Roger The Kangaroo Cut From Tekken 7 Due to Animal Activist Fears

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Winnosh said:
infohippie said:
Fortunately the PC version will likely receive a mod in less than a month after release that not only puts the kangaroo back in but also adds koalas, Tasmanian devils, and an animal rights activist wearing a PETA T-shirt.
Come on guys's verify before complaining or at least read the thread. This was Harada being Harada. Roger isn't being removed and never was. The clue should have been that if he was worried about animal rights people he would have gotten rd of Kuma and Panda
It's weird... I feel like I should be surprised because The Escapist forums, as lukwarm as I am about this place, is usually quicker on the draw than most places. But then I remember where I am and jumping the gun to be indignant has become sort of the norm, so.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Since when did a Japanese company give a flying fuck about any activist groups?

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
DemomanHusband said:
Um, didn't anyone check Harada's twitter?... He basically said it was a joke, even if the language barrier makes it a little hard to interpret. This is really jumping the gun.
To be fair to SB, the guy apparently said it in an interview in which he outlined other details of the game.
It's not like he was basing this just on some tweet.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
This news makes me so mad it makes me want to punch something... preferable from Australia.
Hahahaha
Reminds me of the Calvin and Hobbs strip.
"Putting animals into games doesn't make me want to punch them. And I'll punch a kangaroo if anyone says otherwise"

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Why is it only the west needs to put up with shit like this? The Japanese simply don't care. I hope PC culture will go away in the future, maybe it is nostalgia but I miss 90's gaming, movies and music may have been shit during the 90's but games were fun with no politics.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Interesting to see how many people just don't read comments under the article before making theirs. Lot of people being outraged despite someone basically confirming it's a developer making a joke.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
TrulyBritish said:
Interesting to see how many people just don't read comments under the article before making theirs. Lot of people being outraged despite someone basically confirming it's a developer making a joke.
It's basic outrage culture. People want something to be upset about. They want to think that someone's censoring them or that there something they can't have.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Winnosh said:
TrulyBritish said:
It's basic outrage culture. People want something to be upset about. They want to think that someone's censoring them or that there something they can't have.
I mean, to be fair, I was also ready to decry how stupid a move this would be if it was real, but this is why I read comments whenever this kind of thing comes up.
Turns out, sometimes reports get it wrong and people get offended at basically nothing, who'd have thought?

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
TrulyBritish said:
Winnosh said:
TrulyBritish said:
I mean, to be fair, I was also ready to decry how stupid a move this would be if it was real, but this is why I read comments whenever this kind of thing comes up.
Turns out, sometimes reports get it wrong and people get offended at basically nothing, who'd have thought?
There are things in the world to get upset about. The point is to verify so that your anger can be properly directed. It just happens too often today. Hell it's like that whole DOA Xtreem 3. With them saying that they weren't going to release it because of the climate. No They weren't going to release it because 1 the games sell like crap over here, and 2 they make more money by just having someone else handle distribution. It was a marketing ploy that people ate up.

Corporations don't need you to defend them. Most often they're just using you.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
O maestre said:
Why is it only the west needs to put up with shit like this? The Japanese simply don't care. I hope PC culture will go away in the future, maybe it is nostalgia but I miss 90's gaming, movies and music may have been shit during the 90's but games were fun with no politics.
You can't destroy Megaton in Fallout 3 in Japan. They're kinda touchy about nukes. Gratuitous gore and such tends to be cut on the editor's floor too, like in Resident Evil 7. (And if you don't think games were cut to hell and back in the 90's, I've got some bad news for you)

Why do people assume Japan doesn't have their own set of media standards? And why are people taking Harada seriously about characters cut for ridiculous reasons? I mean, remember Lucky Chloe?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Bindal said:
Thaluikhain said:
Casual Shinji said:
This news makes me so mad it makes me want to punch something... preferable from Australia.
Don't try a kangaroo, though. Or, of course, a crocodile, snake or spider. Or a box jellyfish. Or a blue-ringed octopus.

