Rollercoaster Tycoon 4!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Oh... wait... NO! DON'T! ANYTHING BUT THAT!

IT'S A MOBILE GAME!

There are so many older PC titles I would kill to have a modern sequel to. And they keep ending up as super shit mobile ports.

The only solace I can find in this is the whopping 97% (as of this writing) downvote percent on the youtube video.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I clicked on this thread, flailing my arms about in joy. Why Weaver? Why would you do this to me? Why?!

Melodrama aside, someone needs a good knee to the groins. I understand the mobile market is profitable, but come on. What is it with developers screwing over their original fan-bases. Zoo Tycoon did this and now Rollercoaster tycoon is. Give me back my childhood you assholes. The only thing they could do now is announce Lego Racers 3 for mobile devices and you'll have killed my childhood completely.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Oh great Match Maker in the sky, why have you done this to us, what have we done to offend you?

OT: these things are seriously starting to piss me off. If I knew who to contact for it, I'd probably try and buy the IP to Moon Tycoon just so I could rerelease it on Steam and GOG, and maybe make an HD version. Hell, a sequel to that would be a glorified mod. Though with Steam Workshop on it... I'm getting off track. This is bad and those involved should feel bad.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Elfgore said:
I clicked on this thread, flailing my arms about in joy. Why Weaver? Why would you do this to me? Why?!

Melodrama aside, someone needs a good knee to the groins. I understand the mobile market is profitable, but come on. What is it with developers screwing over their original fan-bases. Zoo Tycoon did this and now Rollercoaster tycoon is. Give me back my childhood you assholes. The only thing they could do now is announce Lego Racers 3 for mobile devices and you'll have killed my childhood completely.
Sorry to do that to you, Elfgore. :(
I think it just hurt me so bad, it lead me to hurt others. I should have been stronger!

But yeah, it looks pretty awful.
They also made an on rails crazy taxi game recently.

I'm not sure why we can't get real sequels!

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Well, I honestly expected something like this clicking on the link. Chris Sawyer already basically told fans that 3 was it. I will say I expected this title to be paraded about without Sawyer's name attached and try to live off franchise namesake alone, but mobile... yeah, I didn't see that one coming.

Unless stated otherwise, Chris Sawyer won't be involved with any future RollerCoaster Tycoon titles. If things ever do actually turn around I have no doubt that Chris Sawyer will be paraded right alongside of RCT4... but that shit won't ever happen.

Honestly, it's time to start hoping for a spiritual successor after 3.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Another great classic rebooted with infinite wisdom into a sure to be successful mobile game!

/sarcasm

OT:

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"It's finally here!"

Oh, did somebody ask for it? Nobody's interested in bloody mobile games.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I knew it was too good to be true. Who knows, though, maybe the mobile game will be good...Yeah, I think I'm just going to go back and play the older ones. Don't want another one of my favorites being ruined for me by playing a horrible sequel.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
YOU JERK. HOW DARE YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THIS.

<bursts into hour-long fit of tears>

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
of course we're interested in mobile games. just not the ones that suck. and that aren't RCT because that just isn't going to work.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a video game announcement. Ohhhhhhhhh it hurts.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Buy one length of track: $0.06
Buy next length of track: $0.06

Want to buy a rocking pirate ship ride? That's going to be roughly six hours of ingame generated revenue and four real time days to invest in it.

Or you could buy it for $3.99 after watching this advertisement about Skylanders.

In other news, I have the Gold Edition of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 I think I'm going to reinstall.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Who's willing to bet building a decent park in this is going to cost about the same amount as buying a annual pass for you entire family for an actual theme park?

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Not only is it going to be on mobile only, but dear meaty Zeus that fuck-awful frame-rate! I had to double check to make sure my internet connection wasn't fucking up. Let's all give Atari a nice slow clap. Now everyone rise as we lower yet another butchered franchise into the ground.
And then wait for an inde dev to make a better version...hopefully

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I'll be Devil's Advocate and say that there's no reason a classic Tycoon style game couldn't work really well on mobile devices, as long as you made a nice clean UI for the reams of information running in the background.

I WILL say that a standard cow-clicker micro-transaction frenzy would be an abomination, though. And without even watching the video I'm 99.9% confident that's exactly what we've got on our hands here.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
lacktheknack said:
YOU JERK. HOW DARE YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THIS.

<bursts into hour-long fit of tears>
Yeah I'm with you on that one, hell I think I have emotional whiplash from this. Anyways care to drown your sorrows with me?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Looks like RCT1 with different graphics and a 'free to watch' (rather than free to play) model. Why won't they just make a proper PC RCT4 with good graphics and aestethics, tons of different rides and landscapes to pick from, have VR goggles support, and call THAT 'the last one'... =/ I mean, if there was ever a game that would lend itself well to devices like the Oculus Rift, it would be RCT.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Anything to get more money, right? Although I don't know if that strategy works considering no one's going to download the fucking thing since we know how microtransactions are now.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
after the whole dungeon keeper debacle it should be ILLEGAL, to reboot cherished classic PC gaming franchises as mobile games

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
First Evil Genius, then Dungeon Keeper, now this?

I don't like the way mobile gaming is killing good names.
I am not even sure how that game could work on a mobile platform without tons of content being ripped out.