Ronin Review - Lacking in Ninja-like Precision

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ronin Review - Lacking in Ninja-like Precision

Ronin attempts a 2D "Ninja platformer" in the vein of Gunpoint, but lacks the ninja-like precision required.

Read Full Article

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Oh dear lord. No wonder I couldn't jump where I wanted to. I was holding down left click and dragging to where I wanted to jump, and that wasn't working at all. I thought the controls were broken, but it turns out they were just awkward.

I will say that, jumping issues aside, I do like the game. Not "Game of the Year" like the game, but it's a fun enough little game, and the price of entry(it's on sale right now on Steam) is about right. It's a nice game for when you don't want anything too stressful(it's turn based) but are looking for something more involved than Angry Birds or whatever the mobile kids are playing these days.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I just want to clarify but it's definitely Ninjas and not Samurai, yeah? Brb, i'm off to grab my mitt and baseball and play some soccer with the boy.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
This game leaves me torn. I love the combat and don't mind the lack of stealth (it seems to me it was the gamers, not the dev, who decided the main character is a ninja- not, you know, a ronin- and that this game is a stealth game), but the lack of precision in the controls is frustrating and such a fundamental problem. The gameplay screams for level design to match it in terms of providing the player with choice. You'll have a handful of possible actions every turn of combat, but only one or two paths through a level, which in turn reduces the number of "correct" choices in combat.
Those hints are a slap in the face, too: They're useless, there's no option to disable them, and the update logs state- twice- that hints have been made more helpful, as well as "hints have been disabled- just kidding, you will never get rid of hints :)". This should give you an indication as to the dev's attitude toward its customers, as well as why they spent a month in Early Access to tweak the game based on community feedback and still didn't fix the most fundamental flaws with the game.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
That's such a shame. It looked really good in it's previews.

Well, off the wishlist it goes. I wouldn't have the patience.