Rooster Teeth is shutting down

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm not surprised. Management has been a mess behind the scenes for years. I wish the best for the crew, especially the VAs, however.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Rooster Teeths height of popularity was right around the time when I was a married guy doing married things because society told me when you're an adult you have to spend all your time buying and fixing up a house and working and visiting inlaws for awkward dinners that no one wants to be at. I was consciously aware of RVB and thought it quite funny, but never "subscribed". Eventually I became aware that the internet liked something called RWBY, but I saw about 5 minutes of it and went -

clint-eastwood-cry.gif

Anyhoo that ends my presentation of what I know about Rooster Teeth.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rooster Teeths height of popularity was right around the time when I was a married guy doing married things because society told me when you're an adult you have to spend all your time buying and fixing up a house and working and visiting inlaws for awkward dinners that no one wants to be at. I was consciously aware of RVB and thought it quite funny, but never "subscribed". Eventually I became aware that the internet liked something called RWBY, but I saw about 5 minutes of it and went -

View attachment 10792

Anyhoo that ends my presentation of what I know about Rooster Teeth.
The first time I ever heard of Rooster Teeth was around 2005. RWBY started when I was in my early twenties, but I knew of the guy Monty Oum, from his Dead Fantasy fan videos back in the late 2000s. A lot of which was featured on the then Game Trailers website. I was glad he had his own show, but it was not for me. I do like the character designs though. It sucks he died on the operating table. At this point the series has just been dragging along through. If it ever does get bought, they should just do a 10th season and everything. It's been dragged on long enough.

Before that I did watch some Red vs. Blue, and their spin-off series PANICS. The one that took place in the FEAR universe and use the same engine as the first game. It was a one time thing. Other than that, Rooster teeth introduced me to Matt, Pat, and Woolie. All who left to form Two Best Friends at the time. Then they eventually all split off, though Woolie and Pat still see and talk to each other.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
YouTube Sailor Moon, right?
Not really. I wouldn't call RWBY "YouTube Sailor Moon". Aside from the core group being composed of an all female team, they're almost nothing alike. There are severa familiar anime tropes, but once again the show, was inspired by several different types of anime and Japanese action games. Some live action movies too. Monty has more than admitted this several times.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I discovered Rooster Teeth a lot later than you guys. It was in 2014 when I first watched RWBY.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A thread about Rooster Teeth and people are talking about RWBY and not Red Vs Blue? Why?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A thread about Rooster Teeth and people are talking about RWBY and not Red Vs Blue? Why?
I did mention Red Versus Blue. Keep in mind though, I wasn't a hardcore fan. I watched two seasons and that was it for me really. Even then, I only watched it because it was my first year in college and I met a guy who was watching it on his laptop. I knew about it in 2005, but it really start watching it until 2007. For that point, it was just a few clips here and there. My big Rooster Teeth memories are early stuff from Matt, Pat, and Woolie.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I did mention Red Versus Blue. Keep in mind though, I wasn't a hardcore fan. I watched two seasons and that was it for me really. Even then, I only watched it because it was my first year in college and I met a guy who was watching it on his laptop. I knew about it in 2005, but it really start watching it until 2007. For that point, it was just a few clips here and there. My big Rooster Teeth memories are early stuff from Matt, Pat, and Woolie.
I think I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of RvB. Was pretty good. But, the best thing rooster teeth ever did was this.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Rooster Teeth has been circling the drain for years. A lot of the old talent that made the shows good is gone, and a lot of them are gone because it turned out that they were abusive or sex pests, or both. There's been plenty of stories about how the workforce outside of the core "on screen" talent was heavily overworked and underpaid, and how there was bullying of lgbt co-workers.

Rooster Teeth really was a microcosm of the entertainment industry as a whole. People went to work there because they were passionate, and that passion was exploited. The exploitation and abuse was swept under the rug and covered up by a fake veneer of fun. For every video where Gus, Burnie, Gavin, Barbara, and Blaine were having fun antics the production staff were working 80 hour weeks and barely making enough for rent. I've worked with some people who previously worked at Rooster Teeth, I know a lot of these stories are true.

I was a fan of the company in 2007, but by 2016 I was pretty ready to see the whole thing shut down. Between the rapidly declining quality and the rapidly increased production (if you were subscribed to Rooster Teeth and Let's Play, and the side channels for both of those main channels on youtube you were getting flooded by like 20+ videos a day most of which were completely no effort, to appease the youtube algorithm) trying to dig through their deluge of crap to find "the good part" was exhausting.

