Ronda Rousey Wants to Play Samus in Possible Metroid Movie

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Ronda Rousey Wants to Play Samus in Possible Metroid Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1287/1287519.png

The UFC star is angling to portray one of Nintendo's baddest babes, but does she fit the bill?

By day, former UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey may be known as the one of the baddest women on the planet, but by night, she's also been amassing a decent little IMDB profile to her credit. She picked up minor roles in The Expendables 3 and Furious 7 that demonstrated her time-tested ability to whoop ass. She portrayed a heightened version of herself in the Entourage movie. She even tried her hand at comedy with a hosting gig on Saturday Night Live last month, and is set to star in an all-female reboot of Road House, quite possibly the most unintentionally hilarious movie ever made. The girl's got range.

Of course, one thing that Rousey also happens to be is a gamer, having [http://gamerant.com/ronda-rousey-pokemon-reddit-312/] (obviously) in the past and having even been a former moderator on a Pokemon forum. (FWIW, she would totally fight one Mew-sized Mewtwo over 100 Mewtwo-sized Mews if given the option.)

With all that in mind, Rousey was recently asked by GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ronda-rousey-interview-ive-always-wanted-to-be-sam/1100-6434942/] which video game character she could see herself portraying on the big screen. Her answer?

I've always wanted to be Samus. That would be badass. I love how people found out later that it was a hot chick on the inside. And then most of the day you're in a suit, so you can just hang out and eat donuts and be the star of Metroid. I hope they make a movie out of that.

Having sold 17 million copies over the course of its 11 games, Metroid is easily one of Nintendo's most successful (not to mention, critically-beloved) franchises. For those thinking that the possibility of a Metroid movie would be a longshot at best, you need only refer to what Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto said back in August [http://collider.com/new-nintendo-movie-details-from-shigeru-miyamoto/] about the future of the company.

"As we look more broadly at what is Nintendo's role as an entertainment company, we're starting to think more and more about how movies can fit in with that-and we'll potentially be looking at things like movies in the future," said Miyamoto in a statement.

Given the success of the Metroid series and the name value of Rousey, one would think that the two would be a perfect fit for one another. It's not as if the role of Samus would require a great degree of acting skill -- the character spends the vast majority of the games stuffed into a robotic suit and helmet, for starters -- but what do you think? Would Rousey make for a fitting Samus, and if not, who do you think would?

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ronda-rousey-interview-ive-always-wanted-to-be-sam/1100-6434942/]

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
You know, I'm completely fine with this. I haven't actually seen any of the stuff she's acted in, but if Nintendo has learned from past mistakes like Other M (for the love of god, don't let Samus talk if your script-writer is a completely inept hack) then it'd probably be fine.

I'd love to see a more rough-and-tumble Samus myself. The kind of lady who walks into dingy, dangerous alien bars just because she can, and space-Jesus help whoever tries to tell her she's not welcome. I'd love for her to actually act like a bounty hunter who lives on the edge of civilized space, who probably knows more aliens than actual members of her own species... not some dull, droning anime-princess who has to go into an overly-dramatic soliloquy to tell us she feels bad (seriously, fuck Other M and its hack of a writer).

I think Scarlett Johansson could actually pull it off too. If Marvel isn't ever going to give her a Black Widow movie, I think she could make a decent Samus. She's got the whole badass and not having any of your shit angle down from her time as Widow, anyway.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Scared me for a second there, i thought this was going to announce an actual Metroid movie. All i could think was "for the love of god, don't involve babies or motherhood in the plot!" It's a relief to hear this is just a person's dreamy ramblings.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Nintendo wouldn't allow it and I'm really glad because Samus, like Link are intended to be player avatars.

A movie would be an abysmal choice, plus considering the state of modern Hollywood there would be far to many fingers in the pot, Nintendo would limit creative control and there would obviously be some sort of feminist angle despite Metroid being set in the distant future and Samus being raised by ancient bird aliens. I'm really glad Nintendo of Japan is isolationist as it is, if there's any proof that the West would shit all over the concept of Metroid and Samus the CGI test footage of a Legend of Zelda cartoon/movie is still floating around on Youtube.

