Roseanne cancelled

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:
. Frasier, the Fresh Prince, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Family Matters, that was the golden age of sitcoms.
Uh no. That would be the 70's. Sanford and Son, Barney Miller, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, all are leagues past those shows.

Norman Lear could shit better material than the writers of those shows.

Though I will give you The Young Ones and Sledge Hammer! as a case for the 80's.
I wonder what All in the Family would be like if it was around today.
Archie Bunker would be a goddamned hero instead of a close to home portrayal of casual bigotry in an interesting character.

Oh and Norman Lear would be known as Norman Cuck or something.
Uh...elaborate, cause I do not understand what you are implying here... *woosh over my head . _.*
About Archie Bunker or Norman Lear?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Just Ebola said:
Avnger said:
Schadrach said:
it's OK so long as they are white.
Hmm I wonder if using some cultural context might help us solve why this is generally the case. I mean events in the world don't just exist in a bubble...

Perhaps it's generally not considered as bad because "ape", "monkey", and other animals weren't used as racial slurs against white people for centuries in the West?

So it's perfectly fine to shit on white people as long as there's no racial precedence? Cool. This leaves us in a pretty disturbing place, where it's ok to call the leader of the free world a monkey, the color of his skin makes it perfectly fine. For centuries white people have been called guineas, wops, mics, and more recently, crackers, but do you think if someone famous used one of those slurs or exhibited racism towards whites, they'd be penalized by the media? Lemme spoil the answer for you. No. Here's how Wanda Sykes responded to the whole Roseanne controversy, keep in my she's railing against working with racists. While being racist.

https://i.redditmedia.com/vhTW-oW-CsQe34kv3GyGxXTifyFpZhxoDkKG_XlAtsc.png?w=579&s=eba24197301f919d2328219e1f60b372

Because white people are the only race to conquer, apparently.
I dunno man, the British Empire, the French, the Dutch, and Spain were pretty big on pinchng other people?s shit - especially each other?s. Everything from gold to, well, whole countries as much as they can be stolen. What and how she has said is simplistic, breath takingly tone-deaf and irrelevent along with reason 68391938 you should never use Twitter for anything resembling nuanced discourse. But it isn?t untrue either as far as it being a historical factoid. In fact the only ones more conquest happy were the various Islamic empires.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gordon_4 said:
In fact the only ones more conquest happy were the various Islamic empires.
Eh, if we're going "conquest happy," we shouldn't forget the Mongols - they forged the largest empire (in terms of land) in history before the British Empire.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Just Ebola said:
Seems you got a wire crossed somewhere, I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to reiterate this: I don't give a shit about Roseanne, and it's pretty obvious why it got cancelled. I was talking about the Whole Tim Allen show debacle, how it got cancelled despite having excellent ratings. But really, as far as that infamous tweet?
Then why bring it up? I know fuck all about Tim Allen and the topic is on RB, but I'm willig to bet it was something as innocuous as money.
Seemed relevant, came up organically. For a country that is 83% Christian, it's kinda jarring that there are only 2 mainstream sitcoms that lean towards being conservative. Wait, make that one again, briefly it was zero so I get confused. Almost as if Hollywood, you know, the people who control the media are overwhelmingly liberal.
Just Ebola said:
Seems you got a wire crossed somewhere, I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to reiterate this: I don't give a shit about Roseanne, and it's pretty obvious why it got cancelled. I was talking about the Whole Tim Allen show debacle, how it got cancelled despite having excellent ratings. But really, as far as that infamous tweet?
Then why bring it up? I know fuck all about Tim Allen and the topic is on RB, but I'm willig to bet it was something as innocuous as money.

It's uncanny! As far as everything else, lets see. Everyone on the left are good and decent people,
Never said that.
You implied it.
Just Ebola said:

It's uncanny! As far as everything else, lets see. Everyone on the left are good and decent people,
Never said that.

all conservatives are Christians,
Christians certainly seem to be Christians (because that's what I actually wrote...), and given that 85% of Americans are Christian...

all Christians suck because they pray, something about Reagan for some reason. Yep, seems like your standard liberal verbal reach-around.
As opposed to this spiel? And to paraphrase as a born and raised Catholic, I do have deep problems with Evangelicals and other Protestants pretending that being sola scriptura and prayer alone can offer moral guidance.

Healthy people do not pray to find a moral compass.

They pray for intercession or to give thanks in trials or their fortunes. The Bible is just words. Whether you're a Catholic or agnostic, atheist or deist. It offers no concrete morality prose beyond its highly temporal and flawed interpretation by people.

Prayer is not magical. It's an exercise of humility. It's something that is personal, and not to be shared over Twitter. Telling people you 'prayed over something' and as if divine revelation occurred to you is saying you have received as if the beatific vision. And that is reserved for saints and prophets.