Actually, might want to give that a miss.
He can punch the dirt. That should be relatively harmless.
It's dirt in Australia so it still might be lethal in some form, but not as lethal as pretty much everything else.
In fact, it might be better to just forget Australia entirely. [http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2001/02/08/243639.htm]

Most relevant part:
But you can suffer even if you don't touch the plant. The plants continuously shed their stinging hairs. Stay close to the stinging trees for more than an hour, and you can get an allergic reaction - intensely painful and continuous bouts of sneezing. You can even get nose bleeds from these silicon hairs floating in the air. But Dr. Hurley found that if she wore filter masks, which she replaced regularly, she could work near the plants for a few hours at a time.
OT: Having never actually played a Tekken game, this is the first time I've even known that it has playable animal characters. I probably knew about the bear at some point in the past, but just forgot because Tekken is so low on my radar that it barely even registers as a current franchise. Didn't Tekken 5 come out in, like, 2000?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
O maestre said:
maybe it is nostalgia but I miss 90's gaming, movies and music may have been shit during the 90's but games were fun with no politics.
There were politics, even back then; the difference being it was not as obvious. Remember Nintendo, and the censorship brigade? The no hitting girls rule in beat'em ups, the removal of religion, and MK1. Sega had some moments too, but nowhere near as bad. Their most confusing one was in Street of Rage 3 in changing the heroes normal colors to make them "gender neutral". It still makes no sense and I have no idea who they were trying to cater to on that one. Then there is Resident Evil 1's removing some of the violence in its live-action intro, and removed Chris smoking a cigarette. You have point of politics playing a bigger deal now, but this is nothing new.

Me personally, if they're gonna remove Roger, Namco might as well remove the bears too. I don't know why animal rights activists (other than PETA, but fuck them) would go after a game they ever heard of, nor cared for to begin with.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
CoCage said:
O maestre said:
maybe it is nostalgia but I miss 90's gaming, movies and music may have been shit during the 90's but games were fun with no politics.
There were politics, even back then; the difference being it was not as obvious. Remember Nintendo, and the censorship brigade? The no hitting girls rule in beat'em ups, the removal of religion, and MK1. Sega had some moments too, but nowhere near as bad. Their most confusing one was in Street of Rage 3 in changing the heroes normal colors to make them "gender neutral". It still makes no sense and I have no idea who they were trying to cater to on that one. Then there is Resident Evil 1's removing some of the violence in its live-action intro, and removed Chris smoking a cigarette. You have point of politics playing a bigger deal now, but this is nothing new.

Me personally, if they're gonna remove Roger, Namco might as well remove the bears too. I don't know why animal rights activists (other than PETA, but fuck them) would go after a game they ever heard of, nor cared for to begin with.
He's not being removed, and PETA is not an animal rights group, hell they're closer to a terrorist organization, Actual Animal Rights groups will have nothing to do with and refuse to associate with PETA

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Winnosh said:
He's not being removed, and PETA is not an animal rights group, hell they're closer to a terrorist organization, Actual Animal Rights groups will have nothing to do with and refuse to associate with PETA
1. According to the news, he is being removed when Tekken 7 reaches the States/West. In the Japanese arcade version he's still there, but that not saying much unless you plan on importing.

2. Exactly. hence when I said "fuck them".

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
CoCage said:
Winnosh said:
1. According to the news, he is being removed when Tekken 7 reaches the States/West. In the Japanese arcade version he's still there, but that not saying much unless you plan on importing.

If you're referring this recent bunch of news stories, somebody else has already pointed out that Harada has essentially confirmed he was joking and that he's had a history of claiming characters would be removed that haven't. Hence why Winnosh said he's not being removed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
TrulyBritish said:
CoCage said:
Winnosh said:

If you're referring this recent bunch of news stories, somebody else has already pointed out that Harada has essentially confirmed he was joking and that he's had a history of claiming characters would be removed that haven't. Hence why Winnosh said he's not being removed.
Okay.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
DemomanHusband said:
Um, didn't anyone check Harada's twitter?... He basically said it was a joke, even if the language barrier makes it a little hard to interpret. This is really jumping the gun.
Goddamn Harada's fabricated controversies! And this isn't the first time...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
This news makes me want that something from Australia punches Harada. He is such a troll...