Rose Reviews: Sailor Moon Crystal

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Act 7: Mamoru Chiba - Tuxedo Mask

We open with Usagi and Mamoru talking. Which is oddly ordered because Usagi talks about events that Tux witnesses as if Mamoru would know what she was talking about before she picks up the mask and wonders how she didn't realize who he was earlier.

After the credits, Usagi asks for some backstory. It amuses me that the off-the-cliff bit and the waking up in the hospital afterwards looks almost identical to the original anime. Even the red screen of doom. Still no explanation why his parents drove off a cliff.

Also, translation error.

"Just one word: "Legendary Silver Crystal."

That's THREE WORDS! Yes, in Japanese, is it one compound word. However, it isn't in the translation - therefore the translation should match.

Anyway, after that, Mamoru asks if Usagi will trust him. She wants to, but she hesitates, remembering Luna's warning that he might be an enemy. She then visibly comes to a carefully considered decision and says "I believe you." Nicely done! Rather than Usagi coming off as naive, she instead appears thoughtful.

There's also a nice moment where Mamoru nicknames her Usako shortly thereafter (while handing her her bag).

OH! And instead of Luna talking to Artemis in the computer lab, she's clearly talking to Sailor Venus! Awesome!

Meanwhile, Beryl needs to visit Metalia, who is now stored behind a massive door of doom. So far so standard until we get a Beryl flashback. It seems... similar to the manga, but not the same, since Beryl already had pointy claw nails (not usually found on archeologists).

And suddenly, DVD rental shop. No, wait, the DARK DVD Rental shop. .... To once again paraphrase Shadowjack, "Ackbar's Totally Not Suspicious DVD rental shop".

The next day, Usagi, Ami, and Makoto are researching Sailor V. I... won't go into Dark Umino. Just no.

I will note my amusement that Usagi has no idea how she got the watch in this version. At least she isn't a random kleptomaniac this time.

Mamoru, however, is. Usagi can't find her handkerchief because Mamrou stole it and is busy sniffing it. I wish I was kidding.

Meanwhile, Naru has been brainwashed. Along with the rest of the class. And everyone has DARK DVDs. Usagi grabs one and - after checking the manga to make sure we were on track - she heads to the arcade to test it out. Just like the DARK VHS tapes in the manga, the Sailor V game rejects the DARK DVD and then Sailor V appears on screen to tell Sailor Moon to get her butt in gear and deal with the brainwashing DVDs. This sequence actually makes far MORE sense with DVDs than it did with VHS tapes (even manga Usagi is like "what? VHS tape in a video game? That makes no sense!")

Meanwhile, Mamoru is on a bus. And everyone else on the train is brainwashed. Damn - did EVERYONE rent a DVD the previous evening? I'm serious - literally the entire population of Tokyo appears to have been affected.

Also, random thought - Zoicite has really pretty green eyes. ... what?

Anyway, Usagi heals everyone (again, the entire population of Tokyo) with Moon Healing Escalation. However, it was a trap - Zoicite shows up and starts choking Usagi. Also - nice touch - we get some alternative animations for their attacks to cut down on stock footage. Usagi prays for Tuxedo Mask to help her (just like in the manga) and then -

TUXEDO MASK PUNCHES ZOICITE IN THE FUCKING FACE!!!

That wasn't in the manga. In the manga, Tux stands around being useless this entire scene. That was godsdamned epic!

Mamoru tries to go for number two, but Zoicite blasts him across the room. Which is still way more awesome than him being useless in the manga. Plus, Mamoru says that his true wish isn't to get the crystal, but is ... Usako.

Um... to protect her? To sleep with her? To become her? You need to be a bit more specific Mamoru.

And then Zoicite summons up one of those giant Ice spikes like Beryl used in the original anime, except wider (and bluer) and intends to.... Well, I think he's supposed to impale Usagi with it, but considering the size of the thing, it is more likely to slice Usagi in half than actually "stab" her. Clearly Crystal Zoicite doesn't fuck around.

And thaat's when V-chan shatters it with her crescent boomerang from the Sailor V manga. Because FUCK YEAH SAILOR V!

Sailor V also hits Zoicite with an attack, which wounds Zoicite rather than cutting him into small pieces as in the manga.

