Romance in Games that you thought was Well Executed

telocaster

Aug 12, 2011
I know a lot of people have never played it and odds are never will, but the relationship and development of Emil and Marta is surprisingly well handled in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. You see the characters learn about one another and grow close to each other.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Farrah and the Prince! It's just such a magical tale of love and betrayal that you can't help but be moved a little by it.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The Freedom ending to Catherine. Now that was a fine example of romance.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Monkey and Trip from Enslaved.

At the beginning, she leaves him behind to die, and he threatens to kill her. It's past the end of the world, everyone is dead, slavers and robots are trying to kill them at every turn, yet still despite all of that they find love. It's an excellent example of "life endures".

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Seconding Farrah and the Prince. But not in Two Thrones. That game butchered Farrah's character.

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
skywolfblue said:

At the beginning, she leaves him behind to die, and he threatens to kill her. It's past the end of the world, everyone is dead, slavers and robots are trying to kill them at every turn, yet still despite all of that they find love. It's an excellent example of "life endures".
I was annoyed when she offered to remove the headband and Monkey said no. WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU AGREE TO REMOVE IT AND HELP HER IN FREE WILL??!!!!?!!?!?!?!?1111 God I wanted to slap him so bad.

Personally I haven't noticed any love stories. Mainly because I care little for game story (they are that bad) and don't feel anything for the characters. Most of the time love stories annoy the hell out of me - pixels getting down /facepalm. And if there's tons of getting down with nudity like in The Witcher... Really? Is this game for virgin 14 year old boys raging with hormones?

Lucas Nolting

Jul 11, 2011
They weren't always perfect but the social links in Persona 3/4 were usually well written/localized.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
deviltry said:
skywolfblue said:

I was annoyed when she offered to remove the headband and Monkey said no. WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU AGREE TO REMOVE IT AND HELP HER IN FREE WILL??!!!!?!!?!?!?!?1111 God I wanted to slap him so bad.
My guess is he's afraid that if he takes the headband off he'll slip back into his old life (alone, not caring for those around him). Perhaps not a very rational choice, but love rarely is.

I did want to smack him upside the head at the very end. They come all this way, and instead of doing what's needed he blatantly disregards her advise and stares into the mask like a dumb idiot. Leaving Trip to do the right thing all by herself.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Junpei and Chidori in Persona 3. /thread

For how many flaws I pick on that game for, the characters are all pretty damn awesome. Such a shame the party AI and lack of fucks given by the main character fucks the whole game up for me.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Cliche as it is, the relationship between Freeman and Alyx out of HL2.

It smacks of the whole "young folk in love" theme, primarily form the constant pushings of Vance's father.

I tought it was impressively satisfying.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I agree that the character development in Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World was good.

However I think I'll have to say I liked Tales of the Abyss better when it comes to romance plot lines.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Tidus and Yuna. Seriously, I thought it was really well done. And made me shed a single manly tear at the ending.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Jackie and Jenny in The Darkness.

In one short, simple scene their relationship is made more believable than 99% of video game romances.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Ethan Mars and Madison Paige from Heavy Rain. BAHAHA oh who am I kidding that couldn't have been more forced if it had been written by somebody actually competent...

OK, for real: Jackie Estacado and Jenny Romano from the Darkness games. Pretty much the only games in history where the Main Character's love is actually an effective motive for the entire story.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
rosac said:
Tidus and Yuna. Seriously, I thought it was really well done. And made me shed a single manly tear at the ending.
I am honestly surprised it took 14 posts before somebody mentioned this, it was the first one that sprung to mind for me. Other than that, I can't really think of any others that stuck out for me. Romance in games is generally pretty poor.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
deviltry said:
skywolfblue said:

Personally I haven't noticed any love stories. Mainly because I care little for game story (they are that bad) and don't feel anything for the characters. Most of the time love stories annoy the hell out of me - pixels getting down /facepalm. And if there's tons of getting down with nudity like in The Witcher... Really? Is this game for virgin 14 year old boys raging with hormones?
well if he removed the head band he would lose the heads up display and the ability to upgrade his stuff, so it was totally worth keeping on.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
For me it's romance options in Dragon Age: Origins. Characters were all very likeable, and the fact that the protagonist is a mute character that can represent you made it infinitely more immersive. I love that game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I actually like Nathan Drake/Elena. The dialogue was charming although it went weird in Uncharted 3

Diablo2000 said:
John and River in To The Moon, this game is beatiful, simply beatiful...
/thread. But incredibly sad, in some ways they ended up wasting their whole lives.

If anyone has played Quintessence (freeware RPG by To The Moon people except it's not really an RPG because its pure story) there's a really touching heart wrenching one sided romance going on there