Rogue One Will Never Get a Sequel

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.
Or it simply means it's a self-contained story. You don't have to kill everyone off to do that.

I'd actually be all for a Han Solo trilogy...if it was an adaptation of the Brian Daley novels. That's never going to happen, so...yeah, I agree.

God help us if Boba Fett gets his own trilogy. Freakin' Mandaboos...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Neverhoodian said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
So what you're saying is, the main protagonist and the close supporting cast are all going to die. Considering this story takes place before New Hope that isn't much of a stretch. I hope the new Star Wars movies that happen between the main numbered ones are just one-offs. We don't need a Boba Fett or Kenobi or Solo trilogy.
Or it simply means it's a self-contained story. You don't have to kill everyone off to do that.

I'd actually be all for a Han Solo trilogy...if it was an adaptation of the Brian Daley novels. That's never going to happen, so...yeah, I agree.

Which one was that again? The Han Solo series I mean. Is that the one with Bria Tharen and stuff? I can't remember if I finished it.

And heh, I was once a Mandaboo. After Karen Traviss' latest works, I realized how ridiculous all that shit was. I still think they're cool, but I hope Disney and Rebels make the Mandos a little less Mary Sue-y.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Bob_McMillan said:
Neverhoodian said:
Shoggoth2588 said:

Which one was that again? The Han Solo series I mean. Is that the one with Bria Tharen and stuff? I can't remember if I finished it.

And heh, I was once a Mandaboo. After Karen Traviss' latest works, I realized how ridiculous all that shit was. I still think they're cool, but I hope Disney and Rebels make the Mandos a little less Mary Sue-y.
No, the Daley Solo trilogy was the one that started with 1979's "Han Solo at Stars End" The Han Solo series with Bria Tharen was written in 97. And yeah I think that later series made Daley's story non-canon... and then itself was made non-canon when Disney axed the EU. So I doubt either will make it into Star Wars going forward. After all, many Bothans died to get that death star information to the Rebels. Yet I have seen only humans in Rogue One trailers so far. Where are all those dying Bothans? Even just mentioned in passing? Stormtroopers walking down a corridor and one says to the other "That burning dog hair smell never comes off your armor."

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
inu-kun said:
That's good news, though it will probably lead to the main characters cameo-ing in the main series.
That would be a bit difficult since most of the main cast of this movie would need to have cameos in movies already nearly 40 years old and they'd either be dead or so far beyond relevance in Episode 8 that it wouldn't be funny.

Fox12 said:
A lot of Bothans died getting that information.
That was Death Star II in Return of the Jedi.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
LoL. What's the difference between a sequel and a spin-off? The titling. That's about it.; So if you believe they won't milk this cash cow like every other you are mistaken.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kyrian007 said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Neverhoodian said:
No, the Daley Solo trilogy was the one that started with 1979's "Han Solo at Stars End" The Han Solo series with Bria Tharen was written in 97. And yeah I think that later series made Daley's story non-canon... and then itself was made non-canon when Disney axed the EU. So I doubt either will make it into Star Wars going forward. After all, many Bothans died to get that death star information to the Rebels. Yet I have seen only humans in Rogue One trailers so far. Where are all those dying Bothans? Even just mentioned in passing? Stormtroopers walking down a corridor and one says to the other "That burning dog hair smell never comes off your armor."
Odd, I have never heard of the Daley Solo trilogy, and I thought I had read pretty much every Star Wars book out there.

Also, you know all that, and yet you forgot that the Bothans died to get the plans for the second Death Star?

You should be ashamed, hand in your Geek Card at once!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
It's been 4 years now, and people still confuse Lucasfilm and Disney? Good job, everyone!

OT: Not surpised, these are after all stand-alone films. Rogue One pretty much ends where Episode IV starts. They could eventually do something placed between Ep IV and V with whatever survives from the first mission, but a direct sequel of any kind isn't probable or necessary. At most we could see a cameo of someone 30-40 years later in Ep VIII or IX, but yeah...