And, once again, Sailor V has Revlon Wind. Because Sailor V is just that awesome.

Ahem.

Next Time: Act 8 - Minako - Sailor V.

They took moment to spoil Sailor V's transformation and it is FUCKING EPIC!!! I realize I've used the words Epic several times this review, but... this episode and the preview for the next are really damn exciting. I loved the way they handled this episode (removing entirely the force bubble thing from the manga and the equivalent episode from the original anime) and instead had Zoicite and Mamoru both be more awesome.

And... well, everyone here already knows I love Sailor V. What I've seen has not disappointed me.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
No one's posted since last review? Um, okay then... on to Episode 8.

Act 8: Minako - Sailor V.

Sailor V stands on a building and introduces herself (as Sailor V) before Artemis does the public announcer thing and proclaims her the Moon Princess. So far so standard. Except... have I mentioned that she's standing on a 10 story building, the senshi can see her clearly enough to make out minor details about her backlit costume and note the color of her mask? And the crescent mark on her forehead? And, the entire time, Sailor V looks completely fucking EPIC?

I FUCKING LOVE SAILOR V!!!

After the opening credits, Usagi gets her need tiara. And then Zoicite reminds us all that he's still alive before buggering off. And then Tuxedo Mask reminds us that he's there before running off. He may or may not be dealing with a wound from being blasted across the area by Zoicite last episode.

Sailor V drops down to street level and says hi to everyone before de-transforming in front of everyone. The de-transformation (which didn't show up in the original anime until season 3) is way more involved and looks quite nice. I don't remember if she does that in the manga because the manga is in the other room and I don't want to spoil my viewing of this episode by doing a scene-for-scene check to see how it differs from the manga this episode. I want to simply sit back and enjoy the experience.

Have I mentioned lately that I love Sailor V? Favorite character bar none.

Once they arrive in the arcade, we are treated to a full Sailor V flashback, in the Sailor V costume. She explains the plot and backstory up to this point. And, once she's done, everyone pledges their loyalty and friendship. Daww.

Minako and Artemis the have a faux-cryptic conversation since, well, we've read the manga and seen the original anime.

After the eye-catch, Usagi has a dream about the final battle on the Moon. Neat! Usagi notes that "Endymion" was calling her "Princess Serenity"... she doesn't seem to associate this with the Princess that Sailor V is. Odd.

Usagi then bumps into Mamo-chan. She tries to return the watch to him, but he tells her to keep it. I... think that happened in the manga, but it certainly didn't in the anime (making Usagi look like a bit of a klepto). Meanwhile, Luna and Artemis have a conversation about responsibilities and Artemis offers to unseal her memory! That's different - I think.

Meanwhile, in the Dark Kingdom, Kunzite is hitting on Queen Beryl. Kay.

Then Kunzite contacts Minako via psychic powers. He invites her to battle in Tokyo Tower (which I believe is accurate to the manga). Before she can go, she bumps into the others (who invite her out to dinner) but she runs off without them to battle Kunzite. Kunzite, meanwhile, causes a power outage for... some reason? Oh. Apparently he's draining energy from everyone in the radius of the power outage. ... somehow? Whatever.

And then Sailor V transforms.

I was wrong. The preview didn't do it justice. BEST TRANSFORMATION EVER!!!

I do not have the words to do the beauty of Sailor V's transformation sequence justice. It looks absolutely incredible. It is perfect, both in its referential tribute to the original anime and in its ability to capture Minako's personality.

Now I need to watch it again because it is just so damn pretty.

V and Kunzite do battle. He blocks her attack, she blocks his (although is shoves her back a ways). And then V tries to remind Kunzite who he really is! OH MY!! It looks like we're going to do THAT plotline from Pretty Guardian. I am very much up for that!

Anyway, Beryl interrupts that to tell him to kill her, but before he can (try), Usagi et al use a... green bubble... to fly up onto Tokyo Tower to join the battle. It kind of looks like Sailor Teleport, but... less so.

Sailor V tells everyone to leave, but Sailor Moon takes the lead. V tells Moon it's too dangerous, but Usagi - who starts to call her Princess, but then switches over to simply Minako-chan (nice touch - perfect for Usagi's personality) - tells her that they will all support her. Everyone has a friendship speech - and then Kunzite attacks.

