Rockstar Declines BAFTA Showing for Red Dead Redemption

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
maybe they find BAFTA showing games as infantile? I don't know, never heard of BAFTA.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
When did Rockstar became an idiot run company?
I change my mind. After seeing this http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/ it's no wonder they don't want to be associated with BAFTA in any way. I mean look at the nominees in those categories. They don't make any sense.

Nov 5, 2007
Mechsoap said:
maybe they find BAFTA showing games as infantile? I don't know, never heard of BAFTA.
Yes because VGAs certainly doesn't show games as infantile...

BrunDeign said:
Wow. Knocking the VGAs pretty hard there aren't you Escapist?
It's not really surprising that some of them don't like the "dudebro" award.

Jack Cheal

Aug 25, 2010
Ubermetalhed said:
Perhaps Rockstar feel that their game doesn't deserve BAFTA awards and should really be given to a classier more artistic/original game, so keeping with the prestigious nature of the awards.

I mean if you made a slasher movie that was very good and highly acclaimed and the guys in the Oscars were considering it for top awards, you might feel like there are other more derserving films which fit better with the reputation of the awards and deserve it more. Consequently you might ask that your film be removed from the running.

If that makes any sense...
to be fair, last year's winner was Modern Warfare 2, so I don't think it's that.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
ImprovizoR said:
When did Rockstar became an idiot run company?
I change my mind. After seeing this http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/ it's no wonder they don't want to be associated with BAFTA in any way. I mean look at the nominees in those categories. They don't make any sense.
Err...maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing but, what was wrong with the list? Other than FIFA 10 being on the 'Best Game' list, the picks weren't awful, if maybe a little underwhelming. Certainly not any reason not to accept an award.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Krakyn said:
I'm pretty sure that Rockstar doesn't want to be seen as snooty, artistic, or elitist. I don't agree that this is at all the image of BAFTA, or that class is bad. But it's a sad trend that anything intelligent or refined is treated as the enemy. If Rockstar wins a bunch of awards from rich white guys, all the customers that love them for the hookers and headshots might resent them for it.
If that's true, it's kind of ridiculous that the movies that have inspired most of Rockstar's output are proud to show up and celebrate their BAFTA nominations and wins, but Rockstar themselves feel above it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Rockstar probably just wanted to keep their entry fee for more important things like pizza, beer, ice cream and pie.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Which Red Dead Redemption are they awarding? The "Classic Western" one or the "Cheesy Zombie" one?

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Maybe Rockstar isn't it wetting itself about how super-classy and awesome the BAFTAs are. Unlike some people, who clearly think getting one is like making out with God or something.

It's just an award. That you have to pay to be considered for. And it's been traditionally focused on movies and television, and video games are NOT movies and television, so why in the world are they giving out video game awards anyway?

I can't believe how elitist certain people are getting around here. I know, I know, the whole point of this place is to show that gamers are not just hooting morons on Xbox Live. But we're not all tea-sipping Fine Arts majors who only like to discuss indie games civilly at dinner parties, either.

Sure, the VGAs were goofy and a mess. And that's what they've always been. And they've ALSO always been about VIDEO GAMES, not TV and movies. And they don't make you pay a bunch of self-important, self-proclaimed cultural critics to descend from on high to judge you worthy of attention by people who clearly don't care in the first place.

Rockstar makes games about beating hookers with baseball bats, assassinating mobsters for money, and flying bomb-loaded remote-controlled biplanes into cars. These games sell very well. Clearly Rockstar is happy with who and what it is, and we the consumers are happy with who and what it is.

Maybe certain members of the Escapist staff need to lower their pinkies and chill out. Video games are art. Video games are technical marvels. If the opera and ballet crowd won't acknowledge this at this point because they just can't get over the content (something they also do with, oh, comic books, rap, anime, genre fiction, movies that people actually watch, etc.), that's their problem.

And we should ask ourselves why in the world we care in the first place. Because Rockstar doesn't seem to.

Now watch there be a technical reason why they didn't apply for the BAFTA, making me look like an idiot. BUT MOST OF WHAT I SAID STILL STANDS!

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
HellspawnCandy said:
Not like that game was any good. Rockstar always creates repetitive sandbox games.
HOW DARE YOU BLAST THE BEST HORSE-RIDING SIMULATOR OF THE YEAR?!?
I mean, any game chock full of repetitive fetch quests and constant horse-riding must be great, right? Especially since any game with that gameplay summary sounds like the latest Barbie pony adventure.
OT: I've got no idea why Rockstar would do that. I mean, it's not like they exactly avoid attention.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
BrunDeign said:
Wow. Knocking the VGAs pretty hard there aren't you Escapist?
But the VGA's are kind of sleazy. I don't know if anyone takes it seriously. It's like the MTV movie awards where Twilight wins everything.

OT: Why would they not want RDR to be more larger recognized? I'm saddened by this news.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The sooner we stop acknowledging the Spike VGA awards, the sooner they go die in a fire. I am never going to mention them again, and I encourage everyone else to do the same in hopes that they still stop having the event when they realize nobody cares anymore.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Escapist: If you give Red Dead Redemption GoTY over Mass Effect 2, I will lose a great deal of respect for you.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i bet some mook at rockstar just forgot to file the paperwork! or missed a deadline :p

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
Maybe they just felt it unfair if they won all the awards.
[/Rockstar Fanboyism]
That's the best explanation, I think.
Of course, still doesn't explain why they threw themselves into the VGAs.

Feb 13, 2008
Slycne said:
Rockstar probably just wanted to keep their entry fee for more important things like pizza, beer, ice cream and pie.
That sounds like a good idea to me. Stuffy awards ceremonies always have overpriced stuff. And Uwe Boll would probably want to sit next to them and ask to make a film about it.

Richioso

Sep 22, 2010
Maybe I'm just being obvious but BAFTA don't care about games and have only added the category recently.

These are Film and Television awards, the British equivalent of an Emmy I suppose.

There is no reason that Rock* need to win a BAFTA.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Jack Cheal said:
Ubermetalhed said:
Perhaps Rockstar feel that their game doesn't deserve BAFTA awards and should really be given to a classier more artistic/original game, so keeping with the prestigious nature of the awards.

I mean if you made a slasher movie that was very good and highly acclaimed and the guys in the Oscars were considering it for top awards, you might feel like there are other more derserving films which fit better with the reputation of the awards and deserve it more. Consequently you might ask that your film be removed from the running.

If that makes any sense...
to be fair, last year's winner was Modern Warfare 2, so I don't think it's that.
But Activision was the publisher, i.e money hungry and controlling so the more advertising their mediocre game gets the better.

I doubt Rockstar care about figures and advertising the shit out of their games as much. So point still stands.