. People will literally hunt people down like they did with me. Kill someone, wait for them to respawn (you only respawn about 10 feet away from where you died), and killing them again. Over and over and over...

No you log on, have that happen and tell me you're having fun
Yeah, that sounds exactly like an outlaw to me. The romantic notion of Robin Hood outlaws is false. Outlaws are dicks.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Baby Tea said:
Azuaron said:

The game about outlaws, where you are an outlaw, and there's even an achievement for tying a woman up and dropping her in front of a train... this game is punishing you for acting like an outlaw in multiplayer?
Spawn killing isn't being an outlaw, it's being a douche.

OT: Sweet! I might just jump back into multiplayer once this drops!
Outlaws are, nearly always, douches. What do you want?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Kalezian said:
Azuaron said:

the game is punishing you for greifing players.

unless you think its fun being killed twenty times in a row while waiting for your horses textures to load and try, try to kill someone with your invisible gun.

OT: I dont see how sending an NPC law-posse will do anything to deter anyone from going over the six kill streak, I mean, its not like they were a problem at all in single player.
I'm all for the new rules, in a practical "this will make the game more fun" sense, but that doesn't make it less hilarious.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Oh, I've had my times where I've been "unfairly" hunted to the point of just logging off or swapping to Private Free Roam. And I've had my moments where someone provokes me, and I've spent my every minute of remaining free time chasing him across the wilderness, from one respawn to another.

Night #1:
I log on to find a posse of 4+ assailing the mansion in Mexico. (It's been a while since I've played RDR, so please forgive my geographic ineptitude.). Once I arrive in the town below I can hear the chatter of the players above. While I try to figure out how to make peaceful contact, without an available microphone, they spotted me.
"You think he's here to join us, or what?"
"He's got a longrifle on 'im... I'm gonna take 'im out." (Whoops, I forgot I'd been sniping up north...)
*splurch* (There's no report from that distance... just the sound of my head making like a watermelon at a Gallagher show.)

Eventually I was able to get one of them to accept my 'Join' request and we all had a grand time sniping the Mexican Army from inside the mansion grounds...until a few other players logged in and took offense to our attempt to get the Achievement/Trophy for an entire posse accumulating 2000+ Bounty. They came down and wiped us all out of there, and the leader of the assault (a max-level sniper of insane skill) spawn-killed the entire group until everyone but myself and one other member remained. What followed was a 2-v-1 spawn-kill extravaganza, with deaths falling about equal until it was just him and me. After 10 minutes of getting my head blown off while I tried to get away. As long as he could spot my nametag, I was as good as dead. No more fun, just frustration. ::power Off::

Night #2:
I'm just tooling about... Spent the last 20min+ chasing a carraige around, to see where he'd drive to. Every so often I'll check the map to see who may be about and spot a new Lvl.1 newbie. I keep an eye on him and notice that he's pretty well making a beeline straight for me across the map. Okay... I'm outside Fort Mercer, so maybe he's headed there, or wants to join up for a clearing? Nope.
The second he spots me, I take fire from his piddly peashooter. (Sure, I'm no Lvl.40+ veteran, but the late teens are nothing to scoff at when you've only just logged on for the very first time.) So, I drop off my steed, pull out my trusty longrifle, and perforate his skull from range. He respawns and comes for me again... so, I drop him again. And again. And again. By the time he'd figured out it had been "a bad idea", I was taking his donkey out from under him before following with a coup de gras.

I think the only thing I hate more than other players on a low-capacity Free Roam (<6) not even trying to play cooperatively, is actually having a partner for a while, and they suddenly decide to turncoat and execute you from behind during a standoff. (I know that there's a 'quest' to do this a number of times... But why do I always find someone who has this quest, while I still several levels to go before it's even unlocked?)