The Inners all unleash their attacks, but his shield holds. Kunzite mocks them, but it was a trick - Usagi was getting behind him to for a back-attack (which, as we all knows, deals extra damage). Kunzite still manages to block, and Usagi is knocked off the tower (which is odd, because she seemed to be flying a moment ago). Tuxedo Mask catches her - and Usagi kisses him. The camera man and Tux seem to find this very significant, but Usagi just dashes back to the battle like she kisses handsome men all the time.

Fuck yeah Usagi!

Kunzite has trapped the others (including V) in a force bubble and is about to... I'm not sure, really, since the force bubble blocks all attacks. Maybe he plans to drop it at the last second so his attack will hit? The same attack that V blocked earlier without so much as mussing her hair.

Well, whatever. Usagi is feeling heroic, so she jumps between them and gets ready to block. Again, V blocked it with no problem (and Usagi appears to be flying again), and Usagi is clearly ready and waiting to block this one, but Tuxedo Mask decides that this is his cue to throw himself in front of the blast. His block method involves his arms thrown to the side (instead of crossed in front of him as both Minako and Usagi did) and basically letting Kunzite blast him full in the face. I guess his thin vinyl mask will protect him? Oh, wait, no, it fell off.

Seriously, Tux - let the girls who've taken Full BAB classes take the hits. You're a stealth type - stick with sneak attacks and flank attacks.

To be Continued.

Next Time: Everyone reacts dramatically to Mamoru going "oh god, my face!"

Just kidding. He's unconscious. They're reacting to Usagi's reaction to his horrible, horrible wounds that he acquired while leaping in front of - but not blocking - an attack Usagi was prepared to block.

Mamoru "Tuxedo Mask" Chiba - always an idiot.

Also known as Act 9 - Serenity - Princess.

Momo_Risu

Oct 27, 2014
Waahh awesome :D I hope you continue these ^-^ You bring up a lot of good points and your reviews are just generally funny.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Momo_Risu said:
Waahh awesome :D I hope you continue these ^-^ You bring up a lot of good points and your reviews are just generally funny.
^^ Thanks!

Also, nice Makoto avatar!

I've reviewed some other stuff too. If you like my review style, just search for Rose Reviews and they should all pop up.

Momo_Risu

Oct 27, 2014
Bara_no_Hime said:
Momo_Risu said:
^^ Thanks!

Also, nice Makoto avatar!

I've reviewed some other stuff too. If you like my review style, just search for Rose Reviews and they should all pop up.
No problem :)

And thank you!

Awesome :) I'll definitely check those out sometime ^^

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Act 9 - Serenity - Princess

We begin with a recap - from Mamoru's POV. Which cuts into a flashback. Neat! And then Mamoru dies.

Cheerful Opening Credits!

Oh - once again, I haven't pulled out the manga for a side-by-side. That was getting to be a little too much pause-and-compare. It's more fun to just watch and respond.

And we're back. Everyone is very surprised that Mamoru just died. Probably because he's in the opening credits and all. I would make a Joss Whedon joke, but Usagi just starts screaming in a very disturbing fashion. Like, this isn't your usual sad Usagi - this is Usagi FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. I haven't often heard a scream that real on TV. It's kinda blood curdling.

Before Usagi' trauma can do more than send shivers up my spine, she transforms into Princess Serenity (and Minako loses her crescent mark). Sad - that's such a good arc, I was hoping they'd stretch it out a bit (like in PGSM). Ah well.

Back to flashblack mode. Apparently Mamoru Endymion bleeds Roses. AHEM! I thought this WASN'T directed by Ikuhara-sama!

We back up a bit to Serenity and Endymion falling in love. Very cute. And then they kiss... in what appears to be Ohtori Academy.

Okay, seriously, can someone find Ikuhara-sama? I think he snuck in to sketch some key frames.

We get a neat prelude to the war - and then we're back with Usagi crying over Mamoru and summoning the Ginzuishou. The Ginzuishou makes nearby flowers bloom. Neat.