No ... anyone working on Fox News does not strike me as a saint or prophet ... given how often they seem to extol the virtues of other people's greed rather than, you know, actual Christian concepts of social justice concerning charity, common love, and being a peacemaker.

It's why the Roman Catholic Church on the flipside of so many Evangelical debate accepts global warming is a thing, and pressures world leaders to do something about it. Quite clearly global warming threatens conflict on Earth between people.

After another look, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather fuck the monkey.
Monkeys have standards. Moreover, Roseanne Barr knew exactly what shewas writing and how it would be interpreted. That's why she did it. Pretending otherwise is naivete.
I understand prayer isn't some magic good guy shield. I know plenty of people who pray regularly who are actually pretty shit. But saying that those who pray are inherently unhealthy is just insulting. And I wouldn't say liberals are healthier, seems like every other one I see needs a safe space or they'll have a panic attack. I'm not going to debate the Bible with you, I've got better things to do with my day, but saying it doesn't equip it's followers with a moral compass. It's literally got a set of commandments it's followers must adhere to.

But as long as we're poking holes in religious texts, how about the verse from the Quoran that says you should stone a woman if she gets raped? That seems like it'd be fun.

Monkeys have standards.
Sick burn.

Apr 17, 2009
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:
. Frasier, the Fresh Prince, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Family Matters, that was the golden age of sitcoms.
Uh no. That would be the 70's. Sanford and Son, Barney Miller, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, all are leagues past those shows.

Though I will give you The Young Ones and Sledge Hammer! as a case for the 80's.
Archie Bunker would be a goddamned hero instead of a close to home portrayal of casual bigotry in an interesting character.

Uh...elaborate, cause I do not understand what you are implying here... *woosh over my head . _.*
I believe the point he's making is that in the right wing lens that got Roseanne shifted into being a Trump supporter, an already bigoted character would get shifted into being the hero of the piece. Catering to the right wing crowd suddenly its not just fine but admirable for a character to hold old fashioned prejudices

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Palindromemordnilap said:
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:

I believe the point he's making is that in the right wing lens that got Roseanne shifted into being a Trump supporter, an already bigoted character would get shifted into being the hero of the piece. Catering to the right wing crowd suddenly its not just fine but admirable for a character to hold old fashioned prejudices
Yeah, the praise would be "he's just telling it like it is." and "Its so good to see a show that doesn't cower in front of the PC Police" and others would just chime in with more dog whistle racism. Basically, as long as you know the "right" dog whistle phrases and defenses (thug, illegal, etc.)... racism is becoming fashionable again. I never thought repugnant ideology would make a "comeback" like a retro fashion item... but I should always remember how badly humankind lets us all down on a regular basis.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Looking at this thread, i'm glad Paula Deen got fired years ago and all we ever saw of her afterwards was a parody in Orange is The New Black. If only they had brought back Roseanne around that time as well so that it could have quietly burned to death. They brought her back on fully aware that she was a Trump supporter, they didn't fire her because of what she voted, but the fact that she spread hateful conspiracy theories. If a Mcdonalds employee started shouting that kind of shit through the drive-in window, Mcdonalds would be well within their rights to fire said employee

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
jademunky said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... ahem.

I feel bad for John Goodman on this one. He was always way too talented for that drek and I was a little disappointed in him that he agreed to go back to it. Hope they cut him a big paycheque.

John Goodman , is one of the few actors in Hollywood who is really a class act. He never went after his co-star publicly after what she did, instead just stated he was not into twitter and was not going to get a "Emmy anyway for this show".

No matter what his personal opinions are , he did one of the classiest move that i wished more actors would follow. Hollywood is filled with people on all sides. Some are crazy others are not, but to destroy someone who has already destroyed themselves is pointless.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

I feel bad for John Goodman on this one. He was always way too talented for that drek and I was a little disappointed in him that he agreed to go back to it. Hope they cut him a big paycheque.

John Goodman , is one of the few actors in Hollywood who is really a class act. He never went after his co-star publicly after what she did, instead just stated he was not into twitter and was not going to get a "Emmy anyway for this show".

No matter what his personal opinions are , he did one of the classiest move that i wished more actors would follow. Hollywood is filled with people on all sides. Some are crazy others are not, but to destroy someone who has already destroyed themselves is pointless.
I for one thing more people in Hollywood should call out other people's BS. If they did, we might not have so many famous people be sexual predators for so long.

Not talking about problems is not classy, it is silently condoning it.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

I for one thing more people in Hollywood should call out other people's BS. If they did, we might not have so many famous people be sexual predators for so long.

