Roger The Kangaroo Cut From Tekken 7 Due to Animal Activist Fears

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Roger The Kangaroo Cut From Tekken 7 Due to Animal Activist Fears

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1401/1401639.jpg
Roger Jr., the boxing kangaroo, has been cut from the console versions of Tekken 7 due to fear of animal activist protests.

Remember that viral video earlier in the year of a man rescuing his dog from a kangaroo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw] by punching it in the face? Well, while hilarious for us, it's been a headache for the folks over at Bandai Namco, who are cutting Tekken 7's boxing kangaroo: Roger Jr., as a result.

"There was a video of a man's dog being headlocked by a kangaroo, and he punched it in the face", executive producer Katsuhiro Harada said in an interview with VG24/7 [https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/27/tekken-7-roger-the-kangaroo-cut-due-to-animal-activists-kuma-the-bear-still-in-because-hes-stronger-than-a-human-being/]. "It turned into a big problem. People were complaining about him punching a kangaroo. It seems that in the last few years there's a lot more animal activists - even though they probably wouldn't play our game they would still hear about that, about a kangaroo in our game being punched, and would complain about it."

While Roger Jr. is still currently in the arcade versions of Tekken 7 playable in Japan right now, when the console and PC versions of the game launch on June 2 this year, he will be cut.

Meanwhile, Kuma the bear, will remain in the game because a bear is "obviously stronger than a human being".

Source: VG24/7 [https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/27/tekken-7-roger-the-kangaroo-cut-due-to-animal-activists-kuma-the-bear-still-in-because-hes-stronger-than-a-human-being/]

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
.....this has to be a joke, very funny all in all now let us all go home and contemplate how stupid this would be if they were serious.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
In other news Injustice 2's achievement "Dick Out For Grodd" had to be removed because it offended Dick Grayson fans.

Rest at ease DC fans for Deadshot can still shoot Gorilla Grodd.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
A kangaroo isn't stronger than a human being? I'm sorry, do they not KNOW how hard a kangaroo can kick?!

Also, as someone who cares very much about animal rights and preventing abuse, these activists are seriously damaging the very interests they claim to champion. They probably would've complained just as loudly if the man had let the kangaroo kill his dog.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
apparently they decided to remove it because at some future point there MIGHT be a complaint.. ok then

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kind of like when people get mad at women in fighting games cause them being able to fight back is meaningless.

I mean, if anyone was mad at that guy for (protecting an animal from another animal) then wouldnt they want to be able to play as a kangaroo and beat up humans?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
If they wouldn't buy the game anyway, why do their complaints matter to the game company? Bottom line drives everything, don't it? Or do they really think a bunch of crazy animal nuts are going to sway the opinions of the people who would have already bought the game?
Also, if my dog was being attacked by a kangaroo, I'd punch the thing, too. Kangaroos are not the sweet, cuddly animals people think. They are pretty aggressive if they decide not to tolerate you being around them. Besides, they punch each other all the time and hit way harder than we can, so I doubt we'd do much damage to them.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I remember the guy punching the Kangaroo. I remember why. I probably would have done the same if not pull a weapon on it. Random fucking Kangaroos do not take priority over my dog.

This is dumb. Once again. It's a game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Im pretty sure that sort of fear from anticipation is supposed to be an unhealthy thing to give in to. It's what I've been lead to understand from past sessions.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I wasn't aware animal rights fanatics were Tekken's core demographic.

...What's that? They aren't? Then why the hell do they care what those people think?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
................Well if this isn't a joke then I have to say the same thing I said during all those controversies were women were taken out of a game.

You must not have had a lot of faith in it to begin with.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
...Isn't this the game with the fighting bear? Or a panda? Or is it both? Why would they be worried about animal rights when you've already had an animal in the roster for many years?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes animal rights activists who'd be overly concerned about the well being of a virtual animal. ...ugh...

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
No, no.

This holiday comes at the beginning of April, not the end.

Ha ha. I can see how you could confuse the two.

Silly Tekken upper management.

[small]Now fucking fix it.[/small]

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Um, didn't anyone check Harada's twitter?... He basically said it was a joke, even if the language barrier makes it a little hard to interpret. This is really jumping the gun.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It would make no sense to cut Rodger since there's also Kuma and Panda and Alex and I doubt they'd cut Panda or Xiaoyu would throw a fit.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
That guy puching the kangaroo was hilarious.

Having said that, I hate the joke charecters so good ridance.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Having seen a dog get gored by a kangaroo, fuck em
If they didn't bounce so fast I'd punch them all in the face