Beryl turns up to tell Kunzite to get the damn crystal, which he attempts. This provides an opportunity for a bunch of senshi attacks and for Beryl to get involved with some purple lightning. Minako and - and AMI block while Makoto and Rei help Usagi. Huh. I gotta say, I love all the badassery that Ami has been getting up to lately.

Anyway, it was a trick - Kunzite grabbed Mamrou while they were distracted by purple lightning.

Once again, Usagi's screams are just... not the usual anime fare. They sound like they hurt - physically hurt the actress, I mean. They're raw, hoarse, and... just fucking painful. I've always loved the work of Kotono Mitsuishi, and she just... I have no words for how well she acts this role. Her original job was good, but this is just incredible.

You know, when you have the same voice actress for the remake, you don't expect her to be better at it than she was the first time, but damn if Kotono Mitsuishi isn't better.

On the other hand, she did play Juri Arisagawa in the meantime, which I'm sure helped her range.

ANYWAY....

Back in the command center, Usagi... cries. Minako and Artemis, meanwhile, explain. It seems the other Inner Senshi didn't get their memories back automatically, so they need some prompting. That brings us to another flashback!

Oh, and on translation issues the "evil enemies" (instead of youma) is at least grammatically correct, if very awkward.

Usagi refuses the call again and then passes out.

Meanwhile, the four - count em, Four - Generals show up to stare at Mamrou... and Kunzite remembers that Usagi called him Endymion. He claims he can't remember anyone of that name, but his confused expression suggests that his memory is lingering in there somewhere.

Usagi has a nightmare about Beryl killing Mamoru - and we get our first shriveled corpse of the series! Without the generals dying, we've been spared that particularly unpleasant image until now.

Minako, Ami, and the others decide to go try to cheer up Usagi. Oh - are we going to get the hair plot? Yup! Usagi and the super long hair! I always found it odd that the original anime had an episode about Usagi's hair right here without talking about her hair suddenly growing too fast.

Gods, the expression on Usagi's face is just... haunted. Crystal certainly knows how to punch the audience in the gut (in a good way). First Kotono Mitsuishi's voice acting, and now the artwork. Aww, the others promise to help her fulfill that which couldn't be fulfilled in the past. Nice touch.

And then Luna says "Let's go to the moon." Way to kill the mood with a patently absurd statement Luna.

Oh, wow - a moon flashback that shows GRASS on the moon. Have we ever seen grass on the moon before? It looks really, really odd.

Usagi: "I will never be the tragic princess again." Damn, that line gave me shivers. The others stand up, stand beside her, and it's just so... strong. She's sad, and she cried, but she's done now. It's just such a good moment.

To Be Continued.

Woah. Okay. Some of the previous episodes have had good and bad. Also, I may have been overly excited about Minako-chan. But this... if I needed to be sold on Crystal, this did it. I don't think I've seen any other version - anime, manga, or PGSM - has ever had the power that this episode did. Kotono Mitsuishi is just fantastic, and the script is far better than the original anime for the same section. I stand in awe.

Next time:

The Moon! The SWORD! And Mini-Mom! And... ravens?

Act 10 - Moon.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Act 10 - Moon.

We begin in the Arcade with Ami giving the audience a lesson about the moon - it's gravity and period of rotation. How... educational? Usagi, meanwhile, is playing video games with Naru.

Later, Usagi looks out her bedroom window at the moon and thinks of Mamoru.

Opening Credits.

Random Observation: I kind of wish they'd gone with the PGSM idea that everyone has normal hair colors until they transform. Every once in a while, the cognitive dissonance of blonde, blue-eyed Japanese girls is a little distracting.

Anyway... after the credits, Usagi's handsome dad brings home the necklace-set Ginzuishou. I remember liking this touch in the manga, and it's just as nice here. Her dad (jokingly) asks if a boy gave it to her, and she says "yes" - to her parent's shock. Then Usagi argues with Shingo about a her PSP and her parents have one of those "our little is growing up - sort of" moments.

Later, Usagi meets the others in preparation to transport to the moon. Luna... does something? - she looks like she's constipated for a moment, and then a glowing sphere appears out of a fountain. Um... okay? Then the senshi all transform (sadly, they don't get transformation sequences - no stock footage in this show!) and are surrounded by a glowing yellow orb which transports them into space.