(SAG_AFTRA,Disney e.t.c) will make sure Roseanne will never work, she has lost everything.With that said, Roseanne is an idiot but she is far from a sexual predator. John didn't see the point in attacking someone who has lost everything already. A human being does that because they don't want to have a person commit suicide.( Roseanne is known to have very serious depression/Anxiety problems . )

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/profile-you-may-laugh-but-shes-hurtin-roseanne-arnold-housewife-superstar-autobiographer-1368873.html

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

(SAG_AFTRA,Disney e.t.c) will make sure Roseanne will never work, she has lost everything.With that said, Roseanne is an idiot but she is far from a sexual predator. John didn't see the point in attacking someone who has lost everything already. A human being does that because they don't want to have a person commit suicide.( Roseanne is known to have very serious depression/Anxiety problems . )

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/profile-you-may-laugh-but-shes-hurtin-roseanne-arnold-housewife-superstar-autobiographer-1368873.html
I have no time to feel bad for bigots. My empathy is reserved for all the non-bigots with depression, especially when those bigots are why they are depressed. Maybe if she did not want to be so miserable, she should not have sold out her soul by betraying what I thought were once progressive feminist values. Guess what! Being a feminist and being a Trump supporter are not compatible.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

I have no time to feel bad for bigots. My empathy is reserved for all the non-bigots with depression, especially when those bigots are why they are depressed. Maybe if she did not want to be so miserable, she should not have sold out her soul by betraying what I thought were once progressive feminist values. Guess what! Being a feminist and being a Trump supporter are not compatible.
Mental disorders come from chemical imbalances in the brain, really has nothing to do with beliefs. So it could have leaded her to turn more into a racist person over time. I do understand why you are disappointed though, she betrayed what you hold dear and that is a hard pill to swallow for anyone. Personally, I never totally believe anyone on Tv /web to actual always stand for what they say and it does save my sanity during elections. As for feminist Trump supporters ,one bad apple should never represent a group of people. Now if we had a bushel of rotten apples that would be a different story.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Just Ebola said:
Seemed relevant, came up organically. For a country that is 83% Christian, it's kinda jarring that there are only 2 mainstream sitcoms that lean towards being conservative. Wait, make that one again, briefly it was zero so I get confused. Almost as if Hollywood, you know, the people who control the media are overwhelmingly liberal.
Because fascists suck at being intentionally funny (also fascists have a problem with individual agency, reformation, and people who scoff at nationalist sentiments)? They tend to suck at observational humour and come off as just sheltered and unable of punching upwards without making up conspiracy theories about 'Social Justice Warriors'. Please define 'liberal' sitcom media. Big Bang Theory... nerds being tropishly nerds for cheap laughs.

See, a 'liberal' in your interpretation might be someone that says; "SJWs in media? More like Social Justice Unicorns... the stuff of legend, beautiful, noble, and utterly non-extant."

Conservatives appeal to authority figures, and satire is funniest when it seeks to bring low the people in power and transform them into humans rather than monolithic structures of oppression.

Big Bang Theory is awful in all sorts of ways, but if Sheldon was gay it would simply get decried as 'liberal media' ... despite the thespian actually being gay, for the sake of the typical conservative American in comparison elsewhere ... he was made straight. They didn''t say, "Well... how do you think the character would find real chemistry or comedy with the persona you've created?" No... of course not. And pf course the answer to that is it shouldn't matter whether the character is gay or not ... but nerd boy occasionally finding his nerd girl to put up with his childish bullshit is, hilariously, perhaps more telling of the self-unaware, myopic and comical tropes of what viewers find 'inoffensive'.

Because heaven forbid if people realize they should actually actively be better than they are through reciprocated self-authentication. Not just selfish people... it's also that whole 'character development' thing...

But rarely since shows like Malcolm in the Middle did sitcoms actually start getting to grips with the ugly side of family and social consciousness dynamics.

How is Big Bang Theory not conservative? It's also terribly unfunny, because art exists to push the envelope of its own expression. Arts, as the name implies, delves into notions of evolution of expression and social consciousness. If 'liberal' is just a shorthand for punching upwards, not actually defining like political theory... sitcoms are sitcoms because they have a vested interest in trying to draw in the largest possible audience.

Malcolm in the Middle can be interpreted either/or... but to do so is to cheapen just how decently watchable a show it was. Surely we're beyond this garbage of transforming everything we watch into 'liberal' or 'conservativve' and rather just address its key issues without such intellectual bankruptcy?

Malcolm is a smart kid locked into a poorer side of suburban family life where success means perpetual self-loathing and recognition of just how unfair the state of play actually is. Reese is publicly scoffed at by his parents and teachers as insinuating he'll never make anything of himself. Then you have Dewey ... Who is arguably the most innocent and intelligent of the four brothers, but he acknowledges his 'chldhood is destroyed' due to the fact that he is simply the smallest and least empowered that he routinely gets in trouble despite having little actual say beyond quiet, relunctant, or uninformed acceptance on his elder brothers' activities.