There are apparently 19 seasons of Red Vs Blue. Fucking 19. I stopped watching 9 seasons ago, and by that time the show had already jumped the shark. I have no idea who was still watching. Also, RWBY is fucking cringe.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was a fan of the company in 2007, but by 2016 I was pretty ready to see the whole thing shut down. Between the rapidly declining quality and the rapidly increased production (if you were subscribed to Rooster Teeth and Let's Play, and the side channels for both of those main channels on youtube you were getting flooded by like 20+ videos a day most of which were completely no effort, to appease the youtube algorithm) trying to dig through their deluge of crap to find "the good part" was exhausting.
I used to watch a lot of their minecraft lets plays, I stopped when they started putting in a lot ad reads. I just remember seeing one video and I think it was sponsored by turtle rock or something and they just kept going on and on about how much they loved these head phones or something. Stopped watching after that.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Joined RT around 2011, from their series "Fails of the week" I had just gotten into Halo Reach, so all the hilarious situations were funny and relatable. And for the next few years, I enjoyed all their content.

Then Monty passed away in 2015, and I feel this was the beginning of the slow downfall. IDK I felt heartbroken to everyone who knew him, but it was like no one really "got over" his death (feel terrible for saying that) amd things spiraled out of control. I definnitely found their animation content in particular to be not as enjoyable.

The final straw for me was in 2019, when one of their VAs Vic Mignogna had sexual allegations against him, and they cut him off without even hearing what had happened. Turns out it was some over-dramatic accounts of the apparent "victim", yet RT never apologized or offered his role back. Monica Rial, another VA, went on a smear campaign long after the allegations were cleared. yet RT didn't do shit about it. That's when I just stopped watching their content.

Strangely, all I heard from RT were crappy stuff after this, and I had a feeling this was bound to happen. Kinda feels bad to see this happen, though

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I used to watch a lot of their minecraft lets plays, I stopped when they started putting in a lot ad reads. I just remember seeing one video and I think it was sponsored by turtle rock or something and they just kept going on and on about how much they loved these head phones or something. Stopped watching after that.
Joined RT around 2011, from their series "Fails of the week" I had just gotten into Halo Reach, so all the hilarious situations were funny and relatable. And for the next few years, I enjoyed all their content.

Then Monty passed away in 2015, and I feel this was the beginning of the slow downfall. IDK I felt heartbroken to everyone who knew him, but it was like no one really "got over" his death (feel terrible for saying that) amd things spiraled out of control. I definnitely found their animation content in particular to be not as enjoyable.

The final straw for me was in 2019, when one of their VAs Vic Mignogna had sexual allegations against him, and they cut him off without even hearing what had happened. Turns out it was some over-dramatic accounts of the apparent "victim", yet RT never apologized or offered his role back. Monica Rial, another VA, went on a smear campaign long after the allegations were cleared. yet RT didn't do shit about it. That's when I just stopped watching their content.

Strangely, all I heard from RT were crappy stuff after this, and I had a feeling this was bound to happen. Kinda feels bad to see this happen, though
I never subscribed to RT, but I did bookmark them for a good minute back in 2011. Mainly for Matt and Pat. Once they announced leaving and forming their own channels, I saw no need to be keep RT bookmarked anymore. 2013 was around I removed the bookmark and never looked back.

This was more than likely many people's first exposure to Monty Oum. Me being one of them.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I never subscribed to RT, but I did bookmark them for a good minute back in 2011. Mainly for Matt and Pat. Once they announced leaving and forming their own channels, I saw no need to be keep RT bookmarked anymore. 2013 was around I removed the bookmark and never looked back.
Also to give where credit is due, RT lasted far longer than other gaming-related content creators, namely Machinima.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Funny enough, Matt and Pat partnered with them briefly before going to RT.
Yeah, I remeber TBFP being uploaded to Machinima. Good times.

RT also managed to bring Inside Gaming crew together after Machinima fell, which I thought was awesome. Too bad one of them was part of that nude dm fiasco

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Funny enough, Matt and Pat partnered with them briefly before going to RT.
Pretty sure they worked with Machinima way longer than they were with Rooster Teeth. They made videos for Machinima for 7 years from 2010 to 2017.