Rockstar Speaks Out On OpenIV Shutdown

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
JenSeven said:
Also, it was Take2 that did it, not Rockstar.
Oh, I know it was Take Two, but it was Rockstar who said that bit about "continuing to support the creative community". Plus, they are the developers of GTA, so a modding tool would probably also be developed by them, not Take Two.

Whatever the case, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot, because OpenIV can still be downloaded from torrent sites like The Pirate Bay, where it was posted the very same day Take Two made their shitty move.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Truehare said:
"We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community[...]"

That, for me, explains everything. I'll bet we can expect a modding tool from Rockstar or Take Two in the near future, and that's the real reason why they preemptively shut down the competititon.

And, the way things are going, they will do everything they can to make the mods made with their own tool paid mods.
Oh man... Holy shit. If this comes true, fuck them entirely. Reminds me of Bethesda (who would have thought that?), not only wanting to profit heavily from consumer-made micro-DLC, but also closing their system. And T2 might even have more success with this, given how much Bethesda games depend on mods to be enjoyable in a grand scale. Or in order to fix them. That's not the case with Rockstar's games and thus a less attention-grabbing issue for the player base.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Truehare said:
JenSeven said:
Oh, I know it was Take Two, but it was Rockstar who said that bit about "continuing to support the creative community". Plus, they are the developers of GTA, so a modding tool would probably also be developed by them, not Take Two.

Whatever the case, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot, because OpenIV can still be downloaded from torrent sites like The Pirate Bay, where it was posted the very same day Take Two made their shitty move.
The thing is it has been patched so OpenIV doesnt work anymore.

And right now Steam reviews have taken a massive drop.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
gyrobot said:
Truehare said:
JenSeven said:

Heh. That's funny. No, I'm not making fun of you. I'm laughing at Take Two. They're putting up a patch fence against...people who code just as well, if not better than them. I laugh because they'll just circumvent it like always.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
FalloutJack said:
gyrobot said:
Truehare said:
JenSeven said:

Heh. That's funny. No, I'm not making fun of you. I'm laughing at Take Two. They're putting up a patch fence against...people who code just as well, if not better than them. I laugh because they'll just circumvent it like always.
I'm foreseeing it going just like the compatibility layer that lets you use non-oculus headsets on oculus games did.

Fans: "So we carefully developed this compatibility layer in such a way that does not jeopardize the copy protection of the games in question"
Oculus: "Lol no, making DRM prevent compatibility layers."
Fans: "Welp, guess we have to break the DRM to make shit work now." [Breaks DRM and opens the door for Oculus platform piracy in the process.]

Just with hacking instead of piracy.