Rollercoaster Tycoon - A Brilliant Ride

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Rollercoaster Tycoon - A Brilliant Ride

Rollercoaster Tycoon couples the addictive nature of a city management game with an amusement park setting and ride building mechanics that will have you spending hours designing and constructing the thrill ride of your dreams.

Read Full Article

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Another favourite of mine. I always wondered if you could get two flying cars to hit each other. While such incidents naturally lower your reputation, Dorklybits did a funny video on how you could actually drown complaining customers to improve it. Don't like my park? Say hi to the fishes! Mwahaha!

I enjoyed going to maps with infinite money and building massive super-coasters, but they always ended up being too intense for 99% of my clientele. Wusses. If Canada's Wonderland can find an audience for the Behemoth coaster, you should be able to find people who will go on anything.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I used to LOVE this game. Especially the Roman theme stuff. I used to put two Gladiator Mascots in a coliseum and say they were fighting to the death.

Also, Go-Karts are the way to success. All is right with Go-Karts.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
The RCT series is cut from the same cloth as Minecraft. If you have some creativity and ambition, then the sky is the limit. They give you all the tools you need to make something spectacular. But, it can get a bit grindy, and a bit monotonous if you don't like trying new things.

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked the latest version (RCT 3) the best, especially with the Soaked! and Wild! expansions. But the original is still a great game in its own right.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Another great game reviewed, will have to boot up my copy sometime. Sad to hear the reviews are being cut down though, critical Intel is already doing the commentary of gaming with some history thrown in, why not look as a separate series rather than cut into this unique one?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Maybe it's because I played it first, but I always liked 'Theme Park Roller Coaster' for the PS2 more.

RCT isn't a 'bad' game, it's just not as much of a classic as it for some people.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Rollercoaster tycoon and Transport Tycoon, two great games made from the same engine. Maybe its time to go back to that blocky yet simply and powerful building tools from those early tycoon games and make some new games out of them?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
WhiteFangofWar said:
I enjoyed going to maps with infinite money and building massive super-coasters, but they always ended up being too intense for 99% of my clientele. Wusses. If Canada's Wonderland can find an audience for the Behemoth coaster, you should be able to find people who will go on anything.
I am one of those self-confessed wusses who hates rollercoasters but even I looked at some of my designs and thought my customers were just being wimps. It's amazing how low-key you have to keep the most exciting element of your park just so people will ride it. I understand the need to strike a balance to stop it being too easy but I always thought the 'coasters were a little off with regards to intensity levels. That would be about my only gripe with this amazing game that I can still lose hours to today.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The best part of the series is torturing your customers as much as possible.

Say hi to Mr. Bones my friends!

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
The best part of the series is torturing your customers as much as possible.

Say hi to Mr. Bones my friends!
"I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride!"

Ahhh, good times indeed. Best old meme on the internet ever. Torturing the guests in RCT1 was ever so fun!

Avaholic03 said:
The RCT series is cut from the same cloth as Minecraft. If you have some creativity and ambition, then the sky is the limit. They give you all the tools you need to make something spectacular. But, it can get a bit grindy, and a bit monotonous if you don't like trying new things.

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked the latest version (RCT 3) the best, especially with the Soaked! and Wild! expansions. But the original is still a great game in its own right.
I agree, while I thoroughly enjoyed RCT, I have continually come back to RCT3 again and again and again, the 3D graphics, while not well-aged, make for more interesting, immersive parks, and the ride cameras also add a TON of fun to the game. I recall days when me and my best friend hung out late at night, and by hang out, I mean me and my friend would just hang in the same room and design parks all night long. Seriously.

I ended up with a dastardly creation called "Foreverland", a custom scenario/park named because all the rides take forever. You had to climb a pyramid round and round to get to food. There was a rollercoaster that goes around a short 100ft loop.... 50 times. I built a highrise with an elevator that would climb the whole thing at 2mph. Unfortunately my hard drive crashed on that laptop so I never got to save that park. I don't have all the levels unlocked on my newest rig, but slowly and surely I will. If I don't cheat first.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
The most impressive thing to me about RCT is that Chris Sawyer wrote it entirely in Assembly. Over 100,000 lines. That nets some serious respect from me.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Sleekit said:
Griffolion said:
The most impressive thing to me about RCT is that Chris Sawyer wrote it entirely in Assembly. Over 100,000 lines. That nets some serious respect from me.
its also smooth as butter.

"that's what you call a game developer".
Yeah. Back then there would have been a serious performance incentive to do that as opposed to today. Modern compilers like GCC do really well at optimising higher level code like C/C++ into Assembly, almost negating the performance advantage of performing software engineering at the assembly level in the first place.

That said, the game is just so damn fun as well!