The senshi take a moment to admire the Earth from orbit - and then the moon from space. Ami (or Luna?) identifies their landing spot as the Sea of Serenity. There, they find... ruins. A LOT of ruins. They walk through the ruble until they reach the former prayer room and... the SWORD!!!!

Makoto tries to pull it from the stone, and fails. The others (apart from Minako and Usagi) try to help, and fail. Then Minako does it by herself cause SAILOR V IS BEST SENSHI!

Ahem.

This summons Queen Serenity, or as I prefer to call her, Mini-Mom. /dated 90s joke

Back Story!

It's the usual - Usagi used to sneak off to Earth to see green things (odd, since the flashback to the moon palace later shows plenty of trees and bushes around - were they imported?) and to meet up with her boyfriend Endymion. The Past Senshi scold Past Princess Serenity about sneaking off when they catch her returning. Cute!

The story of Metallia's invasion of earth follows, harmed slightly by a translation that turns the explanation to early gibberish. A "variant creature"? What does that mean? And, while there is clearly a picture of the sun being covered by sunspots, no mention of sunspots is made in the subtitles. **sigh** Anyway, everyone but Endymion was brain-washed by Metallia and they attacked the moon to get the Ginzuishou. So far so standard (except for the silhouette of Queen Beryl among the attackers). And, as always, Mamoru uses his squishy body as sword repellant with the expected results.

Oh, and another subtitle error. "You passed away in grief" is what he subtitle says. What the anime shows is Usagi committing suicide by impaling herself with the holy sword. Rather a large difference between "dying of grief" and full fledged suicide. I just checked the manga (I know I said I wouldn't, but this ticked me off) and they state right up front that Princess Serenity "in despair took [her] own life".

To whomever wrote the subtitles for Crystal: please A) grow some balls and B) check your script with what's on the damn screen.

Anyway...

To make things worse, when Serenity sealed the evil with the Ginzuishou, the great evil "turned the Moon Kingdom to stone." Um... okay? Since they only show the stone buildings turning to a different TYPE of stone (white marble to gray granite) this... really doesn't seem to have much impact. If they showed citizens being turned to stone, that might help some. Anyway, this also caused the "country of Earth" to "die out", effectively resetting history. Um... okay? I can't tell if this is more translation confusion or if this is from the manga (and I'm not checking again).

Once the backstory is over, the senshi express their concerns that something was drawn out of the Ginzuishou into Mamrou (who was then captured). Mini-Mom replies by saying "Its content has been drawn into?"

... that's an exact quote of the subtitle. And no, there is no line before or after that to make it make sense.

Look, I'm sorry - I don't mean to harp on the awful subtitles so much, but... the subs his episode are gibberish! I know what they mean (knowing the story already) but it's just... really annoyingly bad.

Mini-Mom reassures Usagi that Mamoru is alive, and says a heartfelt goodbye, by telling Usagi to not forget that she is a female human being. ... damn it, subtitlers! - anyway, then Mini-Mom vanishes. And everyone goes home to Japan.

The Senshi stand on a rooftop and admire earth in all its non-crater covered splendor.

Eyecatch.

Beryl, meanwhile, is heading down to the deepest cavern in her base. The Four Generals are spying on her. Because why not? They follow her to a mysterious door (while Beryl, inside, prays to Metallia). Metallia, too, suffers from bad-sub-itius with "Now that the princess has awaken," - it's awoken or awakened (depending on context).

Anyway, Beryl casually mentions that the Four Generals are missing memories. Since they overhear this while eavesdropping, they... instantly regain their memories! Yay! Or at least one memory - of them serving Endymion. Beryl, meanwhile, overhears them all talking about how they just remembered stuff. So she hits them with green lightning, as you do, which... darkens their Starseeds? Actually, I'm like 90% certain that is exactly what just happened. Holy rusted sheet-metal, Batman!

OMG - Wild Guessing time!
Okay, so this series has an opportunity that no previous version of Sailor Moon had - foreknowledge of Sailor Stars, which provides the mechanics of how Senshi work. (Technically PGSM had this too, but they weren't going to remake Sailor Stars, so it didn't matter). Even in the manga, Naoko didn't know exactly where she was going with the story - she just improvised. The anime was constantly playing catch up (several arcs of the anime were created to kill time while the manga caught up, hence some dead-end plotlines). However, this version has full knowledge of Sailor Stars and the process by which a Senshi has a unique looking Star Seed that grants them their powers - and, if corrupted, turns them evil (or evil-ish).