Also while I'm here fuck Nintendo of America's Treehouse crew.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I dunno. A Samus with only 1 health-point and a tendency to have massive emotional breakdowns after defeats...doesn't exactly scream intergalactic badass bounty hunter to me.

Might as well cast Jason Biggs as Simon Belmont or Nick Jonas as Link.
Doesn't exactly feel right, does it?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, Rousey might've been in all of those things, but she was also one of the worst parts of all of those things. No.

"But you can just stick a helmet on her and, therefore, her completely lack of acting talent won't be noticed!"

Then you hire someone 10x cheaper, because at that point you have no reason to hire Rousey.

You would be better off hiring Summer Rae to play Samus.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
The problem with Metroid is that its too "video-gamey" to make any kind of narritive focused movie out of it.

I mean what are we gonna see Samus shoot doors to open them?

Zelda has the same problem but less so. The way I see it is to make link explore just 1 dungeon in a movie like story to collect whatever McGuffin.

Mario is very possible because of how Transformative his games have been. I mean he's been in every genre.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Marter said:
Yeah, Rousey might've been in all of those things, but she was also one of the worst parts of all of those things. No.

"But you can just stick a helmet on her and, therefore, her completely lack of acting talent won't be noticed!"

Then you hire someone 10x cheaper, because at that point you have no reason to hire Rousey.

You would be better off hiring Summer Rae to play Samus.
She was decent in The Expendables 3. Of the newbie squad, she was easily the least terrible character. The "I'm emo cause I'm emotionally distant" character needed to have been played by Luke Perry or Christian Slater. The BMX dude didn't have nearly enough AXE bodyspray or spray tan for the level of douchebag that oozed from him.

Silentpony said:
I dunno. A Samus with only 1 health-point and a tendency to have massive emotional breakdowns after defeats...doesn't exactly scream intergalactic badass bounty hunter to me.

Might as well cast Jason Biggs as Simon Belmont or Nick Jonas as Link.
Doesn't exactly feel right, does it?
Pretty brave behind the monitor.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Pfffft! She'd be better cast as Marcus Fenix.

Or perhaps somebody who fails all the time. Carmine maybe?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Marter said:
Pretty much this. She's had what, 3 movie roles? One of which was herself, and she was terrible in all of them. She can't act to save her life, why does she and a lot of other people keep naming her as a person who should play "character X". For god sake I've seen people ask for her to be Captain Marvel in the Captain Marvel movie. Because having her in Marvel's first big budget movie staring a women instead of a good actress who can pull off the role is a great idea in some people's minds.

Sorry Rousey, unless you take a few acting lessens stick to the ring, you're just not cut out for acting with your skills.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
At first I was ready to cringe hard at the idea of a Metroid movie, until I realized "possible Metroid movie" is actually code for "person on the internet talked about a thing they might want". Yeah, in other breaking news, I've just run out of milk.

As for this "possible" movie, I wouldn't have high hopes. It's not that these sorts of things can't be done well, it's just that, well, they don't exactly have a stellar track record. Metroid has a lot of lore, but it's never really had much in the way of a strong narrative beyond "Samus runs around an alien world collecting stuff."
The insane balancing act between remaining faithful to a game's established style and lore, and making something that works as a movie, has always been so shaky that I'm left wondering why anyone even bothers (name recognition, obviously). You'll get a far better movie if you sit down and start writing the story as a movie, rather than forcing a pre-existing game to awkwardly act like a movie.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
It seems like it would be a lot less effort on Hollywood's part to give her a bit-role in "Starship Troopers 4: Yes, We're Still Making These".
Or, if they want something that has a chance of succeeding, How about an '80s style animated series where Ms. Rousey leads a team of ethnically diverse martial artists on a crusade against some non-specific terrorist organization. Bonus points if they have largely superfluous, but highly marketable accessories.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Someone who's got some muscle playing Samus as opposed to a super model?

I'm game.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Broslinger said:
Samus is a role for winners.
Judo Olympian at Age 17 (youngest ever)
World Judo Championship Gold Medal
Multiple Judo medals overall
Olympic Bronze Medalist
12-1 MMA Record, with 11 wins coming in the first round.
3 time World MMA Female Fighter of the Year
Multiple defenses of UFC Women's Bantamweight Title

Yeah, she's a total loser.