Mix that with an authoritarian mother who has to be authoritarian in order to steer the ever sinking ship that is her family through routinely bad waters ... and a bumbling, but openly loving father figure who is atthe same time rather passively selfish and can get away with being the loved parental figure because he has an authoritarian wife that does all the disciplining, works hard, and has to ultimately take care of a lot of badly behaving kids.

... I fucking loved MitM ... I have opinions on it and how anyone can watch it regardless of their political bent and see why it was a deceptively clever critique of the modern family and perceptions of the solidly working class and their consciousness of that. I also watch My Little Pony ... and I'll go at lengths to talk about why it's a good show that will entangle you with its charm, if you just let it.

I can do all of this without calling it'liberal' or 'conservative'.

You implied it.
Seems like paranoia to me. Also, why would you care?

I understand prayer isn't some magic good guy shield. I know plenty of people who pray regularly who are actually pretty shit. But saying that those who pray are inherently unhealthy is just insulting. And I wouldn't say liberals are healthier, seems like every other one I see needs a safe space or they'll have a panic attack. I'm not going to debate the Bible with you, I've got better things to do with my day, but saying it doesn't equip it's followers with a moral compass. It's literally got a set of commandments it's followers must adhere to.
Because it is unhealthy. If you need to pray to find your basic decorum, moral compass, and your basic restraint, empathy, and compassion... you're a sick person. If you're having a bad day, and you snap, you apologize. You show remorse. You don't tell the world that God granted you an epiphany...

It's a sickness.

For starters, it's false.

And frankly, once again, very much a Protestant reactionary thing. It lacks sincerity, humility, and simply false.

But as long as we're poking holes in religious texts, how about the verse from the Quoran that says you should stone a woman if she gets raped? That seems like it'd be fun.
Another reason why religious texts should just be considered words.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just Ebola said:
Gonna have to ask for some pretty direct attribution on that one. The Bible mentions stoning for adultery, including the parable denouncing the practice (implying that the Romans stoned people to death.) But the Wikipedia entry on stoning (or Rajim) in Islamic law says it isn't mentioned specifically in the Quran, but only in several Haddiths (or reports from others on things the prophet said.) And the wiki article gives attribution for their research. It is true that several Islamic majority countries have used those Haddiths as a basis to proscribe stoning a punishment for adultery. But saying that is a part of the Quran is like saying Israel is right for building settlements wherever they want to because the Book of Joel says it will protect them from locusts. The Book of Joel isn't in the Christian Bible, so its somehow ok for Christians to favor Jewish Abrahamic religion over Islamic because of something that isn't in the Christian book? Its interpreting religion to suit your needs rather than just following the spirit of the intent.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RobertEHouse said:
As for feminist Trump supporters ,one bad apple should never represent a group of people. Now if we had a bushel of rotten apples that would be a different story.
How many feminists do you know of that support Trump (that are high profile enough that the rest of us would know of)?

I'm guessing somewhere between "zero" and "one or two people claiming to be feminists that the mainstream feminism rejects".

Because being a feminist and supporting Trump aren't compatible.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

Mental disorders come from chemical imbalances in the brain, really has nothing to do with beliefs. So it could have leaded her to turn more into a racist person over time. I do understand why you are disappointed though, she betrayed what you hold dear and that is a hard pill to swallow for anyone. Personally, I never totally believe anyone on Tv /web to actual always stand for what they say and it does save my sanity during elections. As for feminist Trump supporters ,one bad apple should never represent a group of people. Now if we had a bushel of rotten apples that would be a different story.
One bad apple? Trump is that bad apple. To support Trump is intrinsically to oppose feminism. When you vote for someone, you vote for what they believe in, that is what voting is, atleast when you're voting for them to be in charge of something. Mental disorders can only defend a person to a point. It cannot excuse everything.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WolvDragon said:
So what happened to Roseanne politically? It wasn't that long ago that she ran on a left leaning platform for president in 2012 and now she supports Trump?
Rosanne Barr has always been a Libertarian to my knowledge and jumped on the Trump train the two times he's run. She's always been very right leaning.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
Saelune said:
RobertEHouse said:
jademunky said:

One bad apple? Trump is that bad apple. To support Trump is intrinsically to oppose feminism. When you vote for someone, you vote for what they believe in, that is what voting is, atleast when you're voting for them to be in charge of something. Mental disorders can only defend a person to a point. It cannot excuse everything.
True, people should vote for what a candidate stands for in theory. Sadly it's not so cut and dry as recent elections in US,Euro have shown. People now like to protest vote for candidates no matter their beliefs, but for selfish petty reasons. As for Mental disorder and the line in which it can defend a person's actions. That to this day is still argued in court during "insanity defense" and by social workers. Would be nice if it all was so cut and dry, then maybe we could actually fix the world's problems one step at a time.