The original manga never really explained how the Four Generals were corrupted, just that they were. The anime didn't have that information until WAY after they'd already given an entirely different explanation for the generals, and thus they just left it out. PGSM touches on it, but again, the method is never discussed in detail.

What if Crystal intends to weave the Star Seeds into the story from season 1, thus foreshadowing the events of Sailor Stars intentionally throughout the series rather than as a ret-con at the end (as the manga did, tying all of the previously unconnected enemies together)?

Anyway.....

The senshi are examining their computer readouts when, suddenly, Tokyo gets frozen solid by the Four Generals. Um, that was quick! Usagi demands the return of Mamoru, but Kunzite counters with a demand for the Ginzuishou. And thus, battle is joined.

And Minako spills the beans about the four generals! Yay Sailor V!

And we get another flashback - to the senshi/general couples! Awesome.

The Senshi stop fighting cause they can't kill their former lovers. Well, fair enough, but can't you give your former lovers a mild beating? They've all survived your best attacks previously. But no, they decide to stand there, take hits, and beg the Four Generals to remember.

Usagi, however, is not about to deal with that bullshit. So she... she fucking JUMPS INTO ORBIT and casts Moon Healing Escalation on the whole fucking city! Because Usagi is fucking Metal in this series! The other Senshi remember that mild beatings are how they save people and hit the four Generals with Sailor Planet Attack. Um, wouldn't call that a minor beating guys. Minako starts to get through - Kunzite's Star Seed (or whatever it is) appears - but before she can finish it, the four generals escape.

Beryl, meanwhile, has properly brainwashed Mamoru. Now she has the whole set! /vague pokemon joke

And then Evil Mamoru is back on the streets.

To Be Continued.

Well, you guys got my wild guessing earlier, so no need to repeat it here. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to keep calling the gems that pop out of people's heads their Star Seeds. Since, as we all know, Star Seeds come from the Head, while Heart Crystals come from the Chest, and these are clearly coming from the forehead.

Next time:

Evil Mamoru. Well duh.

Also, Minako does something cool!

Act 11 - Endymion - Reunion.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Act 9 - Serenity - Princess

We back up a bit to Serenity and Endymion falling in love. Very cute. And then they kiss... in what appears to be Ohtori Academy.
OMC!!

What if Ohtori Academy was *in* the Silver Millenium?!?!?

It would explain sooooo much!!!

Except the car.

Nothing can explain the car.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Little Woodsman said:
OMC!!
What if Ohtori Academy was *in* the Silver Millenium?!?!?

It would explain sooooo much!!!
Actually, back in the day, a friend of mine was working on a massive fanfiction set in the Silver Millennium featuring Ohtori as another kingdom on Ancient Earth, with all of the major duelists being Generals/Senshi. I don't remember much about it, except that Juri and Ruka somehow shared a Star Seed between them, resulting in awkwardness. It may have involved the original concept stuff where a kiss was required to activate magical girl powers (ie, back when Kozue, Utena, and Juri were a group of magical girls who required kisses to gain their powers ala the Mai Hime manga).

Also, props for being the only person here to get my Utena comments (probably - I don't recall anyone else bringing them up).

As for the car - of course nothing can explain the car. Because the car is what explains everything.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Act 10 - Moon.

Oh, and another subtitle error. "You passed away in grief" is what he subtitle says. What the anime shows is Usagi committing suicide by impaling herself with the holy sword. Rather a large difference between "dying of grief" and full fledged suicide. I just checked the manga (I know I said I wouldn't, but this ticked me off) and they state right up front that Princess Serenity "in despair took [her] own life".

To whomever wrote the subtitles for Crystal: please A) grow some balls and B) check your script with what's on the damn screen.
Now I'm not going to claim that the subtitle for the "immediate release" of the series is good by any means (more on that later), but, this is weird, and I can't be *certain*.. but if you listen carefully Queen Serenity just seems to be saying "And you also" during that bit, so the subtitle would actually be taking things a bit farther than the original Japanese dialogue.

