Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin planning to make Stargate reboot

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
How could this possibly not suck?
Continuation wise there is very little to do in the stargate universe. All the super evil super advanced super aliens are defeated, including some "gods" who run on "worship energy" or something.
Also they where about to uncover all the secrets of the universe with the "destiny" ship, which was one of the many scifi technologies /r/buyitforlife would get their panties moist for...

A new show could show you people in another galaxy, maybe the andromeda nebula because it looks kinda nice, flying on an ori ship retrofitted with asgard weapons and shields on top of the ori shields because why not.
Also they invented some living organic armor plating from the wraith ships and glued that on as well.

It's like in Star Trek voyager where a continuation would be rather boring because with all the technologies they discovered in the delta quadrant (and forgot about in the next episode) most possible problems wont be much of a problem.

A reboot would be stupid because there is very little to reboot. The story holds up as well as it did back then, which isn't saying much but still.

You'd either see most of the same story again or they'd change so much that it is hardly recognizable as "stargate" in which case one might as well make new IP and maybe have less "oddities" in the story.

I don't know what there would be to do with a stargate reboot. Have them not use CRT monitors in what later would become "stargate command"?

Chances of this not sucking are rather small...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cabisco said:
I loved stargate, I am very much in favour of more of it.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.
I must admit so am I, makes me wonder what'll next be on the list (or what the hell is left)
Well we know they're rebooting Lethal Weapon and Mad Max. We still have Indiana Jones, Predator, Hellraiser, Chucky, Candyman, Gremlins, Hostel, Saw and Resident Evil to go through. And that's off the top of my head.
They are remaking Gremlins :/.

I used to like Stargate back in the day, but after rewatching it in recent times i've started to dislike it. It's so boring and i dislike the designs. Kurt Russell is basically the only thing i like about StarGate now.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
I'm confused, how is Emmerich going to make Stargate about global warming? (see: pretty much every film he's ever made)

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
It's not a reboot and it's not a continuation.

It's not a reboot because it's two movies set after the original, i.e using the original movies themes and characters (I assume) to continue the story. It's a not a continuation because we have already had that, SG1 started right where the original movie left off, the first epsiode makes references to the locations, people and events of the movie we have already had the continuation.

Of course if the new movies were to reference the events of the TV Stargateand then use the Stargate to do a time travel reset, which it won't do because that's way to close to what happened with Star Trek, then yeah a reset reboot could be pulled off...

...however we already know that Emmerich hates what happened with the TV show, that he has no plans to reference it he is basically going to continue the story right where it left off at the end of the original movie and just pretend that the TV shows never happened.

I said it in another thread but this isn't a desire to finish some deep work of art, or make something truly brilliant or meaningful, the TV shows made so much more of the original movie than it would have ever been if the TV shows never existed. This is a pissing match, MGM got hold of the Stargate franchise, locked it down tight, Emmerich made it quite vocal that he didn't like what had become of the franchise so he had zero chance of doing whatever he wanted to do with it originally. We are now at a stage where SG has been off the air for 3 years, no one really cares beyond the die hard fans and now after 20 years Emmerich finally has a chance to do whatever it is he wants to do with the story and just to rub salt in to the wounds he is making it well known that he has no intention of referencing the SG TV shows canon.

I dunno why, the only people that will care about the new movie will be the fans, who will be more pissed at the fact that it makes no reference of the existing SG universe, it's hardly going to win any new fans because it's a direct continuation of a 20 year old movie, any one who loved the movie would have no doubt watched the show I doubt their is anyone who loved the movie but then had zero interest in the TV show sitting there thinking I sure wish they made another movie that stays strictly to the canon of the original movie and makes no reference to the expanded TV universe.

I liked the movie, I loved the TV shows ALL of them including Universe (although It needed two tries to get into) will I see the new movies? No, I, like many, wanted to see Extinction I wanted to see a TV movie that wrapped up not only the threads left by Atlantises quick ending but a movie tying up Universes end. For the cost of one of these big budget movies they could have produced both of these movies but rewarding the long term fans seems to be of less interest than spending big cash on trying to possibly win some new fans.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Well now what the fnck? They pretty much did EVERY POSSIBLE story in the serieses
The only good thing that could come from this would be the destiny