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Callate said:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well. We know the plans for the Death Star weren't something the Rebellion came by easily. We know this amazing covert operative didn't turn up later. Two and two together, and...?
The obvious conclusion is that there's going to be a "Star Wars: Even Specialer Edition" which adds all the Rogue One characters in using CGI.

Fox12 said:
I wouldn't mind more standalone films from star wars, honestly.
Absolutely. By far the biggest strength of Star Wars has always been the universe it built. Seeing the same characters and the same planets over and over again is a huge waste of the potential. Of course, this isn't just a problem for Star Wars, far too many franchises do the same thing and run familiar characters and plots into the ground when there's so much scope to show us something new. This is why the Star Wars expanded universe has always been popular, despite being most of it being little more than terribly written fan fiction; the good parts that don't just repeat the same characters show us an actual expanded universe. More stand-alone films and less endless repetition of the same characters is exactly what Star Wars needs.

HandofSet

Sep 10, 2008
They won't have a rogue one sequel because(Major spoilers):

They're already in the main storyline. We already know that the Death Star plans were transmitted, not hand delivered, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume they all died. Looking closer however, an alternative exists. We know that the Empire is big on capture and torture, however all of the prisoners we've seen have escaped. What would happen if the Empire acquired skilled but misguided individuals and no heroic escape happened?

There are five Knights of Ren, and their leader is called the Rogue.

Credit to Matpat from Film Theory for the idea.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
HandofSet said:
They won't have a rogue one sequel because(Major spoilers):

They're already in the main storyline. We already know that the Death Star plans were transmitted, not hand delivered, so it's perfectly reasonable to assume they all died. Looking closer however, an alternative exists. We know that the Empire is big on capture and torture, however all of the prisoners we've seen have escaped. What would happen if the Empire acquired skilled but misguided individuals and no heroic escape happened?

There are five Knights of Ren, and their leader is called the Rogue.

Credit to Matpat from Film Theory for the idea.
Heh. I just watched that theory last night. I don't believe it for a second, but I always enjoy watching his stuff. He makes it so fun.

Anyway, the only way this movie could get a sequel would be if it's about the Bothans that steal the plans for the second Death Star.
While I'm not expecting Disney to have the guts to kill off everyone on the mission (like what happened in the book), I will be very disappointed if pretty much all of them make it out alive. So yeah, sequel was never a thing in my mind.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
"Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel" is already a thing. Technically not a "sequel", but I'm sure they could turn it into a movie one way or another if they decided there was money to be made.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That doesn't stop surviving characters from showing up in other movies. There's plenty of time between each of the original movies. It's be easy to tell a story of people tracking down Han Solos location after Empire Strikes Back for example.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Fox12 said:
A lot of Bothans died getting that information
Wrong Death Star, I'm afraid.

And while actually having a self-contained story would be great, I'll trust Disney to not make the franchise another run-into-the-ground cash cow when I see it; they've traditionally paid very little attention to the finer sides of artistic integrity or narrative consistency.

I mean, that woman doesn't look anything like Kyle Katarn.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
honestly? that would actually be a pretty bold move in this age of ever recurring sequels and franchises, to kill them off and have the restraint not to capitalize

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
4Aces said:
Trust this, I do not.
Well, I think you can.

It technically already has a sequel.

It's called "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope".

I mean, Rogue One literally ends (I assume) 5 minutes before Ep IV starts.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ukomba said:
Rogue 2: Jan's New Groove.
Rogue 2: Electric Boogaloo

OT: I kinda thought that this was kinda the point of the concept. These would be (mostly, probably) one-off movies that would tell the story that they wanted to tell, then that would be that. I dont really think that anyone expects any/all of the Rogue One team to survive, and if they do, I don't really think that anyone expects a sequel. Maybe Jyn appears in the Boba Fett/Han Solo films, who knows, but Rogue One 2? Nah.