Rockstar: Only "Terrible Parents" Buy Our Games for Their Kids

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I love Lazow, he is a freaking comedy genious. (I say little kids would have more fun with Pokemon than with gta, I know I did)

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I think this a more of a call out to those idiots that claim video games are corrupting our children. Rockstars response "Then why the fuck did you buy the game for your kid then?... did you not see the 18 certificate on the box?... these games aren't for kid the pillocks". okay that's not what Rockstar said but I feel that's what they should say to them.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I love the statement, and i agree with him, not about the terrible parnt thing, but about how kids should not play there games, but at the same time, they havent had a good game sense San Andreus, but ill hold that statement back untel i play Red Dead.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
This really is common sense - I suppose younger parents, who play(ed) games, will be more capable of accepting this fact. It was a no-brainer for me, for instance, to only play Fallout 3 when the kids were in bed or out of the house. You've got to give them something to look forward to or why bother growing up!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
But times are changing and Lazlow thinks...
Wait a sec... is that Lazlow, the guy who played Lazlow in all those GTA radio programmes? If so, he rocked before regardless - if not, he rocks now.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
My parents didn't buy me any Rockstar games! They bought me Mortal Kombat II, damn it!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I have always thought the solution was , instead of having the little 18 (or M or whatever it is where you come from) Have it big, like three inches in diameter, so no one can ever claim that it is somehow unclear what the fuck the game is all about.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rafe said:
LAZLOW'S REAL!!??

I hope this doesn't hit their sales at all. Its decent of them to say so anyway.
If you look at the voice talent list in the manuals, Lazlow is, in fact, played by a guy called Lazlow. And he's apparently the lead director or something on the radio channels during development. Yes, he does in fact rock.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Completely true, and it's about time Rockstar said so. I honestly don't get why people keep fighting to ban video games when the people should just be watched what their kids play. Good for you, Rockstar.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I think it's a bit of a hyperbole to say that any parent who buys a Rockstar game for their kid is doing wrong, as there are some children mature enough to play this games and if their parent recognizes this there's no problem. But over all I agree completely with Lazlow's statements. Video games face a lot of bias from the media and public opinion, probably because of the connotations involved with the word "game" and the now obsolete image of video games being only for children. As he said, a game like GTA4 and a show like The Sopranos are very similar and should be treated fairly equally, but obviously that is far from the case.

What problems video games do cause that movies and television don't is because of this bias as well. Parents usually wouldn't let their children watch shows like The Sopranos, but they figure any video game is appropriate for their kids because it's a "game", despite its clearly marked rating. Then they get pissed off when the mature rated game corrupts their children. It's these kinds of people I hate and who are definitely terrible parents.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Fuck you, Lazlow. My parents are awesome.

Now buying Grand Theft Auto or similar games for your child and then just leaving them to their own devices, yes that is terrible parenting. But that's not what my parents did. They never regarded the age ratings on games or films as anything more than guidelines, but they always made sure that I knew the difference between reality and fiction was. They always taught me that while violent films and videogames were fine entertainment, the things depicted in them were horrible in the real world. And you know, even though I was a kid, I could understand that. And I'm incredibly grateful that my parents decided to teach me about the difference between violent media and real life at a younger age, instead of just hiding it all from me until I reached some arbitrary age that had been printed on the box.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Izzil said:
I remember Family Guy doing something like this in an episode after the series was rebooted where they chided bad parents for letting their kids watch the smut the show put on the air. It was the last time I had any shred of respect for the pile of bile the show had become.

Kudos to Rockstar for swinging its brassy pair.
Wait, you dissed the show for doing this, but commend the game company? I am lost

Also, It is funny that Rockstar has said this, and I would like to see the expression of a parent who reads this.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
"If you're a parent and buy one of our games for your child, you're a terrible parent."

Even if it's true, bad marketing idea much?

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
How about "Terrible parents are parents that get advice from corporations". While I admire what Rockstar is saying a good parent looks at their child and then decides what content their child can handle. Simply blocking access from anything and everything is terrible parenting.

As long as a kid is mature and the parent makes sure to communicate with their child over the content in whatever media they are using there is nothing wrong with kids playing M rated games or watching R rated movies.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Parents who didn't grow up in the computer era still think of games as toys for children. They need to realize this is false.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
They should just call their next game "Not for Fucking Kids, alright?!" subtitled "So stop having a go at us about sex, violence and swearing." Because the kind of parents who don't realise what a GTA game involves are the kind who won't have a clue Rockstar have said this, unless it's written on the box.