Like I say, weird.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Act 10 - Moon.

Well, you guys got my wild guessing earlier, so no need to repeat it here. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to keep calling the gems that pop out of people's heads their Star Seeds. Since, as we all know, Star Seeds come from the Head, while Heart Crystals come from the Chest, and these are clearly coming from the forehead.
Relevant to nothing {grin} but when we were watching the original series in club, at one point someone asked why nobody ever just *hit* their opponents in combat in the series.

I was about to launch in to my usual speech about the obvious physical durability of the characters when someone else chimed in with "Well in the world this is set in everybody has a crystal in their heart, a mirror in their chest and a jewel in their forehead so punching an opponent would be way too hazardous." {grin}

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Little Woodsman said:
Relevant to nothing {grin} but when we were watching the original series in club, at one point someone asked why nobody ever just *hit* their opponents in combat in the series.

I was about to launch in to my usual speech about the obvious physical durability of the characters when someone else chimed in with "Well in the world this is set in everybody has a crystal in their heart, a mirror in their chest and a jewel in their forehead so punching an opponent would be way too hazardous." {grin}
While that is a hilarious explanation, I would point out to whomever said that a flaw in his or her logic. That flaw is this: Makoto.

Also, to a lesser degree, Haruka.

Both of these characters have punched (or body-slammed, etc) enemies.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Little Woodsman said:

While that is a hilarious explanation, I would point out to whomever said that a flaw in his or her logic. That flaw is this: Makoto.

Also, to a lesser degree, Haruka.

Both of these characters have punched (or body-slammed, etc) enemies.
Yeah, that person didn't really want an explanation, he was just looking to rag on the series.

In our club the majority of people loved SM, a few were indifferent to it, a couple disliked it but had the social grace to either keep it to themselves or leave the room while it was showing... and a couple hated it and wouldn't shut up about how much they hated it and eventually had to be told to either shut up or get out.

I'm betting you can guess which category he fell in to.

Actually now my inner game geek is doing severe reappraisals of Makoto and Haruka's stats....
Haruka is either hellishly strong, or she rolled an amazing series of criticals when she punched Makoto....

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Act 11 and 12

**sigh**

Crystal remains good - better than the manga by far, but still inferior to PGSM and the original anime.

Crystal took a step backwards by saving the Four Generals... and then wasting them. I mean, it's better than in the manga where they do that scene off camera after returning from the dead for no reason, but I was hoping that Crystal meant to do something new and different. I mean, it's nice that the Senshi got to be the ones to do that instead of random deus ex machina, but after the build-up, it fell rather flat.

Also, Usagi's action at the end of episode 12 makes as little sense here as it did in the manga.

I might come back for Act 13, but I kinda doubt it. There hasn't been much interest of late, and the fact that they're wrapping the arc with Act 13 - as the manga does - is a massive disappointment. I was hoping they'd take the opportunity to do something new, but all Crystal ended up being is the Manga+.

Final Analysis:

PGSM > Sailor Moon Classic-Stars > Crystal > Manga

I haven't watched Sera Moon (the musicals) but by all reports, they probably rank somewhere around Crystal - ie better than the manga, but worse than the original anime.

I will be buying the re-release of Sailor Moon Classic-Stars for the updated Dub (I quite like it, even if Mako's voice bothers me a little). I will also pick up Crystal on DVD when it gets released. Even "meh" Sailor Moon is still pretty damn good (which is why I own all the manga, twice).

Edit: Oh, one last thing.

I've noticed, people who really hate Crystal tend to hate it because it seems like so much less than the original anime. And, it turns out, it is.

Sticking with 1 manga chapter = 1 episode is Crystal's downfall. Trying to cram the Dark Kingdom arc into 13 episodes is absolutely criminal. It squandered the potential that the added character elements and keeping the Generals alive built up. Worse yet, they squandered Beryl.

I don't hate Crystal. I don't agree with the people who say it's crap.

But I don't love it either. I started to, but Crystal squandered all the goodwill it earned and left me disappointed. Not because it's bad - because it had the potential to be better than the original anime, and it pissed that potential away for the "safety" of following the manga more closely.