Rocksteady Promises PC Version of Arkham City Will Be Worth the Wait

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
See, this is what I like to hear as a PC gamer. I really have no qualms with delays as long as the ned product is as good as the creator intended it to be. It would be nice to see every developer take the time they need to fully optimize for each platform rather than force them out at the same time on the deadline of their publisher, but such is business.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It'll only be worth it if Rocksteady spends all those extra time meticulously scrubbing off GFWL off the game.
What is GFWL?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It'll only be worth it if Rocksteady spends all those extra time meticulously scrubbing off GFWL off the game.
What. AC uses GFWL? Fuck no. I've gotta buy it on my PS3 now :(

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
JMan said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
What is GFWL?
Games for Windows Live.

It was MS' attempt to cater to PC gamers. They then decided not to do a thing to support it and made it utter garbage. It was originally promoted to be used for cross-platform play across PC and 360. That didn't pan out though, because as everyone suspected, in most competitive multiplayer games, M/K trumps a controller.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
JMan said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
What is GFWL?
Games for Windows Live.

It was MS' attempt to cater to PC gamers. They then decided not to do a thing to support it and made it utter garbage. It was originally promoted to be used for cross-platform play across PC and 360. That didn't pan out though, because as everyone suspected, in most competitive multiplayer games, M/K trumps a controller.
Yeah I realized what it meant almost immediately after I posted. When they first came out with GFWL I knew it wouldn't really last or do that well.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
coldalarm said:
Have you ever seen the Arkham Asylum config screen? It has a lot of options.
JeanLuc761 said:
Uh...
(IMAGE)
We have plenty of options with the PC version of Arkham Asylum.
Sorry, I'm stupid. I don't know how I missed this, although I suspect if I'd been able to actually play the thing on my machine without constant crashing (related to realtek sound, as far as I can tell) I would've noticed it eventually.

They DO need to fix the sound problems, though. A game that refuses to play on such a large number of devices is a major problem that should not have been overlooked, and there's certainly no good excuse for not having patched this one by no

It would seem I'm blind, my apologies.

P.S. Thanks

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Fair enough. The GFWL stuff aside (I'm sure that's not Rocksteady's decision to make, it's WB and Squeenix) I'm happy to support a developer who's willing to take a couple extra weeks and make the PC version better and more 'PC-ish', and at a lower price as well.

The PC version of AA was not just a straight port either, so they have some credibility here. Don't be churlish.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Covarr said:
Sorry, I'm stupid. I don't know how I missed this, although I suspect if I'd been able to actually play the thing on my machine without constant crashing (related to realtek sound, as far as I can tell) I would've noticed it eventually.

They DO need to fix the sound problems, though. A game that refuses to play on such a large number of devices is a major problem that should not have been overlooked, and there's certainly no good excuse for not having patched this one by no

It would seem I'm blind, my apologies.

P.S. Thanks
I'm not denying you have a problem, but it plays fine on my Realtek on-board soundcard.

oldtaku said:
I'm happy to support a developer who's willing to take a couple extra weeks and make the PC version better and more 'PC-ish', and at a lower price as well.
You make it sound as if they're doing us a favour by taking longer. Lower prices are standard for PC games (Due to no licensing fees for a start), and it should be "more PC-ish" as standard. Many other developers/publishers get their multiplatform releases out on the same day, so I don't see why we should excuse Rocksteady for it.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
coldalarm said:
I'm not denying you have a problem, but it plays fine on my Realtek on-board soundcard.
It took me a while to even figure out that this was the problem, but there are tons of reports about it on eidos' forums. Seems it effects a lot of people, but not everybody.

P.S. Thanks

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
coldalarm said:
You make it sound as if they're doing us a favour by taking longer. Lower prices are standard for PC games (Due to no licensing fees for a start), and it should be "more PC-ish" as standard. Many other developers/publishers get their multiplatform releases out on the same day, so I don't see why we should excuse Rocksteady for it.
This is just way too much entitlement. 'excuse'? Unfortunately the delayed PC release seems to be the standard these days. If (if) they're spending that time beefing up the PC version then yes they're doing us a favour. But either way there's nothing to 'excuse'. Final Fantasy XIV is something you need to excuse, this isn't unless it's horribly broken on launch. Either wait for it or go buy the console version - or neither, but if you care about launch day then that's probably not an option.

Madshadow

Mar 10, 2011
Played the Ps3 and PC and regarding controls the PC version annoyed me quite a bit seeing I played it with Keyboard and Mouse and certain buttons had a double function which in Me lee was very annoying. You kind of needed a good controller (xbox360 for example to play it nicely which i don't have)

You have a whole keyboard, and in a game like this it could have been more practical..

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
oldtaku said:
This is just way too much entitlement. 'excuse'? Unfortunately the delayed PC release seems to be the standard these days. If (if) they're spending that time beefing up the PC version then yes they're doing us a favour. But either way there's nothing to 'excuse'. Final Fantasy XIV is something you need to excuse, this isn't unless it's horribly broken on launch. Either wait for it or go buy the console version - or neither, but if you care about launch day then that's probably not an option.
If they were doing us a favour, which they shouldn't be anyway, AC would be out with the other two platforms. What they've done by delaying it is caused it to be released in the most ridiculous time possible, thus likely jeopardising release sales figures. With Skyrim coming out in November, Christmas (And some other religious festivals) in December, they've really kicked themselves in the nads because it's just going to be swallowed by the competition. If they'd have turned around and said "Look, we're sorry, but we've found major issues with the PC version so we have to delay it", most people wouldn't mind I reckon, but to delay it to "PC-ify" it is ridiculous. As I said many, many developers and publishers manage to do it in time, so why can't Rocksteady?

They don't have a clue what they're doing with the PC. They're going on about PhysX and higher quality textures as if they're something the PC has never had before. They're making a big song and dance over what is generally accepted as standard in PC games, even with shoddy ports.

Final Fantasy XIV's launch was inexcusable, by the way.